Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,174 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Greenville, NC, but know almost nothing about the city. I recently graduated from college, so I'd be looking to live where other young professionals live. Are there areas like that? Also what is the social life and life in generally like for people my age?

Any help is tremendously appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 01:14 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
I don't know your budget, but the Hyde Park condos off Charles Blvd. are predominantly grad students/post grads and are in a good, fairly central location. Breezewood condos are adjacent, as are Tara condos. Greenville caters mostly to undergrads and families, but you can find people in your age group/situation and have a decent social life. Just don't expect much of a culture or sports entertainment options beyond ECU.

Be sure to ask us about neighborhoods/complexes you take an interest in. Sometimes things look good online and on maps, but perhaps aren't what they appear to be. We'll gladly offer advice. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
I'd recommend the area the previous poster suggested, maybe commonly referred to as Bells Fork. Or consider the area west of the Hospital, where lots of young professionals live.

I lived in Greenville for a few years after college and found it very fun. Weekends at the beach are easy trips, Raleigh is an easy trip for big concerts, ECU tailgating can't really be beat. And loads of young people in town, many in grad school. Depending on what your hobbies are, Greenville probably has it.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:56 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
You may have some people warn you about Greenville. Greenville has a lot to offer but you have to want to put forth a little effort to be successful here. It is not like a lot of other places, where things to do literally jump right in your lap. Greenville is suffering some growing pains, but it is also a great time to live in Greenville as you watch it grow.

Crime can be a problem. There are 2 things you can do to virtually guarantee your safety though. The first is to remember that birds of a feather, fly together. That means don't hang out with the wrong crowd in the wrong place. The second is not to be out walking around at 2 AM and then try to use an ATM. Either of these actions may result in you being mugged.

Oh... I almost forgot. Lock your house and car doors and don't leave valuables where the bad guys can see them.

All 3 of these items are just good old fashioned common sense.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:39 PM

192 posts, read 280,905 times
Crime is a bit of a problem, specifically in the downtown area.
Most areas off of Firetower Rd are decent. I'd agree that the Bells Fork area is a bit safer. I'd stay away from most of the areas directly off of or north of Greenville Blvd. Staying close to Firetower is probably you're best bet. Especially with the new developments (New Walmart east by Portertown & 10th and newer restaurants West on S. Memorial off of Firetower). Plus the traffic is far less congested than Greenville Blvd and it still allows you quick access to downtown via Evans, Charles, Arlington or 14th.
It does take some effort to find groups to fit it with for a young professional/recent grad. At least that's the experience that I've had but mostly because I work a lot. If you need help looking for social life I'd stay clear of the bar scene here. The downtown area after dark is not an ideal social gathering area but a lot of strides have been made to improve it during the day. Come to think of it we should really start a thread on "Events in Greenville" so people like yourself and other can see some of the activities and events that are going on.
For example the Umbrella market downtown on Wednesdays, Free Boot Fridays, Greenville Young Professionals, Greenville Green Drinks etc. Most of these groups (not the events though) can be found on Facebook.

Let us know if you have any other questions about what kind of groups you're looking for and maybe we can help.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:27 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
I agree with the previous posters, when it comes to living. Anywhere around Red Banks, Charles, Firetower, Arlington is good for YPs.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:14 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I agree with the previous posters, when it comes to living. Anywhere around Red Banks, Charles, Firetower, Arlington is good for YPs.
I wouldn't say anywhere around there. Oakmont, Wedgewood, Carriage House, Upton Court - I would not recommend.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,096 times
Im also moving to greenville as a post grad. The internet search has been crazy, trying to determi.ne the good and bad/ghetto areas from pictures. I need to know if some of the nicer areas to live for around 700 a monyh. Really would like a 2 bedroom or spacious 1 bedroom

Old 07-04-2013, 03:27 AM

Seeing the safer places to live is easy. Just set the parameters of this crime map to a long length of time, say 6 months to a year, and the safer areas become quite apparent. The last time I did this it indicated that Greenville Blvd was kind of a dividing line. The north side was sketchy and the south side was safer.

The Daily Reflector

Old 07-04-2013, 03:33 AM

Don't forget to set the "Events" to the type of crime you're interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina