U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 12:01 PM

16 posts, read 37,409 times

Advertisements

I have done some searching on this area (Washington, Bath, Belhaven, etc) but only got limited info. What are is everybody's thoughts on this area? This would be for retirement purposes. We currently live in NC and retirement will be several years down the road. Do you think this area will continue to grow?
What to you like/dis-like about that area? Thank you for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 08:05 AM

3 posts, read 12,576 times
The towns you mentioned are all in Beaufort County. If you are looking for a good place to retire I suggest looking further east to Hyde County. The dormant Hyde County is starting to grow, especially the Engelhard area. Property costs are still pretty low, while there is still plenty of waterfront / lakefront real estate up for grabs. In my opinion Engelhard will grow more (percentage wise) in the next ten years than any other town in Hyde / Beaufort Counties. Alot of people from the OBX are moving to Engelhard to escape beach housing costs.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 848 times
I am looking at some properties in Engelhard which seem to be priced to sell. I was wondering about the flooding patterns there and whether/how often residents have to evacuate because of storms and hurricanes.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:03 AM

54 posts, read 46,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingearthsong View Post
I am looking at some properties in Engelhard which seem to be priced to sell. I was wondering about the flooding patterns there and whether/how often residents have to evacuate because of storms and hurricanes.
You can look up the properties here and determine what there flood status is:

Flood Risk Information System

Old 01-01-2016, 11:20 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,662,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by den1jen View Post
I have done some searching on this area (Washington, Bath, Belhaven, etc) but only got limited info. What are is everybody's thoughts on this area? This would be for retirement purposes. We currently live in NC and retirement will be several years down the road. Do you think this area will continue to grow?
What to you like/dis-like about that area? Thank you for your responses!
Manteo, NC is on Roanoke Island between the mainland and the OBX. Property there is cheaper than the OBX, and it is in Dare County where taxes are lower. I would choose Manteo vs the other areas you mentioned. Access to all that is on the OBX but not at the same price. Excellent health care in Norfolk.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:24 AM

54 posts, read 46,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Manteo, NC is on Roanoke Island between the mainland and the OBX. Property there is cheaper than the OBX, and it is in Dare County where taxes are lower. I would choose Manteo vs the other areas you mentioned. Access to all that is on the OBX but not at the same price. Excellent health care in Norfolk.
I think den1jen has found somewhere to live in the past 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina