U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 15,025 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Wilmington, NC however, I have read a lot of information on the internet about Wilmington having a very high crime rate. What areas should I avoid? Which areas should I look to move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 04:07 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clherbe View Post
I'm considering moving to Wilmington, NC however, I have read a lot of information on the internet about Wilmington having a very high crime rate. What areas should I avoid? Which areas should I look to move to?
You may be reading some out-of-date information. According to the city-data crime index, Wilmington's crime rate is slightly higher than average, and it has been declining nearly every year since 1999. Other than some low-income areas downtown, you should not be worried too much about crime.

To give you a recommendation, the forum members would ask whether you plan to work or be a student, whether you want to buy or rent, what your budget is, etc. If you are mature, you might want to avoid the student apartment complexes.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 21,758 times
Default Advice to move or not to move

Hello, I am currently living and PA. I was offered a position in the Wilmington that would really help us financially but I have a 13 year old daughter and a 9 year old daughter who really do not want to move. I need advice on if I should decline the position to make my kids happy or not. This move would help us tremendously because I would have my dream job and make a lot more money. My girls however are the most important things in my life. My 13 year old is in 8th grade and I know that is a hard age to pull away from friends and try to make new ones. Plus, my 8th grader is a very shy child with social anxiety and when I told her about possibly moving she got very worked up and depressed/afraid. My husband says we cannot let the kids run our lives but this is their health I am more concerned about. Any advice? Should I stay here and hope something comes up although for the past 5 years nothing has? Thanks

Old 09-15-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen1219 View Post
Any advice? Should I stay here and hope something comes up although for the past 5 years nothing has? Thanks
I'd take the position in Wilmington, as I agree with your husband. Your daughters will be angry for a while but they will recover as they make new friends. Wilmington has a lot to offer.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:43 AM

5 posts, read 22,713 times
Default Move or not to move to Wilmington

Quote:
Hello, I am currently living and PA. I was offered a position in the Wilmington that would really help us financially but I have a 13 year old daughter and a 9 year old daughter who really do not want to move. I need advice on if I should decline the position to make my kids happy or not. This move would help us tremendously because I would have my dream job and make a lot more money. My girls however are the most important things in my life. My 13 year old is in 8th grade and I know that is a hard age to pull away from friends and try to make new ones. Plus, my 8th grader is a very shy child with social anxiety and when I told her about possibly moving she got very worked up and depressed/afraid. My husband says we cannot let the kids run our lives but this is their health I am more concerned about. Any advice? Should I stay here and hope something comes up although for the past 5 years nothing has? Thanks
Hi, we are in the same boat, but I have boy that will be entering 9th grade next year and a son leaving for college. We are wanting to move to Wilmington, buying a business in Historic District. We really want to live in the Historic District near business, but how is the main New Hanover High School? What I read not that great. However, Cape Fear Academy is small and expensive. Should we move out and drive into the historic district daily? What schools do you recommend? Thanks.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedfamily4 View Post
We are wanting to move to Wilmington, buying a business in Historic District.
While I understand your goals, it would be very risky to be starting a new business and committing to an expensive private school for the next four years. I suggest deferring your desire to live near the business. Perhaps rent a house in the better school district (eg Hoggard) until your younger son is out of high school. Then you could decide whether to live in the historic district.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:50 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,352,813 times
Quote:
You should absolutely move. I am very familiar with PA and Wilmington offers weather and outside amenities that you just won't find in PA.

I have a 13 y/o daughter in 8th grade that wouldn't live anywhere else (maybe Charlotte or Charleston, she likes those). I would be happy to offer up some suggestions if you make a visit for things to do and potential places to live that would be appealing to kids.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedfamily4 View Post
Hi, we are in the same boat, but I have boy that will be entering 9th grade next year and a son leaving for college. We are wanting to move to Wilmington, buying a business in Historic District. We really want to live in the Historic District near business, but how is the main New Hanover High School? What I read not that great. However, Cape Fear Academy is small and expensive. Should we move out and drive into the historic district daily? What schools do you recommend? Thanks.
I would research the Lyciem program at New Hanover High School...I actually think that may be doable at that age...the bigger issue with living in the District is with small children, Wilmington doesn't have a great park and much room to spread out for smaller children. Its a bit of a design flaw with downtown that they can't seem to find a way to correct.

New Hanover is a very diverse school...it is an open enrollment school and I know parents all over town that put their children there for the Lyciem program. There are some that go there for certain sports teams as well.

If you don't live in the district, GA's advice is a good one.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I would research the Lyciem program at New Hanover High School...I actually think that may be doable at that age.
Thanks, I was unfamiliar with the Lyceum program at New Hanover HS. It is apparently for the two final years of HS, so the Reedfamily's 9th grader would be eligible later. Here's a couple of places to start researching it:

http://www.edline.net/pages/lyceum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lyceum_Academy

I also checked the rating of New Hanover HS on greatschools.org . It is a 4 out of 10, which is not that bad, just slightly below average. The parent reviews are also a mix, but not that bad either. (My old HS in Massachusetts has a 4 rating, and I got into a good university.) So, I would not rule out New Hanover HS, if they want to live closer to downtown.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-19-2013 at 11:53 AM..

Old 09-19-2013, 01:33 PM

In one of those links it gives the pathways...i.e...Pre-Lyceum.

Browser Not Supported

I know of students that left Hoggard and went to New Hanover because of this....I think the general mindset is that if you are in that program, it is almost similar to Cape Fear Academy which graduates about 100 a year and touts that all go to College....well the Lyceum program is essentially the same way, you are guaranteed a Top 100 standing in your class (theoretically). Students in that program are kind of in their own school within the school.

What I like about New Hanover is its got all the elements of a great high school. The Building is an absolute treasure...and its got a wonderful history. Prior to Hoggard and Laney being built in the 60's, it was the only high school in New Hanover County and was the largest high school in the state of NC. It's Hall of Fame is amazing...Roman Gabriel, Sonny Jurgensen, David Brinkley, James Goodnight of SAS, among others. Its got a great athletic history, although they do play at the Legion Sports Complex on Carolina Beach Rd, which is not on its Market Street campus.

New Hanover High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina