Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,156 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Beaufort? Looks great online. Employment? Crime? Fishing? Political climate?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 02:01 PM

7,055 posts, read 12,560,065 times
Try this city data link for the demographic info you requested:

Beaufort, North Carolina (NC) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Great fishing, employment is best in teaching or tourism-related or home construction/remodeling areas--or medical related. Not a lot of industry here, though there are several boat-building companies (Parker Marine is one) and a wood veneer factory. Small business owners make up the bulk of the businesses.

B'fort's a cute town that's turning from a traditional fishing village into an upscale retirement community. New PGA golf course just opened (The north River Club). That new housing development will practically double the size of the town when built out.

You'll find re-locaters from many places here. Being on the Intercoastal Waterway (ICW) means it's a favorite port for many cruisers, with many amenities for sail and power boats.

There's a well-preserved historic district wit homes dating from the 1700's and new subdivisions. A plain jane house of 1200-1400 in one of the older subs might be in the under $200,000 range, while homes with water views and docks can go up into the millions.

A 3/2 house can be rented starting at $950, apts. for less.

Though in the hurricane belt, we've not had one of substance in the past two years.

Lots of live music, artists and writers and other creative folks of all kinds live here.

What else can I tell you? e moved here from a large West Coast metro area about 4 years ago and adore our new lifestyle. We both work over the internet. People are friendly and kind and we've made new friends easily.

The water is beautiful, bird life plentiful and Cape Lookout National Seashore has miles of sand to explore. It's an easy day trip on a small ferry or your own boat...

Hope this helps. If you want an easy, water-oreinted lifestyle, with all you need close at hand, this area has much to offer. Those who need glitter and glamor might be bored.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:05 PM

7,055 posts, read 12,560,065 times
Oh, also check out this city data forum discussion thread for more opinions about Beaufort and its neighboring city, Morehead City:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...tml#post301484

Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,156 times
Thanks LittleDolphin. Your post was very helpful.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:38 PM

713 posts, read 3,911,516 times
Smile Beaufort is a beautiful place

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadeeLoo View Post
Can anyone tell me about Beaufort? Looks great online. Employment? Crime? Fishing? Political climate?

Thanks!
Beaufort has a wonderful historic district and attracts a number of tourists.

There is a great Maritime Museum and lots of other stuff to do that you can see in my Beaufort Travel Guide (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguide - broken link).

We looked for three years for a place that we could afford on the water in the Beaufort area. We ended up finding a spot on the White Oak River on the western side of Carteret County near the beaches of Emerald Isle.

We are only 35 minutes from Beaufort and are much closer to the beaches than if we lived in Beaufort. We also can have a boat behind our home here so that is a big deal for me.

We have a skiff and a kayak both of which I really enjoy.

If you search for dsobotta on the forums, you will find a lot of posts that I have done about the general area (http://coastalnc.org/generalarea - broken link).

My only complaints about Beaufort are that the most desirable homes are now owned by out of town people who can afford the expensive homes in the historic district. That means a lot of the homes are empty when you walk around in the evening.

The other minor gripe is that all the services are really on the other side of Morehead City. If there is any kind of hitch with the drawbridge, it is a lot quicker to get to those services from our area than from Beaufort.

The drawbridge may look cute, but it is a huge traffic bottle neck.

You can find area info at my websites. A good place to start is the Southern Outerbanks one.

There is not a lot of employment other than service industries in our whole area. You can check that out in the classified sections (broken link) of the Carteret County News.

Employment opportunities are little better in our end of the county because of the proximity to Jacksonville and Camp Lejeune.

Job opportunities are much better in Wilmington, but you get traffic and other big city challenges.

I have enjoyed almost all of NC's beach areas. We even evaluated everything from Virginia's Eastern Shore and Chincoteague down to Oak Island before we decided on the Cape Carteret area.

Moderator cut: links removed

In general, the area is low crime with a mature population, but it is a very active area where people have lots of fun in the out of doors.

The fishing in the whole area is fantastic. Here is a post about one of my great fishing memories near Beaufort.

This post is about some fishing I did this summer near Bogue Inlet for Spanish Mackerel and Bluefish.

We also just got some Spots last weekend.

Here is a link to our catch of spots and one interloper (http://coastalnc.org/spots - broken link) we caught in the White Oak River about five minutes from our home.

This area is one of the great fisheries of North America. I often fly fish off my dock and have some great fun.

That also means we have access to some of the great seafood around from Blue Crabs to fantastic grouper, tuna, and wonderful local shrimp.

As to political climate, it doesn't take much to stir the pot in Beaufort. You will find ever stripe of politics in Carteret County though I think in general the county is pretty conservative.

People pretty well mind there own business here. One last thing, here's is a post about the raising of one of Black Beard's cannons.

If you want more detailed answers to your questions, I would be glad to talk to you. I really like Beaufort and would be living there now had we found the right spot at the right price.

-David Sobotta

Last edited by Yac; 10-31-2007 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 10-27-2007, 10:29 AM

954 posts, read 4,365,517 times
Get in now because its getting more expensive all the time. My niece married and moved there about 10 years ago. The growth is getting explosive on the outskirts of town.
There is a lot of weekend and winter money from Up North and Raleigh buying in the area.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,568,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadeeLoo View Post

Thanks!
Look on the maine boards for starwalker she lives in Beaufort
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina