U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 PM

12 posts, read 19,243 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Well looks like we are moving and even though we plannedon renting we found a house "down East" that we like. I have a 11 yr old 5th grade and a 13 yr old 7th grade. We come from a very academic driven school my 13 yr old is on National Junior honors society class Pres and A/B where as my son needs extra intervention from the schools topull ll iff his A and B's do you think we will be happy with the down east schools? I will be working in Morehead should i considertrying to enroll them there?A local told me Coastal NC is not big on pushing the academics or have a strong educational system esp down east can this be true or is it one of those the push needs to alao come from home? Please help this is the only reservation i have about moving. And yes i know diwn east is less populated and more spread out and further away, that's our style ;-) Thanks.please excuse the typos my phone is acting up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM

2,399 posts, read 3,354,053 times
Congrats....

I would recommend enrolling your kids in the local Carteret school and getting involved. The push definitely needs to come from home to excel...you will likely find other kids of highly educated families that are excelling. Lots of parents throw the schools under the bus as an excuse for their kids not doing well (many times its the parents not performing their role...ya know...parenting). The nice thing about public schools is that you do have a "voice" in what goes on...volunteer, join the PTA, talk to the principal, speak at Board of Education meetings...if you are unsatisfied with the system after going through that process...then consider alternatives.

Or you could go based on what someone else's opinion is/was....unfortunately that is what too many do.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
HP1, she's talking specifically of the Down East area, defined as the area o Carteret ****y east of Beaufort. OP you would be historically correct in what you heard. North River, Harker's Island, Merrimon, and the other community didn't push academics unless you are talking about AG. Not anti academic by any means but focus was more on the fishing and farming which was the livelihood of the region. A region that most people didn't leave very often. Fortunately That is no longer the case. Hell Harker's ISland, whihc not too many years ago didn't even have a bridge connecting them to the main land, and was known for it's isolation (resulting in an accent and use of words that is akin to the Queen's English of the original settlers) is home to the top elementary/middle school in the county (the school is K-8th grade). Actually, most of the Down East schools are K-8. Noneof the schools in Carteret County, to include Down East are rated lower than a 7 based on test scores. The high school, East Carteret is the worst in the county, but of the three HSs, that's like winning bronze at the Olympics. It's not bad, just the other two HSs are better. Carteret County, along with a few other places in ENC are the exception rather than the rule when it comes to education. The only school system that is as good or better is probably Dare County. Not to say there aren't a few more great school systems and individually better schools on the coast. To use the chamber of commerce marketing term, the "Crystal Coast" truly is a gem.

Carteret County Public Schools in Beaufort, NC | GreatSchools
Middle Schools in Carteret County Public Schools - Beaufort, NC | GreatSchools
High Schools in Carteret County Public Schools - Beaufort, NC | GreatSchools

I will say extra curricular activities is a big driver for academics in the area. Not necessarily sports, but clubs and everything in general. Participation is often tied to grades and everybody participates so the high academics is a by product of school involvement.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:55 PM

That's good to hear about the Carteret schools....

I use my statements as a guide even long before those ridiculous "great school" websites and ratings...There are a ton of UNC, NC State, ECU, and other good college alums that went to the worst rated schools on those websites.

Certainly in terms of relocating, schools are one of the considerations, but once you move try them out before making decisions. And give it more than a week, typically you will find out that the schools rating isn't necessarily indicative of the effort the schools puts in, but instead indicative of the population it is serving. I had to remind a elderly person that was volunteering in a very poor rural school area recently that many of those children's grandparents don't know how to read and dropped out of school in the 6th or 7th grade, which was typical in rural areas. As much as we tend to complain about schools these days, no one thought twice about dropping out to help at home or on the farm 60 years ago...

Old 04-05-2013, 06:09 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
You child will do as well as you expect them too. Have high expectations, visit the teachers, communicate via email, push you child at home, check his or her agenda for homework assignments, realize your child is important to their teachers, but not a lot more than 90+ others.

I teach in a great school, but it is 90% parent expectations and guidance. Don't worry about the schools, worry about enforcing the requirement of great education to your child every single day.

Also, contributing to classroom needs, pencils, tissue, paper towels is a great way to get to know your childs teachers. You won't be "buying grades" but the message to the teacher is that this is a parent who gets it, and I can have any discussion I need with him or her.

Good luck. Like was stated earlier a lot of great college grads have come from suspect schools.

If you want some numbers, check out the NC DPI "report card"page. You have to be careful in interpretting the data, but with experience it is easy to smoke out bad, and really good schools. But be careful!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 AM

12 posts, read 19,243 times
Thank you and yes I know alot of the push comes from home. Already my 5th grader (who struggles in school) is planning what college he is going to (he plans on going to his least fav. the one he doesnt root for because he knows they have a better environmental program). We support this at home and it is in the school they are in. i've just never knew which is the one with the most impact. I guess i'm afraid if they are in an environment that most kids don't have the drive to go to college they may fall into that also. But i feel pretty confidant that we can keep them on the right track.

I guess i have concerns if my son will receive intervention if needed (one of his teachers once told me he would do fine at a regular school:[ )

I've seen the school ratings and I'm aware that is not always a clear view of the school. I would love to hear some local reviews on East vs West.
Thank you so much this is a hard decision!

Old 04-06-2013, 07:29 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etraveler View Post
I guess i'm afraid if they are in an environment that most kids don't have the drive to go to college they may fall into that also. But i feel pretty confidant that we can keep them on the right track.

I guess i have concerns if my son will receive intervention if needed (one of his teachers once told me he would do fine at a regular school:[ )

I've seen the school ratings and I'm aware that is not always a clear view of the school. I would love to hear some local reviews on East vs West.
Thank you so much this is a hard decision!
It would help if you said exactly which school your son would attend next year. Hopefully someone will have had an experience which can re-assure you.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:02 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
The benefit of the smaller schools in the East, is everyone knows each other. There's a reason the Eastern Carteret schools run from K-8th. They have to in order to have a decent enough population to have a school. In smaller schools like that teachers can invest more in to each student individually and there's something to be said for the stability of that to. When you get to the high schools the dynamic changes as the larger schools get more money and thus have more tangible resources available. You'll hear great things about Croatan, but that's more a refelction of the parentage of the students than any inherent superiority of the staff or school. West Carteret is the largest school and thus gets the most money and has the most stuff, more classes, more clubs , and what not. East Carteret, for the 2011-2012 school year, was actually the only one of the 3 high schools ranked nationally by US News, though. You still have smaller class sizes there.

My opinion still boils down to West Carteret is better, but there's nothing wrong with East. Your kids may have an easier time assimilating into the school population in the West vs East, but that's pure speculation on my part based on the population of the two areas they serve. I'm pretty familair with West Carteret High and the Newport area elementary and middle shcools, but less intimately familiar with the Eastern schools beyond reputation.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 AM

14 posts, read 24,969 times
I beg to differ with the consensus here. We moved to Beaufort from Michigan this year, and the schools are nowhere near as good. My son is re-learning things he learned in Michigan in elementary school (he is currently in middle school). If your child has any kind of special needs, good luck. Many parents of kids with special needs homeschool down here out of necessity. It has been such a trying experience, we are ready to move to the western side of the county at least, if not out of the state.

Yes, they are smaller schools, but decades behind in terms of best practices in teaching. They don't use any kind of rubrics, and send home crosswords and word searches as homework worth actual points. There is also a heavy emphasis on athletics.

Of course, this is based on my experience, but I am a former teacher, having taught for almost 20 years myself, and from what I see, there isn't a whole lot of great teaching going on, at least on the east side of the county.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flootsmith View Post
I beg to differ with the consensus here. We moved to Beaufort from Michigan this year, and the schools are nowhere near as good. My son is re-learning things he learned in Michigan in elementary school (he is currently in middle school). If your child has any kind of special needs, good luck. Many parents of kids with special needs homeschool down here out of necessity. It has been such a trying experience, we are ready to move to the western side of the county at least, if not out of the state.

Yes, they are smaller schools, but decades behind in terms of best practices in teaching. They don't use any kind of rubrics, and send home crosswords and word searches as homework worth actual points. There is also a heavy emphasis on athletics.

Of course, this is based on my experience, but I am a former teacher, having taught for almost 20 years myself, and from what I see, there isn't a whole lot of great teaching going on, at least on the east side of the county.
Well...for the most part there is no comparison between most locales in Michigan and rural eastern NC.

Put it this way, you are basically in the deep south now. You moved there to go to the beach, enjoy the weather, slowed down pace, etc...

When folks talk about quality of local schools, it is usually in relation to other schools in NC...not in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina