Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:24 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times

Advertisements

Currituck and Camden Co are both good places to live. There are numerous new subdivisions in those two counties.

Edenton is a good place to live, especially if you can live on the water or historic district.

E-City is not bad if you can live on the water

Hertford in town is a good place to live

The rural areas are not so good, unless it is in Camden or Currituck Co's.

I have a feeling macjr is just going on some stereotypes and knows nothing about NE NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 10:38 PM

910 posts, read 1,318,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
If the State would get serious in making 17 a true interstate, NE NC would prosper big time. It could have good access to the Norfolk ports, airport, etc...and has the natural resources to build from. Until that happens, it still remains fairly isolated, which allows rural issues to continue to be front and center. The prospects are there and progress is being made, but projects like the Mid Currituck Bridge and Interstate for 17 will keep the progress slow...
All those what-ifs about future infrastructure investment are moot: the mid-Currituck bridge is deader than dead and the new DOT appropriations formula pretty much screws NE NC for at least the next decade.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
All those what-ifs about future infrastructure investment are moot: the mid-Currituck bridge is deader than dead and the new DOT appropriations formula pretty much screws NE NC for at least the next decade.
I think the formula will not be as bad as many think, at least on a few primary roads.

Ever travel 17 between Jacksonville and Wilmington...especially in the summer, THAT is a busy road.

Was on 158 in Currituck Co the other day, THAT is a busy road in the summer. And don't forget roads not only get built because of traffic volume, but also because of time saving. The Mid Currituck bridge will shave up to 45 minutes off a one way trip to Corrolla for a middle or high school student in Currituck Co. That's a significant savings. The allocation changes will be looked at statewide rather than regionally....have to wonder how many other bridge projects save up to an hour and a half round trip.

Also have to wonder what the state intends to do with the Raleigh to Norfolk corridor...if an interstate is planned in the future (which indications from Raleigh say they want it), then that status would promote projects in this corridor.

I think many folks undervalue the traffic, particularly in the summer in ENC. The volume of traffic on I-40 to Wilmington has changed drastically in the last 10 years. The 140 projects are more than justified, as is the Hampstead bypass, Greenville SW bypass, Havelock bypass as well as others.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:02 PM

17 is part of STRAHNET- it's covered by the federal government, and not a factor in state spending.

The legislature and McCrory have repeatedly said they're not interested in new toll projects, which also includes the Wilmington Skyway and Garden Parkway projects. It's partially the money but also a political thing since those projects were pushed so hard by the previous administrations/legislature. And also why tolling 95 is dead for the time being.

The handful of kids in Corolla get a choice to attend either Currituck or Dare County schools, with pretty much all of them going to Kitty Hawk Elementary and First Flight Middle/High. They used to come all the way down to Manteo for high school when I was growing up. There's also a K-6 charter in Corolla now, which in part moots that aspect of the proposed bridge.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:13 AM

451 posts, read 769,453 times
Hubs and I are turning 30 and "25 again" this week, but we're already a couple of old farts. I want to live someplace where we have our own space. Here in the Phoenix area, everyone is on top of each other, whether you're in an apartment or a house. There are no real backyards to speak of. We don't have children, nor do we plan to. We both like the idea of living in a smaller community within a reasonable drive (an hour or two) to a larger town/city where there would be more varied shopping, theater, concerts, etc. I've never lived anywhere but Arizona, and outside of the Army, Hubs spent most of his time in AZ and Indiana, so living on/near the beach would be a wonderful change for both of us. We'd love to learn to sail and get SCUBA certified. I'd love to be able to take photography and painting classes at a local college or university. But a quiet, slower-paced place sounds like heaven to me.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
Hubs and I are turning 30 and "25 again" this week, but we're already a couple of old farts. I want to live someplace where we have our own space. Here in the Phoenix area, everyone is on top of each other, whether you're in an apartment or a house. There are no real backyards to speak of. We don't have children, nor do we plan to. We both like the idea of living in a smaller community within a reasonable drive (an hour or two) to a larger town/city where there would be more varied shopping, theater, concerts, etc. I've never lived anywhere but Arizona, and outside of the Army, Hubs spent most of his time in AZ and Indiana, so living on/near the beach would be a wonderful change for both of us. We'd love to learn to sail and get SCUBA certified. I'd love to be able to take photography and painting classes at a local college or university. But a quiet, slower-paced place sounds like heaven to me.
This is the lure of ENC...it has that rural landscape and slowed down pace many yearn for. The key is getting into the right area because despite what many who never spend any time Down East think, all of the places are not the same.

I would think about how big an area you need to be close to you really need. If its as big as Tidewater (major), there are options there...if its as big as Wilmington (medium), there are options there or Greenville (small to medium). Those are your three main areas that can fit that description, after that, the best you will get will be close to some big box retailers in smaller cities.

If you need to be able to get to Tidewater sizewise, I'd recommend looking in Camden and Currituck Counties...which have grown %wise considerably in the last census, but are still rural with good access (an hour or less depending on where in the county) to Tidewater.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:02 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
It's probably not really necessary to be "an hour" from a mid size city. Usually just a few miles out from the terminus of town sewer service, you can find farms and large lots of uncleared forest land.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:59 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Hi OP, I think it might be very isolating for you. Visit to check it out, but also consider the Wilmington area - you can live in Castle Hayne if you want rural and be at the beach in 1/2 hour and downtown Wilmington in 15 minutes.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:43 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
The legislature and McCrory have repeatedly said they're not interested in new toll projects, which also includes the Wilmington Skyway and Garden Parkway projects. It's partially the money but also a political thing since those projects were pushed so hard by the previous administrations/legislature. And also why tolling 95 is dead for the time being.
McCrory has always said that state transportation money has been misappropriated. He felt that the less populated portions of the state such as ENC received too big a piece of the funds pie. Now that he's governor he has "fixed" that. I voted against him for this reason and no other. His election has set ENC back 20 years.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
McCrory has always said that state transportation money has been misappropriated. He felt that the less populated portions of the state such as ENC received too big a piece of the funds pie. Now that he's governor he has "fixed" that. I voted against him for this reason and no other. His election has set ENC back 20 years.
To be fair, it was pretty obvious rural issues were gonna get put on the backburner no matter what. With what happened with Team Blue, the old power base in Eastern NC's kinda done for and the new folks in charge take their cues from their suburban constituents (and money men) more than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina