U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:22 PM

7 posts, read 11,394 times

Advertisements

Hey there! My family and I are probably moving to Calabash, so that I can relocate my web design business out of our small town in mid-NC. I've been to Myrtle Beach quite a bit in my life, but have NEVER been to Calabash.

I think we have found a nice condo at Crow Creek, and looks like we are a short drive to everything. Anyone here live in Calabash that might be able to give me some more insight into what it's like to live there? I'm looking at pictures, and I'm not actually seeing an actual town. Is everything just spread out?

Would just love any responses about Calabash... just so I can get more of an idea about our future home. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 05:23 AM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inventyou View Post
I'm looking at pictures, and I'm not actually seeing an actual town. Is everything just spread out?
I have visited Calabash once, and it has grown significantly since then. The golf course is about three miles from the town center. The closest things around are the strip shopping areas.

I'm trying not to be negative, but why would you commit to moving into a condo if you had not actually seen it? I hope it is a good deal and that it works out for your business. Do you have school-age children?

Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 AM

I've seen pictures of the condo. Looks very nice. I realize it's not ideal to rent a place sight unseen, but feel really good about it.

We've got 2 children, one is 6 and one is 3. My wife home-schools.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I've seen pictures of the condo. Looks very nice. I realize it's not ideal to rent a place sight unseen, but feel really good about it.

We've got 2 children, one is 6 and one is 3. My wife home-schools.
OK. One of my concerns was that there are few elementary schools in Brunswick County, and it might be a long bus ride for a small child.

My other concern is the possible noise level in a condo, especially if they were build as temporary rentals. But, if you are comfortable with it, that's all that matters.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:06 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,356,116 times
Calabash is really just an extension of N Myrtle and Little River areas...an old fishing village that is gradually seeing improvements. Its not Murrell's Inlet though (which is an old fishing village), which has been moving more toward upscale recently.

For many Calabash is an afterthought, except for the style of food it is famous for....I'm sure the condo's are fine, there are a lot of retired people, not many children. That's kind of the thing about the Myrtle area as a whole. But you have fairly good access to the beach, and to the many opportunities for children at Myrtle (which is better in the offseason). I don't know much about the schools but I'm betting they aren't as bad as some people may think. More and more folks move into those Plantations in western Brunswick Co...the problem is the schools may not compare to the Wilmington schools or Myrtle Beach schools because of the lower population.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I think we've decided to move to Little River, SC instead. Found a house there!

Old 06-10-2013, 10:32 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,963,592 times
Just be careful, a lot of the Condos are for visiting Golfers and "Boys will be Boys" as the saying goes.....

Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Just be careful, a lot of the Condos are for visiting Golfers and "Boys will be Boys" as the saying goes.....
Agreed. It sounds like the house in Little River is a way better situation for raising a child (and trying to do work at home.)

Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,331,984 times
Quote:
Thanks for the help guys. I think we've decided to move to Little River, SC instead. Found a house there!
Little River would be a better choice.
We are renting a 3 bedroom condo at Crow Creek this week. Even the 3 bedrooms would be a challenge with 2 small kids. There are pools but no play grounds, lots of retirees and golfers here.

I have seen one young boy walking his little dog and no other kids, even at the pool.

Just speaking with lots of the people here, there are many NC residents who have purchased these places for beach getaways and then rent them out other times.

I imagine a SFH in Little River would provide you with a more "family" atmosphere.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:57 AM

36,856 posts, read 16,089,128 times
Quote:
I bought my lot in Calabash 12 years ago and ever time we came down i heard, 'I wish I coulda', woulda', shoulda' mover here sooner.

Have been living here now for 5 1/2 years and I still agree with the statement.

The elementary school is only a couple of miles away from crow creek.

Do you golf? Crow Creek is a great course.

There are 30 golf courses within 20 minutes of both Calabash and Little River.

Some of the off ocean developments own places at the ocean for residents usage. A big plus.

Whatever your choice is, welcome to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina