U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:51 AM

917 posts, read 2,091,755 times

Advertisements

Isn't Moyock where Dick Chenney's Blackwater place is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:03 AM

264 posts, read 777,345 times
Yes it is that place.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:06 AM

144 posts, read 608,576 times
Ann, I don't know where you get your information from but Cheney has nothing to do with Blackwater. Not only that but BW is not in Moyock it is in Camden Co. The only entrance to BW is through Moyock. I work there and it is a great source of local jobs in the Moyock/Camden area. Not only that but you will not find another business in America that is more pro-USA than BW.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebediel View Post
Ann, I don't know where you get your information from but Cheney has nothing to do with Blackwater. Not only that but BW is not in Moyock it is in Camden Co. The only entrance to BW is through Moyock. I work there and it is a great source of local jobs in the Moyock/Camden area. Not only that but you will not find another business in America that is more pro-USA than BW.
I asked a question. (check my post) I did not say anything bad about Blackwater so calm down. That said, I am a "flaming liberal" so I'm sure you can imagine what I'm thinking. By the way, there is a book out that says Cheney has A LOT to do with Blackwater. I'll try to find the name for you, I heard about it on that the news program "Democracy Now".

Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 AM

I was pretty sure from the question that you were a "flamer" so thanks for at least owning up. Next time I write I'll thrown in a couple of smileys so you will know that I'm writing with a sincere love for you and a smile on my face. I've seen several TV specials about Blackwater and read some of the online rhetoric against Blackwater. Most of it is well informed but twisted in it's assessment of Blackwater. The people who write it have already decided that they hate Blackwater with an undying hatred and nothing is going to change their minds. They continually call BW a mercenary outfit which betrays their own ignorance. The people I work with are decent, hard working, America loving, individuals. I have great respect for them and what they do for this nation. I believe that most of this anti-BW sentiment comes from a displaced hatred of the military. It is not politically expedient for many liberals to openly hate our military so they turn that anger and hatred to the next best thing: A company, made up of ex-military and ex-police officers, that works with the military as a para-military security force.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 AM

Well I certainly do not hate our military! I don't even dislike them. I do however hate the war in Iraq and hope it will end soon. Being a liberal does not necessarily mean one has any dislike of our military personel. Also I will be the first to admit I don't know much about Blackwater except what I heard on that news program over 1 year ago.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Now see, you had to go and say something I can agree with! Don't you just hate that? I hope the war in Iraq is over soon too. I just want it to be over when it's over. BTW I'm glad you don't hate the military. People (not you per se) forget many times when they attack companies that those companies are many times made up of hard working individuals that do not deserve the flack. Those people take the rhetoric personally because they tend to appreciate the places that employ them.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:29 AM

3 posts, read 3,867 times
hello Edediel.
I'm currently stationed in Japan and considering taking orders back to Little Creek, Va. How long is the commute to Little Creek? Interested possibly in getting one built there(we want to be the first owners). I would like to know how the area is? What’s the square footage and prices of new construction homes?
How are the schools?, Are there any malls or stores nearby?(it looks a little secluded)….All of these questions are pertinent to me. I would also like to know the approximate distance(driving)
From Moyock to Little Creek, Va(with traffic/without traffic). I am looking to build something spacious, around 3000 or 3200 square feet with a spacious backyard. Please provide any info that you can to help me determine if this is the place I would like to call home. Thanks in advance.

Marty

Old 01-03-2011, 06:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,867 times
Default Relocating

Interested possibly in getting a home built there(we want to be the first owners). I would like to know how the area is? What’s the square footage and prices of your new construction homes?
How are the schools?, Are there any malls or stores nearby?(it looks a little secluded)….All of these questions are pertinent to me. I would also like to know the approximate distance(driving) from Moyock to Little Creek, Va(with traffic/without traffic). I am looking to build something spacious, around 3000 or 3200 square feet with a spacious backyard. Please provide any info that you can to help me determine if this is the place I would like to call home. Thanks in advance.

Marty

Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 AM

Default Reply to 68Mustangcwo

Hello 68Mustang,

Moyock would be a little bit of a drive to Little Creek Base. In good traffic probably about an hour. Although that's not too bad it's hard to find times where the traffic is considered good. Still there are many others from the service that live in Moyock. I think most of them are either stationed at Northwest base or at the Air station in VA Beach.

Moyock is rather rural with a Food Lion being the center of town and a small group of strip malls around it. Several restaurants, a hardware store thrift store and a couple of used car dealerships, several Churches, an elementary and middle school with the promise of a future high school. There's about 10k people living there. There is water front property on the sound and farmland as well as nice neighborhoods like in a suburb of a large city. Some of the developments have half acre lots but homes built outside of these developments have to build on at least 3 acres unless it's land with a special approval from the county.

In all fairness I don't live there any longer, I moved about a year ago and I don't know how the property values have faired in the recession but when I left an undeveloped acre would go for about 30-45K. There's a fairly large fluctuation on homes but a home about what you have described would probably be in the mid 200's to 300's (that is totally a guess).

Schools there are fairly good. I graduated 2 sons from there and brought one daughter up to high school before moving. Things had started getting a little bad at the High school but I've heard there's a new principle in town that's cracked down on the discipline there. The school have always scored well in the academic side and the sports are somewhat mediocre.

Most of the people in Moyock do their shopping in Chesapeake VA where there is a small shopping mall and many other dept stores. That's about 25 mins from Moyock. There's also a new Walmart being built about 15 mins from Moyock which is near a new Home Depot and Target. If you've got to have lots of convenience then Moyock's not for you but if you interested in a quieter slower pace then Moyock might be just right.

There's not a lot there for the kids to do so if you have children that might be a consideration. There are team sports (baseball, football, soccer, and dance, etc.) but not a lot else.

If you've got to have more convenience I would look more at the Chesapeake/Hickory area of VA. The size home you're wanting to build would also fit the Centerville Trnpike area of Hickory, but that will be a little more expensive than Moyock.

Happy hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina