U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 12:32 PM

158 posts, read 286,234 times

Advertisements

I wanted to thank all of you who sent me a private message thanking me for the information I posted on Federal Property Reports for those of you interested in purchasing a lot in a developer run community.

I hope all readers realize that I was offering this information solely for your benefit and had no intention of berating anyone or any particular community and find it unfortunate that this perception was made by some readers.

It can become a little frustrating when your good intentions are are taken out of context and misconstrued.

Thank you all again for your wonderful support.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 03:32 PM

43 posts, read 99,901 times
Some neighborhoods sure do have their "cheerleaders". lol. Thanks for providing the information that you did.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:44 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,329,610 times
I agree!
In our many, many "research" trips there we have never heard of these grinders. Of course, never even knew to ask.

That is what makes forums like this so helpful and people like Southeastlady so valuable!

Thanks again Southeast!

Old 04-13-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2otstr View Post
Some neighborhoods sure do have their "cheerleaders". lol. Thanks for providing the information that you did.
You're very welcome....happy to share anything we find in our ongoing search to find where to retire.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
I agree!
In our many, many "research" trips there we have never heard of these grinders. Of course, never even knew to ask.

That is what makes forums like this so helpful and people like Southeastlady so valuable!

Thanks again Southeast!
Oh thanks so much. Don't forget to ask for the "Property Report" for any communities you might be interested in. They're full of information on things many of us wouldn't think to ask about.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I agree!

Thanks again Southeast!
Jersey, I forgot to mention something in my "thank you" post to you a few minutes ago. Thought this might possibly interest you.

In addition to the potential (hopefully remote) of the grinder pumps overflowing into your yard and possibly your home, there is a total sewer hook up fee at SJP of $8000 which is the highest of any of the NC coastal communities we've looked into. There's a $4000 charge for the basic hook up and an additional $4000 for the cost of the grinder pump. As a comparison, the sewer hook up fees for Brunswick Forest are $2200. These fees are clearly spelled out in the most current and revised property report for SJP.

To all SJP residents, once again, not bring critical...just giving factual cost figures.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:45 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,329,610 times
Southeastlady, your initial thread prompted me to look into this sewer thing more closely.

We have lived in many geographically different places with various issues, from hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, blizzards etc. Never have we wondered where our household waste is processed. We pay sewer and water bills and that is it.

We have never heard of the grinder pumps needed in coastal Carolina. After reading your thread, I began some research and found this- http://www.brunswickcountync.gov/Por...tesFY12-13.pdf

We love the NC coast (vacationed there for 30+ years) can probably deal with the sewer issues by mitigating with a whole house generator.
Thanks to your posts, we will not be looking at commuities that do not have natural gas.

And, I will be asking for a Federal Property Report.

Your contribution here is invaluable.
Thank you.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:07 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
we will not be looking at commuities that do not have natural gas.
Here's the first I have found regard where natural gas is available in Brunswick County. The 2010 article says an 18-mile long pipeline along Highway 17 to Supply, serving the new hospital, and 2.5 mile through Southport to the Dosher memorial: Piedmont installing 18-mile-long gas line in Brunswick | StarNewsOnline.com

If anyone can name the communities it serves, or if they know later extensions, that would be helpful. For example, I think Compass Pointe does not have natural gas, as it is located along 74/76, not 17. I have heard the Brunswick Forest and Waterford of the Carolinas do have it.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-14-2013 at 07:17 AM..

Old 04-14-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Here's the first I have found regard where natural gas is available in Brunswick County. The 2010 article says an 18-mile long pipeline along Highway 17 to Supply, serving the new hospital, and 2.5 mile through Southport to the Dosher memorial: Piedmont installing 18-mile-long gas line in Brunswick | StarNewsOnline.com

If anyone can name the communities it serves, or if they know later extensions, that would be helpful. For example, I think Compass Pointe does not have natural gas, as it is located along 74/76, not 17. I have heard the Brunswick Forest and Waterford of the Carolinas do have it.
Your correct. Compass Point does not have natural gas, however, Brunswick Forest does.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Southeastlady, your initial thread prompted me to look into this sewer thing more closely.

We have lived in many geographically different places with various issues, from hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, blizzards etc. Never have we wondered where our household waste is processed. We pay sewer and water bills and that is it.

We have never heard of the grinder pumps needed in coastal Carolina. After reading your thread, I began some research and found this- http://www.brunswickcountync.gov/Por...tesFY12-13.pdf

We love the NC coast (vacationed there for 30+ years) can probably deal with the sewer issues by mitigating with a whole house generator.
Thanks to your posts, we will not be looking at commuities that do not have natural gas.

And, I will be asking for a Federal Property Report.

Your contribution here is invaluable.
Thank you.
You are welcome and thank you for your kind words along with the informative link.

The sewer hook up fees vary per community in coastal NC which I can be specific on for SJP, Compass Point and Brunswick Forest if anyone would like them.

What I have found interesting is the variance in the total hook up charges for these three communities.
SJP - $17,988
Compass Point - $8,200
Brunswick Forest - $11,737

Although Brunswick Forest is the only community of these three that has natural gas, a few issues were of personal concern to us:
1. Brunswick Forest will total 12,642 lots.
2. There is an approved connector road that will link Brunswick Forest to another community which will increase traffic through Brunswick Forest and another proposed connector road in the future. This is apparently the reason Brunswick Forest was never built as a gated community. There have been cars broken into in Brunswick Forest and another access into the community was an issue.
3. Brunswick Forest has made indication that they have not ruled out the possibility of future apartment buildings within the community.

Hope this is helpful. We have found the search for the right location to retire to be a long arduous task. For some reason, much more difficult than any previous move. I suppose, although I hate to admit it, that it is the realization that for many if us this will be the last home we own. This is why, for us, we make every effort to get all the information we can on communities of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina