U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 12,212 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a position in Wilmington and will be renting in the city for the next year. We really fell in love with the Surf City and Holly Ridge areas and want to build a home in that area, but have concerns over the commute times.

What is a realistic commute time to get from Surf City or Holly Ridge into Wilmington at peak times (8AM/5PM)? I'm coming from the DC area so gridlock is nothing new to me. I hope it isn't that bad, but is it a commute that can realistically be done in under or around an hour? I have noticed that the Wilmington area road planning committees probably spend more time at the beach than doing their jobs so I have my doubts about a sub-hour commute... thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:25 AM

196 posts, read 500,087 times
We're moving from Maryland to Topsail Beach. We won't necessarily have to worry about commutes since we're retiring, unless my wife decides to work in Wilmington.

The answer to your question is probably....it depends. By Surf City do you mean on the island, or closer to Route 17? And by Wilmington to you mean by the river or closer to say UNC-W? Regardless, it will likely seem like a walk in the park compared to the DC area.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:29 AM

We are looking at Surf City closer to 17 and I'll be working downtown by the river. I'm thinking it will be about a 50min commute with lights and traffic, but we'll see. I may have to do a few practice commutes at peak time to see just how bad it can be.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:03 PM

That's probably your best bet. I would think 50 minutes or less but I can't speak from experience. Hopefully not like the DC area where someone hiccups and traffic is jammed.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:29 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,356,116 times
Downtown? That's an hour from Holly Ridge.

You either have to get on the bypass and go down 421 or come down Market to MLK.

And traffic isn't getting better.

BTW, its not necessarily the road planners in Wilmington...its the State of NC and funding. They have done a terrible job directing funding to where its needed most (see the still on-going construction of I-485 in Charlotte).

There are plans for a Hampstead bypass, which will help drastically....check out the latest on this...

NCDOT: US 17 Hampstead Bypass and Military Cutoff Road Extension

It says 2014 acquisition....and is to go along with the Military Cutoff extension...which is much needed. I would rent in town (possibly even a nice condo downtown) and then build later than sooner. Once that bypass gets built, it really opens things up.

BTW, summer time will be a worse commute.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 AM

364 posts, read 552,868 times
I'd say rush hour commute is more like 45 minutes than an hour, but try it yourself. I live on the island and commuted to Cape Fear Community College which is right downtown. I take the bypass, it's way less crowded than heading down Market Street. You can either get off at I-40 toward Wilmington and take a right on Martin Luther King which will take you downtown, or what I did, continue on the bypass until it ends on the other side of the river and head down rte 17 and take a left over the bridge into downtown. It's nothing like my old commute into DC, although with current gas prices it can get expensive doing it every day.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
It's nothing like my old commute into DC, although with current gas prices it can get expensive doing it every day.
Maryland just raised gas taxes again, effective July 1....

Old 06-27-2013, 12:15 PM

Its good to know that a sub-hour commute is possible from Surf City or Holly Ridge. Thanks for the input!

Old 10-13-2013, 03:11 PM

In case anybody reads this and is in the same situation...

We moved to the neighborhoods at Holly Ridge and I now commute to Front St in Wilmington every day. It takes about 40 minutes, depending on lights and school buses... I sometimes get annoyed because it can only take about 35 minutes and I still have a little coffee when I pull into work. It's definatly not as bad as I expected. Having moved from a city with real traffic, Wilmington is a breeze!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:29 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,356,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf829 View Post
In case anybody reads this and is in the same situation...

We moved to the neighborhoods at Holly Ridge and I now commute to Front St in Wilmington every day. It takes about 40 minutes, depending on lights and school buses... I sometimes get annoyed because it can only take about 35 minutes and I still have a little coffee when I pull into work. It's definatly not as bad as I expected. Having moved from a city with real traffic, Wilmington is a breeze!
Which way are you going? Bypass/421 or Market/MLK?

And what time of day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina