U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,340 times

Advertisements

Looking to move and retire to NC next year. Not into Golf but like nice views, really want lots of shopping, good medical, pharmacy near by and want to live in a development with new/newer construction, don't want to worry too much about hurricanes. We heard that near coast is better for seabreezes to beat the heat. I think St. James plantation is likely too expensive for us.. Suggestions please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 PM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katstorm View Post
Looking to move and retire to NC next year. Not into Golf but like nice views, really want lots of shopping, good medical, pharmacy near by and want to live in a development with new/newer construction, don't want to worry too much about hurricanes. We heard that near coast is better for seabreezes to beat the heat.
It sounds like you are describing a larger city like Greenville, which has the about the best medical care around. However, you can't have both seabreezes and being able to avoid hurricanes.

Jacksonville has newer developments at the edges of town and half-way decent shopping. We aren't thrilled with the medical care in Jacksonville, as they cater to the younger population. We haven't found a good internal medicine doctor, so we use family practice doctors.

Holly Ridge is just inland from the beach, and doesn't have much for shopping, and only a couple of doctors. There are a new developments geared toward smaller budgets.

You did not mention Wilmington, and it is worth considering. There is decent medical care and shopping. There are many new developments within Wilmington catering to retirees, like the Village at Motts Landing.

It sounds like you need to visit a few developments, and get a feel for what you like and what is within you budget. All the coastal areas have some risk of hurricanes, and you should think about the risk/reward tradeoff. Good luck, it will be an adventure!

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-29-2013 at 07:39 PM..

Old 03-30-2013, 07:10 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,355,005 times
The Wilmington area is surprisingly resilient to Hurricanes...the southern end of New Hanover county would fit the description well, still close to everything, but also having those breezes.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:54 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,509,130 times
Goldenage, as usual, has offered wonderful advice

I personally would steer clear of Jacksonville and focus on either Greenville or Wilmington. With that said though, both do feel somewhat humid in Summer still, at least by my standards, but I personally think Jacksonville is worse.

As Goldenage has said, there are new developments in Jacksonville such as the housing up along the Western Extension (Carolina Forest and beyond). However, I personally don't think Jacksonville has 'lots of shopping'. There's one small, pathetic excuse for a mall, a couple of Walmarts, a Target, and a few more stores coming- but shopping is definitely superior in Wilmington and Greenville. Most of my friends and I used to go to Wilmington for decent shopping, and even decent grocery stores although it's quite a distance.

Holly Ridge has even less than Jacksonville- it has some new houses but very little beyond that.

Also, medical isn't great in Jacksonville or Holly Ridge. I was never happy with the services offered by Onslow Memorial, and for really major medical issues you get referred to either Pitt Memorial in Greenville or New Hanover in Wilmington. Statistically speaking, the number of Doctors in Jacksonville is less than the national average, probably owing to the younger population.

Views are also about zero in Jacksonville- I hate to say it but it's the ugliest town I ever laid eyes on and I really resented living 4+ years there.

If I had to move back to the area again, I would probably gravitate toward Wilmington with Greenville as a second choice.

Good luck to you and I hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 03-30-2013, 07:19 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
I say go for Morehead City. Have pretty good big box shopping, close to ocean. You just have to deal with hurricanes. The water quality near Morehead is soooo much better than down around Wilmington. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 AM

19,506 posts, read 17,752,194 times
I would say neither. You want nice views and no hurricanes, head Asheville or Boone.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:33 AM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Views are also about zero in Jacksonville- I hate to say it but it's the ugliest town I ever laid eyes on and I really resented living 4+ years there.
Agreed, there is little reason to be in Jacksonville unless you are a military retiree and want the commissary shopping benefits.

Views in the coastal plain are mostly waterfront. If you can afford ocean-front, sound-front or river-front property, you can have a great view. Otherwise, the coastal plain is flat, agricultural land or pine forests.

Wilmington has some great gardens, and great live-oaks line some of the roads. The Azalea festival is soon, so there is beauty to be found.

We could provide better suggestion if the OP supplied their budget to buy or rent housing, and whether they are willing to pay monthly fees for an HOA community.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 AM

107 posts, read 215,044 times
Morehead City, Jacksonville and Holly Ridge are GREAT areas...I love living by the water and most all my customers who buy homes are drawn to these areas because of the access to saltwater living, the breezes, the stillness, the recreation. So we have a hurricane once in a while, if it is a two or higher, I leave for a day and go inland, and then return back to paradise.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,819,482 times
The people recommending Greenville over Jacksonville, medical aside. I can't think of any way Greenville is better than Jacksonnville. You're just swapping young Marines for young college students (and the Marines party in Greenville so you'll still get them), plus higher crime and worse traffic.

If you feel you can't afford the Wilmington area I'd say look at Swansboro, Sneads Ferry, and Hubert. These places you can find cheaper waterfront livinf than St James but be convenient to the retail in Jacksonville. Jacksonville has the most retail on the coast outside of Wilmington.

Other areas you may want to look at is south of Wilmington between it and Myrtle Beach. There are areas that seem to be pretty cheap areas that about equidistant between the two.

In Jacksonville proper you may be able to find some steals downtown on the water. The downtown is pretty rundown in areas. They closed down all the seedy bars and dens of iniquity from the infamous bygone days of Court Street but haven't replaced them with anything as all the retail moved to the Western extension in the 90's at the same time they were scuttling downtown. A lot of boarded up buildings. That said they have incentives, too, for people to move downtown.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,355,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
The people recommending Greenville over Jacksonville, medical aside. I can't think of any way Greenville is better than Jacksonnville. You're just swapping young Marines for young college students (and the Marines party in Greenville so you'll still get them), plus higher crime and worse traffic.

If you feel you can't afford the Wilmington area I'd say look at Swansboro, Sneads Ferry, and Hubert. These places you can find cheaper waterfront livinf than St James but be convenient to the retail in Jacksonville. Jacksonville has the most retail on the coast outside of Wilmington.

Other areas you may want to look at is south of Wilmington between it and Myrtle Beach. There are areas that seem to be pretty cheap areas that about equidistant between the two.

In Jacksonville proper you may be able to find some steals downtown on the water. The downtown is pretty rundown in areas. They closed down all the seedy bars and dens of iniquity from the infamous bygone days of Court Street but haven't replaced them with anything as all the retail moved to the Western extension in the 90's at the same time they were scuttling downtown. A lot of boarded up buildings. That said they have incentives, too, for people to move downtown.
I think most families would disagree with you about Greenville and Jacksonville. Greenville is a great place to raise children, ECU provides entertainment opportunities and facilities, and the City has outstanding facilities and youth programs...and at this point Greenville has world class medical facilities...they are just putting the finishing touches on the new Children's Hospital. The majority of the schools are adequate to good performing. I'm not trying to put down Jacksonville, and you yourself are proposing to live "outside" of Jacksonville. In terms of crime, people have to realize that Greenville supports more than its 85K population...many of the crimes you hear of in Greenville are outsiders coming in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina