U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 12:01 PM

451 posts, read 629,738 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I've lived in Arizona for my whole life so far, and I'm just itching for a change. My husband and I are hoping to move to the east coast in the spring, and Northeast NC is one of the places we're thinking about moving to, particularly Elizabeth City or someplace nearby. I'd like to get some insight on the place from people who live in the area, so

1. What is your favorite thing about living in Northeast NC?

2. What is your least favorite thing about living in Northeast NC?

3. What is the best area-specific advice you have for someone who wants to move there (not advice on moving to a new place in general)? For example, if I were to answer this question about Phoenix I would say to make sure all of your vehicles have working AC.

Thanks! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 02:31 PM

11,286 posts, read 19,848,881 times
I can't answer anything specifically about Elizabeth City, as I only driven through. My answers really pertain to all of Coastal NC.

1. Favorite thing is low-stress lifestyle.

2. My least favorite thing is mosquitoes. Next least is summer tourist traffic.

3. The best advice is to evacuate when the weather service tells you there is a hurricane coming and there is mandatory evacution.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:00 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,485,376 times
Most of the northeast corner of the state is composed of very small towns. The region has been depopulating a bit over the last decade actually. To live there you need to like a relaxed pace of life.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 06-28-2013 at 04:12 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 04:43 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,833,768 times
NE NC is probably the most rural, most isolated, and least desirable area of the state to live in. It's been described as a black hole, outside of the outer banks. Elizabeth City may be fine. At that point you are more closely associated with the Hampton Roads area of VA than NC.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:37 PM

11,286 posts, read 19,848,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
NE NC is probably the most rural, most isolated, and least desirable area of the state to live in. It's been described as a black hole, outside of the outer banks.
Yeah, and it is bordered by the Great Dismal Swamp on the VA-NC border. I was seriously wondering why the OP was interested in the area. You might move there if you have family connections there, or the Coast Guard transfers you there.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:32 PM

274 posts, read 510,559 times
Northeast NC is not for everyone, you need a sense of adventure to be there. You néed an appreciation for nature, and the beauty of unspoiled land, and rivers. You will also find if you are the type to say hello to strangers, and give an occasional pot luck for people in your area there friendly people in the Northeast. People in this area know how to create their own fun. We like to spread out, so our children have plenty of room to run and play. There is room for your horses, and other animals. space to grow a garden.
It's true we don't have all the stores, of a Raleigh, but we whether live where we want to play. you only need the big stores once in awhile. I would always suggest you rent for a year anywhere, you go, so if you don't like it you can just turn in the key, and try somewhere else. Come visit, see for yourself.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:39 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,669,340 times
If you have kids, you should consider Dare County (Manteo). Schools are far better than the 11 counties surrounding Dare County and my family is from Edenton. If you do not have kids, then Edenton.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 AM

3,327 posts, read 2,339,067 times
I live just outside of Elizabeth City, about 2 miles. Quiet here, if thats what you like. 45 min. drive to the Outer banks. About the same up to Chesapeake, where I use to live. Here in E. City, I wouldnt live anywhere else.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:59 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,370,961 times
Some here are not giving NE NC a fair shake...if you don't include Dare County, you still have Currituck Co & Camden Co which prior to the economic downturn were two high growth counties. The schools are considered good, it has a bunch of farmland, and are still developing areas with some fairly new subdivisions. They, IMO have lots of growth potential, especially if the state will ever get the Mid-Currituck bridge off the ground.

Elizabeth City has always had some issues, BUT is seeing some new growth in a new Panera Bread and other new businesses coming to town. It has always had waterfront property with the ability for boat slips and its downtown is still a gradual improvement.

Edenton is a gem...yes, it also has some issues, but its setup on the Albemarle Sound and property on the waterfront, historic district, main street, etc...has has it labeled as one of the best places to retire in the country. Hertford has always been small, but has a nice waterfront and historic district.

If the State would get serious in making 17 a true interstate, NE NC would prosper big time. It could have good access to the Norfolk ports, airport, etc...and has the natural resources to build from. Until that happens, it still remains fairly isolated, which allows rural issues to continue to be front and center. The prospects are there and progress is being made, but projects like the Mid Currituck Bridge and Interstate for 17 will keep the progress slow...

Old 06-29-2013, 07:54 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,833,768 times
You say people aren't giving it a fair shake but then proceed to reiterate the concerns already addressed, refuting nothing. True, the area has potential, but how long from now will it be realized, if ever. The OP is looking to move next spring, not 50 years from now. Outside of Elizabeth City, Edenton, or anywhere in Dare County, where would you recommend? Outside of Hampton Roads access would recommend any of them over Wilmington or other areas of the coast or comparable areas in NC in general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina