U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM

19 posts, read 20,060 times

Advertisements

Hi All. Planning a day trip to Fort Fisher this Saturday. I've read about it but have a few questions.

1) There are showers. Are these outside showers or indoor? Can we actually shower, wash our hair and such for the ride home?

2) How is the coastline? Is there plenty of beach or is it narrow? Rocky or mostly sandy?

3) We're thinking we will arrive around 10 - 10:30 a.m. Is that early enough to not have to worry about parking?

Also up for suggestions of anyone thinks there is a better place for a day trip. Just a couple of us girls wanting to lay on the beach under our umbrella and RELAX!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,359,858 times
The beach is nice at Fort Fisher...it is so big that the local soccer club holds a sand soccer tournament there every year in early June. There are bathrooms, grills and if you have a four wheel drive you can drive on the beach...although there is no alcohol allowed, which drives many folks to the north end of Carolina Beach.

I would highly recommend a day trip that involved the 4 wheel drive out on the beach.

It is an expansive beach and usually plenty of parking because the aquarium is next door with their parking as well.

I am not sure about the showers, probably go by the website.

Saturdays are the busiest days there, and just to let you know there are a lot of Hispanics that come and stay all day on Saturday. Personally I prefer to southend of Wrightsville Beach along the sound side...where you can watch the boats go by and the beach is big. But there are less amenities. Going near the Oceanic Pier is nice because you can eat at the Oceanic while you are there, there are some showers (indoor) and it is less crowded than Johnny Mercer's pier. There is also a local surf shop there and many of the folks are locals and nice. The earlier you get there the easier the parking is.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,635,176 times
to four wheel on the south end by
fort fisher cost $20 per day. fyi.

we also love the south end of Wrightsville beach but parking is very hard to find during
the week end and on top of that Wrightsville beach has so many
rules it is hard to keep up.
check out the NO list at every access point, it is very long.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:36 PM

19 posts, read 20,060 times
Thanks for the info. I was figuring Wrightsville would be really busy with next week being July 4th. Heard good things about Fort Fisher but was hoping to be able to take a shower before driving home. We'll check it out and see how it goes!

Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,464,217 times
Bring baby powder. Sprinkle it on any sandy areas, like feet, and the sand brushes right off.

Nice wide beaches at Ft. Fisher.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 AM

5,876 posts, read 8,850,005 times
July 4th weekend is one of the times when parking is tough there - I remember going once and they had cops directing traffic - but I think if you get there early enough you may be ok. You might need to park outside the parking lot and walk a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina