U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:58 AM

844 posts, read 2,677,580 times

Advertisements

My wife & I are nearing retirement (5 or less years), and are considering retirement to New Bern; That said, we haven't ruled out the Pinehurst/Southern Pines, or Calabash areas.

While the New Bern area is nice, especially the Brices Creek area, there are also some nice areas down towards Havelock. I know some folks aren't too crazy about Havelock, but it's only a short distance to NB, and again, the housing is noticeably lower there.

We've made a few trips down to NB; lastest one was last summer, and the building is amazing. Developments such as Carolina Colours are nice, but the prices are climbing!

We are somewhat worried about the hurricanes on the coast, so my wife wants to look at the Pinehurst area again. However, we've always close to the beach in the Jersey shore area, and find it hard to imagine not being within a 1/2 hour's drive to the beach.

Has anyone seen any significant hurricane damage in NB?

Your insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank you,....marc & joan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 10,736 times
My mother lives in New Bern and I visit at least twice a year. She has 3 sisters and their families who live there also. I enjoy visiting the family but truely have to say NB is the most boring place I have ever been. Unless you own a boat there is nothing to do unless you like to drive down to the beach. There is NO night life in NB.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:27 PM

505 posts, read 2,314,115 times
New Bern would be the perfect place if you have a boat, thats for sure. Overall, New Bern is a great little town. Sure there is not much night life, but I'm sure you probably are not looking for that anyway. I agree that Brices Creek is the nicest area.

Don't worry about Hurricanes. I lived in New Bern through all the biggies!

Old 11-11-2007, 05:29 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,865,001 times
I wonder if you've had the opportunity to visit Beaufort yet? We chose it over New Bern.

We've been here 4 years now and don't find it boring at all...our schedule this week includes a sail and dinner aboard friends' new boat, yoga, a ladies' dance night, a pot luck, and we just came from a musical afternoon on the waterfront to raise money for an ailing singer/musician...there's usually something going on most every night, including dinners with friends or at one of the many restaurants, the library's "Let's Talk About It" series, wine-tasting, and then there's the golf, boating, fishing, beach-combing, bicycling-riding, art, weaving, photography and quilting classes, and boat-building at the Watercraft Center.

And we knew not a soul when we moved here.

I guess if you want NY theater and big museums, you'll not find them here, but everything that's important (friendship, beauty, music and creative opportunities) are here in abundance. But your mileage may vary.

We wanted a small, friendly, quaint, water-side village and that's exactly what we found in Beaufort.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:50 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,644,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaflyer View Post
My mother lives in New Bern and I visit at least twice a year. She has 3 sisters and their families who live there also. I enjoy visiting the family but truely have to say NB is the most boring place I have ever been. Unless you own a boat there is nothing to do unless you like to drive down to the beach. There is NO night life in NB.
I second that. I have relatives in the Newport area and if I had to live there I'd end up hanging myself

Old 11-12-2007, 08:07 PM

103 posts, read 852,253 times
I love New Bern and you have Tryon Palace. It is close to the beach. I would love to live there myself.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,099 times
My family has lived in New Bern for over 70 years and have never suffered any hurricane damage. It is a nice place to live, there are plenty of activities to do if you like a historical town and the beach or the capital are not a long drive away.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:05 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,357,197 times
Little Dolphin said, "We wanted a small, friendly, quaint, water-side village and that's exactly what we found in Beaufort"
Well put Little Dolphin! And that best describes most of coastal NC and the Inner Banks. Yes-we are growing-Some areas more than others. But Raleigh or NYC we ain't!! (or gonna be!).
Hurricanes. You can run but you can't hide. Nowhere in NC is safe. Example; In 1989 Charlotte was hit by Hurricane Hugo. In 2004 the mountains (western NC) was impacted by hurricanes-Storms that came up thru the Gulf and hit the "backside" of NC.
The majority of deaths associated with hurricanes comes from inland flooding-Not wind. Not coastal flooding.
There are many ways to tell if a property is prone to flooding before you buy. The most common misconception folks have is about Flood Zones. Most panic if a property is given a Flood Zone designation. Don't because you will along the coast. Flood zone designations are not a necessarily a blanket statement, but rather can change in a very short distance.
The image provided here is of a neighborhood in Morehead City, NC. It shows within a baseball throw's distance that there are three diferent flood zones.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:16 AM

49 posts, read 250,690 times
We moved to New Bern from Maryland last August. We were immediatly visited by the Welcome Wagon who put us in touch with the Newcomers' Club. We have met so many nice folks from all over the area, and they have activity groups for just about any interest. My husband is retired, I still work, but night life is no longer a criteria for me. The biggest adjustment for me is the lack of shopping, having come from the land of Mega Malls and Big Box Stores. But I am adjusting, and Greenville and Jacksonville have everything we need if we want to take a drive. I live in Carolina Colours, and we are developing our own social network as the community grows. This side of town is nice. Rt 70 may be more developed than we want soon enough. Havelock has some very nice residential areas. I would not rule it out. The drawbridge will be closed for reconstruction for 3 years (they built the new Woodrow Wilson Bridge in less time), but the detour is only an extra 5 minutes into town. The best thing about this area is the people. Everyone is so friendly, even the former Yankees - a majority of the people I talk to moved here from somewhere else. We have spent every weekend for the past couple of months visiting the small towns in the area, there is some sort of Festival somewhere every weekend. Went to Swansboro yesterday to look around. They are having their annual Christmas Festival and Flotilla Thanksgiving weekend, plan to take all my kids. The flotillas are great, everyone strings lights on their boats and sets sail on the rivers and creeks. New Bern will to theirs the following weekend, followed by Oriental. This is not a good place for young folks who want night life, but I have been there and done that, and am really enjoying the slower pace. If you want to remain busy after retirement, this is a great place.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:21 PM

14 posts, read 26,050 times
Default looking for hobby farm in New Bern area

My wife and I are thinking about retiring to the New Bern area but we want to find a little farm, like 15-20 acres with a house and a barn, nearby woods for hunting and absolutely no restrictive covenants. Some people might call it a "hobby farm". We would want to be abut 1/2 hour to 45 minutes away from town and not near any areas that might get developed into subdivisions. Does anyone know where I might look for property that would fit that description? Does anyone know of a realtor who handles that kind of property?

Last edited by spatin; 04-27-2008 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina