U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:36 PM

16 posts, read 76,572 times

Advertisements

LOL

I keep hearing people stayed inland do to hurricanes, is that a big issue on the NC Coast?

DD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 12:51 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkydonuts View Post
LOL

I keep hearing people stayed inland do to hurricanes, is that a big issue on the NC Coast?

DD
At least once a year, sometimes up to 4 times a year, areas on the coast have to evacuate due to hurricanes. No way of knowing which area or when they will strike.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:50 PM

16 posts, read 76,572 times
That is good to know, not sure the family would be into that.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:24 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,116,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkydonuts View Post

...How do you say coffee in NC?

PS:
What is the deal with all the developments in the wilmington area, they are doing heavy solicitation up north? And they are crazy expensive, the prices are like 500k and up?
1. "Sweet tea"
2. Ocean access via several nice roads and peoples' crazy desire to live by it without regard to what is happening to the shoreline: "If you build it, they will pay"

Old 07-06-2008, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 13,881 times
Default Boardwalks in NC

There's a lovely 2+ mile wooden boardwalk in historic Manteo on Roanoke Island near the Outer Banks. The extension was completed last summer 2007 and it connects the Marshes Light Marina and community to the historic downtown Manteo shopping and restaurant district to Festival Park and overlooks Shallowbag Bay. This boardwalk has become a favorite for locals and visitors. Every Monday-Wednesday-Friday you can catch an exercise/pilates class, weather permitting, on the boardwalk in front of the Azalea waterfront residences.
Attached Thumbnails
Does NC coast have Boardwalks like NJ ?-geese-manteo-waterfront.jpg  

Old 07-06-2008, 11:46 AM

412 posts, read 1,108,670 times
Myrtle Beach just opened "Hard Rock Park" which is a music-themed small amusement park. Myrtle Beach is only a 1 to 1 1/2 hr drive from Wilmington.

Wilmington does have a family-friendly waterpark @ Jungle Rapids (although overpriced in my opinion so I never go....but if you go a lot you could get a season pass to save $$$).

"The only people who can afford houses in the new developments in Wilmington are from up north, so that is why they are marketed up there. There are very few Wilmington natives that actually live in the city. Most of my long-time friends are from NJ or NY." TOTALLY AGREE! This actually greatly increases the tension b/c so many natives are mad b/c we can't buy houses in the same city we grew up in thanks to all of the NY/NJ ppl driving up prices.

"Compared to other cities in NC, Wilmington is very open-minded and there is no north-south tension." I think you are very wrong here. Lots of tension....most true southerners are just too polite to say it to your face (but trust me they're saying it behind your backs). The tension gets worse the more you say "where I'm from we do it this way...."

I am still looking for a bumper sticker that reads "the tourists aren't going home....they're just going back to get their stuff!" AND "If it was so much better where you're from....please move back there!"

P.S. I am a transplant from Ohio myself, but have lived some of my childhood and all of my adult life here. I consider myself a southerner though b/c I've spent more time in NC than Ohio. I don't necessarily have anything against northerners.....just stating attitudes that southerners may have. I can't speak for everyone though.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 10,410 times
so what about bicycling? I used to ride up and down the boardwalk or street along the beach in NJ. There were also state parks where you could ride on trails parallel to the ocean. Is there anything like that at any NC beaches?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,591,459 times
yes, North Carolina has roads

Old 01-14-2009, 04:36 PM

214 posts, read 736,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
yes, North Carolina has roads
Sunny, you are a hoot, god bless you!
Not only do we have roads here in coastal NC, we also allow bicyclists to share the road.
I'm sure there is a website out there somewhere that has more information for bikers, I tend to ride mine all over Southport, and the community I live in.
If you really want an awesome experience check out Bald Head Island, they don't even allow cars over there. Only bikes and golf carts. Better than riding the boards anyday.
When I lived in DE, they would only allow bikers boardwalk access certain hours of the day, and that was always changing.
Check out Carolina Beach's website, I'm sure you will find tons of info. there.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:19 PM

149 posts, read 517,038 times
[quote=wilmingtonangel;4352906]
"The only people who can afford houses in the new developments in Wilmington are from up north, so that is why they are marketed up there. There are very few Wilmington natives that actually live in the city. Most of my long-time friends are from NJ or NY." TOTALLY AGREE! This actually greatly increases the tension b/c so many natives are mad b/c we can't buy houses in the same city we grew up in thanks to all of the NY/NJ ppl driving up prices.

The area of northern NJ I grew up in 50 years ago had plenty of woods for young kids to explore and have fun in. Over the years more and more people moved to our area, attracted by better paying jobs in New York and the peaceful surroundings of the towns in my area. Now the woods I once played in, and the woods, fields, and farms of the surrounding area are now covered with housing developments. The roads are clogged with traffic. Where did all these people come from? Many from New York, but many more from every country in the world and every state in the union. I suspect some are from North Carolina and perhaps a few from Wilmington. People came for a better life. It's nothing new. It's how this country was built. Now people are moving to the NC coast. Things will never be quite the same. It's the nature of life. Things change. One can resent the situation or the people but that won't change anything. Decades ago retirees flocked to Florida for a better climate and a better life. Now the Carolinas and Arizona have become a popular destination. Love it or hate it, you can't stop progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina