Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:13 PM

80 posts, read 322,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Boomer Jersey Gal View Post
My husband & I are born & raised in Northern New Jersey and have been considering a move into the Wilmington area for sometime now. We are vacationing there again in June and always look around. I am looking to connect with others that have made the move from the North or considering as well. I was looking into Brunswick Forest & considered the Southport area as well.

Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate reading your post. It changed my mind on moving to Southport or the many "communities" in Brunswick county. I have recently changed my focus to Wilmington area because I want to be close to shopping, restaurants, hospitals, etc yet enjoy the beaches & warmer weather.

If anyone would like to email me, I would love to share with those of similiar interests.
Baby Boomer Gal...I grew up in Livingston, live in CT now, but spend a lot of time along the Carolinas coast (own a vacation home in Pawleys Island). For my business, I will be visiting the Southport area late next week, including a stop at Brunswick Forest, and would be happy to provide you with my impressions (actually, I will likely post them on my web site but happy to embellish for you). Also planning stops at Ocean Ridge and St. James a little further south. I published an issue of my newsletter dedicated to Wilmington and would be happy to send that if you indicate. One final note: I visited the North Shore Country Club community 10 days ago, near Topsail Island, about 40 minutes north of Wilmington, and thought it was, dollar for dollar, one of the best buys on the coast. I posted reviews at my web site.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-09-2008 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: signature violation

Old 04-09-2008, 06:36 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,785 times
why would you want to live in a neighborhood where everyone is from "the north." I prefer a more diverse place. give em to me from north, east, south, and west. perhaps not so much east, then my neighbor would be a fish, or worse, a shark. wilmington is a much better choice than southport for a younger couple.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:36 AM

698 posts, read 3,266,949 times
Southport is beautiful!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
why would you want to live in a neighborhood where everyone is from "the north." I prefer a more diverse place. give em to me from north, east, south, and west. perhaps not so much east, then my neighbor would be a fish, or worse, a shark. wilmington is a much better choice than southport for a younger couple.
In fairness to Boomer Gal, I think she was just looking for some experiences of those who have already made the transition she is about to make, not to move to an enclave of, yuck, northerners. You seem to have a thing about the Union. Get over it; that war is over.

Larry

Old 04-10-2008, 08:49 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,785 times
I was born in detroit, grew up in washington DC, and my entire extended family lives in VT, ME, NH, and MA. you really hit the nail on the head, better luck next time. I am qualified to give advice on this transition as I know both new england and southport very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgavrich View Post
In fairness to Boomer Gal, I think she was just looking for some experiences of those who have already made the transition she is about to make, not to move to an enclave of, yuck, northerners. You seem to have a thing about the Union. Get over it; that war is over.

Larry

Old 04-10-2008, 08:34 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,046 times
Are the schools that serve Southport reasonable (high school), or is it wiser to stay put and move to a place like Southport after they're all in college or beyond? Any opinions or info welcome.

I wonder also if the new "port" would seriously change (maybe not for the better) the flavor and feel (and demographics) of Southport?

Old 04-11-2008, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 12,397 times
What can you tell me about Oakwood Glen?

Old 08-03-2008, 04:54 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
I recently went to visit friends on Bald Head Island. We caught the ferry in Southport.

As a Raleigh, NC resident for over 30 years, I don't know why I have never been to Southport before! It is beautiful. Plenty of shops and the river front is beautiful.

We have been checking out areas around Southport for our weekend home. I love Rivermist. Thus far, it is at the top of my list.

They have dropped the base price of their homes and I believe now is a good time to buy.

Anyone else have anything to say about Southport? I am in love!!!

Vicki

Old 08-05-2008, 12:56 PM

Default Southport is charming...for now

While I was doing some research about golf communities in the Southport area, I learned about plans to build a $1 billion sea port just north of Southport. It will bring a few thousand new jobs to the area, but also new roads traveled by the many trucks moving inland from the docks. The town of Southport will certainly change, perhaps for the better, perhaps not. Opposition to the port is growing, as this recent article attests: 05-28-08: Opposition grows to new port in Southport — nccoast.org (http://www.nccoast.org/internationalport - broken link). Proceed with caution.

Larry Gavrich

Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgavrich View Post
While I was doing some research about golf communities in the Southport area, I learned about plans to build a $1 billion sea port just north of Southport. It will bring a few thousand new jobs to the area, but also new roads traveled by the many trucks moving inland from the docks. The town of Southport will certainly change, perhaps for the better, perhaps not. Opposition to the port is growing, as this recent article attests: 05-28-08: Opposition grows to new port in Southport — nccoast.org (http://www.nccoast.org/internationalport - broken link). Proceed with caution.

Larry Gavrich
Anyone that has done ANY research already knows about the port. Some do not think it will be a negative and if it doesn't happen, so be it.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina