U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,219,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I may be misunderstanding the question or perhaps the answers, or maybe my definition of commercialized is different than others', but where is Wrightsville commercialized? I'm being serious, not snarky. I've been there a few times, staying at the Holiday Inn on the beach. There is not really much around. There is a small strip of restaurants and t-shirt stores that is maybe two blocks long, and the street heading out of town, but is there something else I'm missing?

I enjoyed Wrightsville when we go, but it seems pretty dead to me. Most of the commercial stuff seems to be between Wrightsville and Wilmington, on the road to Wilmington. Perhaps I'm just used to the Jersey Shore with miles of arcades, amusement parks, and souvenir shops on a boardwalk? THAT is commercialized. Virginia Beach is commercialized. Myrtle Beach is commercialized. I wouldn't call Wrightsville Beach commercialized at all, unless I somehow missed it all.
Well, he didn't say it was commercialized.

He said it was the most commercialized in North Carolina.

Which is sort of like looking for the warmest place in Antarctica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 PM

50 posts, read 95,737 times
Carolina Beach is 10X more commercialized than Wrightsville Beach. I'd go with CB.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:38 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,219,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwbwilm View Post
Carolina Beach is 10X more commercialized than Wrightsville Beach.
How do you figure?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:00 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
How do you figure?
I agree with him...Carolina Beach (proper) has a ton of restaurants, the Boardwalk area, chain restaurants, plus numerous bars, stores, etc...plus it has a shopping center with a grocery store, getting ready to have another...

Much of Wrightsville Beach's considered commercial area is actually in Wilmington at Mayfaire or Lumina Station...and its not accesible from the beach. The Intercoastal area is nice, but there is no room for more development.

While Wrightsville beach is "built out", I consider Carolina Beach to be more "commercial".

Old 07-01-2013, 01:54 PM

78 posts, read 122,549 times
Carolina/Kure is a lot more commercialized than Wrightsville. If you go to Caolina Beach,they have "free" movies and fireworks and fun rides for the kids on the boardwalk. Also.....; if you like doughnuts,don't miss Britts!

Old 07-01-2013, 03:47 PM

519 posts, read 738,232 times
I live in Wilmington and I can tell you Carolina is definitely the most commercialized. Whenever our family visits,we always end up down there or Myrtle especially for the grandkids even though we are closer to Wrightsville. And yes,if you go to Carolina, I agree you should get a mouth watering doughnut from Britts. They are in a league of their own!

Old 07-03-2013, 02:02 PM

458 posts, read 631,185 times
What about Outer Banks but in/around Buxton? Way less crowded and commercialized than Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:27 PM

458 posts, read 631,185 times
Sorry. Misread OP's post. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina