U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:38 PM

47 posts, read 79,231 times

Advertisements

Hi there:

We usually paddle Masonboro Island, but we decided to be adventurous and try something new at Southport. Husband and I are both fairly experienced paddlers. Looking for recommendations for put-ins and trips (there and back, not shuttle). The net doesn't seem to be hopping with specific trip information.

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 05:45 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
There is an excellent Wildlife Ramp, a few miles from SP toward Oak Island, on, I think, Fish Factory Road. It is about 1/4 from the ICW. Caution: Even in a 20 footer some of the RICH FOOLS go down the ICW at near light speed in big boats. Get to a bay or creek FAST. I almost was flipped, bow to stern in a 20 footer heavy top of the line fishing boat as I entered the ICW into the way of a huge yacht, traveling at high speed.

It has been a while, I am trying to think of other places, but nothing else comes to mind. There is an, or was an old, marina down near Lockwood Folly Inlet that also had a ramp that would put you in better *** water. It might be the Trump marina, now, but it used to be open for a small price.

There is not a lot of public access on the waterway, mostly just on the ocean, but things might have changed. You might be able to launch at either the BHI ferry or the Ferry to Fort Fisher.

Good Luck.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:08 PM

Thanks, LLN. I wasn't finding much info in the way of public launches either. I guess we could ferry across and revisit Masonboro if we have to.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:12 PM
LLN

Give this question some time, I am sure some locals (I used to be, not now) will come online with some info.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:51 AM

196 posts, read 499,915 times
I can't wait to get my kayak in the water in NC. I've found this site to be very helpful. You can also find launch sites and even reviews of them. Canoe & Kayak Launch Map | Places to kayak & canoe | Routes - Paddling.net

Old 06-26-2013, 06:49 AM

132 posts, read 159,221 times
There are several launch sites on Oak Island that will keep you out of the busy part of the ICW.

See this brochure for more info:

http://www.oakislandnc.com/Recreation/kayakbrochure.pdf

Old 06-26-2013, 01:25 PM

Thanks! We are worried about the heavy boat traffic that people keep reporting.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:30 PM
LLN

That brochure is cool. Things have become a lot more friendly since we left the island.

Pallas: THe fishfactory ramp is the one I was talking about, and the 57E is the one at the far end of island, near Lockwood Folly that I referenced. That is where I would start.

I did not mean to scare you on the ICW traffic, you just have to be very alert. You want to get off the ICW as soon as possible, at least i would, it is kinda sterile, and explore the back bays and flats, that kind of stuff.

Have fun, kinda makes me miss the island.

good luck

Old 06-26-2013, 01:35 PM

Thanks so much! We just moved to Raleigh a few years ago, so we're still finding our way around the blueways. I agree with you that the ICW can be very dangerous. We saw some boat traffic on our way to Masonboro, since we launched from the Masonboro Yacht Club. (Lots of big ships with drunk pilots!) We've actually never been to BHI or Oak Island, so these suggestions are super helpful.

We do try to launch between 7 and 7:30 a.m. to beat the traffic, but safety is always key in these kinds of situations. It just takes a moment to get into trouble. Since we do a lot of freshwater paddling, we find that jet skis are our mortal enemies on the water. A 15-year-old girl on a jet ski makes my heart go cold.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:49 PM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallasathena7 View Post
Thanks so much! We just moved to Raleigh a few years ago, so we're still finding our way around the blueways. I agree with you that the ICW can be very dangerous. We saw some boat traffic on our way to Masonboro, since we launched from the Masonboro Yacht Club. (Lots of big ships with drunk pilots!) We've actually never been to BHI or Oak Island, so these suggestions are super helpful.

We do try to launch between 7 and 7:30 a.m. to beat the traffic, but safety is always key in these kinds of situations. It just takes a moment to get into trouble. Since we do a lot of freshwater paddling, we find that jet skis are our mortal enemies on the water. A 15-year-old girl on a jet ski makes my heart go cold.
We use to do a lot of Kayak fishing on a lake near Charlotte. We would get there early, and try to be off the water before "the cartoons were over." I know what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina