U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 10:23 PM

92 posts, read 284,728 times

Advertisements

We are staying for a week at the Hampon Inn Corolla we have never been to N.C can you tell me from the hotel can we walk places easy? If so what would be around? We will be visiting over Fourth of July.

I see the beach is right off the hotel by pictures is there a boardwalk or anything like that?

What places or events are near by? Can you give me an idea of distance in minutes?-
when I google the area everything comes up 35 miles away I'm wondering if we chose the wrong area to be.

We will have our 2 daughters an 8 year old and newborn we love the beach but, would like to have daily activities planned.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfancypants View Post
I see the beach is right off the hotel by pictures is there a boardwalk or anything like that?

What places or events are near by?
I'll be 100% honest with you. Your fear that you may have picked the wrong place may be well founded. There are some things for the little ones to do but they are few. Jockey's Ridge state park is nice. There are some people that do sand sculptures and stuff like that. There are also some putt-putt golf courses. There used to be a little kids amusement park but it closed a few years ago. Kites are big in the OBX.

There are no boardwalks. The Outer Banks is not Ocean City, MD. The whole area is more geared towards entertaining yourself. People mostly go there for the beaches and fishing. There are plenty of novelty, touristy type of stores.

I have friends that asked me if the Outer Banks was like OC and I told them that if that's what they're looking for, they need to just go to OC.

There may be other people that can add some to this.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
Mr Martin is correct. One could argue that the OB is the opposite of the shore. Just, mostly, water and sand. For a great many people, that is enough.

I would feel that an 8 year old could play in the surf from 8:00 till 11:00 everyday, back out at 3:30 till 6:00 or so. Don't let her burn up during mid day. If that is not enough, perhaps you are in the wrong spot.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:17 AM

I found a hilton in kitty hawk would this be better vs the corolla hotel?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfancypants View Post
I found a hilton in kitty hawk would this be better vs the corolla hotel?
There is certainly more to do in Kitty Hawk than Corolla, but you will still be driving the kids around.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:33 AM

562 posts, read 931,447 times
i agree. we get a large home every year in Corolla for our kids/grandkids that has a pool. the kids will go to the whalehead lighthouse area and do some crabbing, but this is not the place to keep them active. boardwalk would be ocean city, md or the Jersey shore - southern shore - Wildwood that has tons of boardwalk games, water parks, etc. I know, I live in South Jersey.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:13 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,355,005 times
C'mon you guys are being too hard on Corolla here. They have an 8 y/o and a newborn...and its July 4th. You want to go to OC on July 4th, seriously?

Corrolla is at its best on July 4th...here are the things to do...besides the Beach.

You have the cool shopping/entertainment center...Timbuck II

Timbuck II Shopping Entertainment Dining in Corolla, NC - Services

You have the Lighthouse area...

Currituck Beach Lighthouse

You have the horse tours on a Hummer...check out the reviews on this...

Wild Horse Adventure Tours - Corolla - Reviews of Wild Horse Adventure Tours - TripAdvisor

Plus the Hampton is very nice, on the ocean, has 3 pools, and is quiet and private.

I'd recommend taking a day trip to Manteo while you are there and visit the Aquarium and Festival Park and driving by Jockey's Ridge...it will be some drive, but the other items I listed are right there in Corrolla. The nice thing about Corrolla is outside of the main 2 lane road, it is very quiet for the beach on July 4th...which is why it works well for families instead of the bar scene on a boardwalk.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:40 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
C'mon you guys are being too hard on Corolla here. They have an 8 y/o and a newborn...and its July 4th. You want to go to OC on July 4th, seriously?

Corrolla is at its best on July 4th...here are the things to do...besides the Beach.

You have the cool shopping/entertainment center...Timbuck II

Timbuck II Shopping Entertainment Dining in Corolla, NC - Services

You have the Lighthouse area...

Currituck Beach Lighthouse

You have the horse tours on a Hummer...check out the reviews on this...

Wild Horse Adventure Tours - Corolla - Reviews of Wild Horse Adventure Tours - TripAdvisor

Plus the Hampton is very nice, on the ocean, has 3 pools, and is quiet and private.

I'd recommend taking a day trip to Manteo while you are there and visit the Aquarium and Festival Park and driving by Jockey's Ridge...it will be some drive, but the other items I listed are right there in Corrolla. The nice thing about Corrolla is outside of the main 2 lane road, it is very quiet for the beach on July 4th...which is why it works well for families instead of the bar scene on a boardwalk.
None of this is really appropriate with an 8 year old and a new born.

To mrsfancypants...

Corolla, Nags Head and Kitty Hawk are all right together. You drive from one to the next and never even know it. Really, the OBX is about the ocean and fishing. I kid you not.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,355,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
None of this is really appropriate with an 8 year old and a new born.

To mrsfancypants...

Corolla, Nags Head and Kitty Hawk are all right together. You drive from one to the next and never even know it. Really, the OBX is about the ocean and fishing. I kid you not.
Looks like I have to spell it out for Richard.

First of all I have been going to the Outer Banks for over 20 years and never went fishing...been on a Fishing Pier at Kitty Hawk once...a friend was the Dockmaster at Pirates Cove...but the deep sea fishing never appealed to me, although I have been out a few times on the southern beaches.

Was in Corolla last summer with my 8 year old...we climbed the Lighthouse, we drove go carts and played mini golf at Timbuck II, where we also bought a lighthouse puzzle and put it together in our spare time in our house, we went to Manteo and ate at Big Al's Drive In and went on the Elizabethan Ship replica at Festival Park and walked the grounds learning about the first settlers....he saw the biggest sand dune on the world at Jockey's Ridge and watched people hang glide off of it. We didn't do the Horse tour, but I have only heard great things about it and what 8 year old girl doesn't like horses...and you get to drive on the beach as well....

My 6 year old had a field trip at the Fort Fisher Aquarium the other day...could have stayed all day...Manteo's is about the same.

Plus the Beach, plus the pools....that's a vacation for an 8 y/o...and the new born is usually in their chair or stroller...

Its not Myrtle Beach, dinner shows, water parks, etc......but I wouldn't recommend going to Myrtle Beach on July 4th...that's just crazy...go there more in the offseason.

And Carolina Beach is more like Ocean City...I would less recommend there, because it gets too crowded and crazy around July 4th....the Outer Banks is about doing and seeing things specific to it.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:59 PM

Hi,
Thank you all for your help I changed the trip to VA beach I was worried not having that many other things to do aside from the beach and traffic we will come back when the baby is bigger
Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina