U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:29 AM

80 posts, read 285,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Anyone that has done ANY research already knows about the port. Some do not think it will be a negative and if it doesn't happen, so be it.

Vicki
Okay, sorry, I stated the blindingly obvious. You took your shot. So now will you be good enough to share your "research" about the impact other ports around the country have had on the character of charming towns just a few miles away? "Some do not think it will be a negative and if it doesn't happen, so be it" doesn't exactly qualify as a profound opinion.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:31 AM

214 posts, read 736,516 times
First of all I want to thank everyone for sharing their views on Southport, however, I feel there are a few discrepancies that need to be addressed:

1. If and when the Port does arrive it will be positioned outside of the town, and separate roads and the rail system will provide access from Southport to Wilmington. It will produce over 10,000 jobs (5000 locally). It is about 15 years out, so anyone who has recommendations, better throw their hats in now and get involved with city government. There will be good things as a result of the Port and it will also have some negative impact. But if done correctly it will bolster the local economy.

2. Palmetto Creek is a beautiful community, all infrastructure is in place, the developers are well financed, and it is ideally located 15 mins from Route 17, for those looking to live here, but needing to get to Wilmington in 30 mins. The homes are well constructed, not slapped together, and of the highest quality. If there are any investors out there, I would strongly recommend you start putting in shopping centers, as there is now enough residents to support it.

3. The Preserve, once in bankruptcy, due to the original investors over speculation, is now back on it's feet and going forward. One of the original investors has stepped up to the plate, and is completing infrastructure, and the remaining units are being finished. Go to www.stateportpilot.com for information on this.

4. Brunswick County has been ranked as the 17th fastest growing county in the country.

Please folks, I think it's great sharing your opinions, but they are just YOUR opinions, I prefer to deal with the facts. For any newcomer or those just discovering this area, pull up the State Port Pilot, on Wednesdays, there you will gain the most insight into what is transpiring in this area. If anyone would like to PM me with any questions or concerns please feel free to do so. I have lived in Southport for over 4 years now. I am not retired, I am gainfully employed, and I just love this area, as I am sure you will too.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:45 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,352,349 times
they are finally working on the preserve again? good. it actually seemed like a nice complex. not sure what they were selling for though. however, I still find it ironic that they would call a brand new condo complex "the preserve." if it was truly preserved, they wouldn't have built new condos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
First of all I want to thank everyone for sharing their views on Southport, however, I feel there are a few discrepancies that need to be addressed:

1. If and when the Port does arrive it will be positioned outside of the town, and separate roads and the rail system will provide access from Southport to Wilmington. It will produce over 10,000 jobs (5000 locally). It is about 15 years out, so anyone who has recommendations, better throw their hats in now and get involved with city government. There will be good things as a result of the Port and it will also have some negative impact. But if done correctly it will bolster the local economy.

2. Palmetto Creek is a beautiful community, all infrastructure is in place, the developers are well financed, and it is ideally located 15 mins from Route 17, for those looking to live here, but needing to get to Wilmington in 30 mins. The homes are well constructed, not slapped together, and of the highest quality. If there are any investors out there, I would strongly recommend you start putting in shopping centers, as there is now enough residents to support it.

3. The Preserve, once in bankruptcy, due to the original investors over speculation, is now back on it's feet and going forward. One of the original investors has stepped up to the plate, and is completing infrastructure, and the remaining units are being finished. Go to www.stateportpilot.com for information on this.

4. Brunswick County has been ranked as the 17th fastest growing county in the country.

Please folks, I think it's great sharing your opinions, but they are just YOUR opinions, I prefer to deal with the facts. For any newcomer or those just discovering this area, pull up the State Port Pilot, on Wednesdays, there you will gain the most insight into what is transpiring in this area. If anyone would like to PM me with any questions or concerns please feel free to do so. I have lived in Southport for over 4 years now. I am not retired, I am gainfully employed, and I just love this area, as I am sure you will too.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:51 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,355,449 times
As a real estate broker here in Carteret County -All I can say is that Southport is a wonderful place. I haven't visited there in a while-But if I didn't live & work along the Crystal Coast-Southport would be my next choice.
Come on down-Explore! Poke around!! You'll find out quickly if the area is "your cup of tea"
I can't imagine how it couldn't be!!
Bill

Old 08-09-2008, 09:32 AM

Default Thank you for supporting Southport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
As a real estate broker here in Carteret County -All I can say is that Southport is a wonderful place. I haven't visited there in a while-But if I didn't live & work along the Crystal Coast-Southport would be my next choice.
Come on down-Explore! Poke around!! You'll find out quickly if the area is "your cup of tea"
I can't imagine how it couldn't be!!
Bill
I can't imagine why those who do not live here, tend to paint such a negative picture of Southport, or why the moderators do not ask them to stick to the facts and post accurate information, however, I am growing weary of it. I seldom post on this Forum anymore, as I find it to be contentious and inaccurate.
Thank you Bill and others who have posted positive, accurate, comments on Southport. WE have families to support here and feel the negativism may actually be driving people away from this truly beautiful area.
Way to go "jmarquise", you just can't seem to stop the negative dribble. Eventually people will come to see that your posts are untrustworthy and unfounded, just the ranting of a very unhappy, uninformed individual.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:12 AM

I am not sure how the definition of the word preserve can be "negative dribble." by very definition, one can see the irony in naming something the preserve when they bulldozed hundreds of trees. I think you should read the TOS. this are opinion forums, and I really don't understand what you don't get about that. that is why moderators don't do anything, because there is nothing wrong with stating an opinion. I know you are involved in real estate and land development. I guess that's what you meant when you said that you have a family to feed. I have never stated anything negative about southport. I did, however, give a 100% accurate portrayal of brunswick county. it's my opinion, and I am entitled to it. if you don't like it, post your own opinion, but don't attempt to insult me for having mine, or claim that it is inaccurate. I have a pretty good reputation on this site, so I guess not everyone thinks my posts are untrustworthy and unfounded.

how about instead of addressing each other, we stick to the topic. that is southport. southport is a small, quaint, town on the water. some nice older homes. the town itself is pretty small, and only has a few shops and places to eat. you will have to go to wal mart to do the bulk of your shopping.

Quote:
I can't imagine why those who do not live here, tend to paint such a negative picture of Southport, or why the moderators do not ask them to stick to the facts and post accurate information, however, I am growing weary of it. I seldom post on this Forum anymore, as I find it to be contentious and inaccurate.
Thank you Bill and others who have posted positive, accurate, comments on Southport. WE have families to support here and feel the negativism may actually be driving people away from this truly beautiful area.
Way to go "jmarquise", you just can't seem to stop the negative dribble. Eventually people will come to see that your posts are untrustworthy and unfounded, just the ranting of a very unhappy, uninformed individual.

Last edited by jmarquise; 08-09-2008 at 10:31 AM..

Old 08-10-2008, 09:38 AM

12,023 posts, read 28,322,455 times
I have chosen Southport as my new favorite place!

I love the river, the location, the feel of the area and the people that I have met.

Although we are just buying a weekend home, I just KNOW that I am going to enjoy living there.

This forum is a great place to learn different areas. However, when it is time to buy or rent in an area, you owe it to yourself to do your research and then visit the area and make those decisions for yourself. Like they say...everyone has an opinion! I prefer to have the FACTS!

Vicki

Old 08-10-2008, 01:53 PM

Default Your portrayal of Southport is 100% inaccurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I am not sure how the definition of the word preserve can be "negative dribble." by very definition, one can see the irony in naming something the preserve when they bulldozed hundreds of trees. I think you should read the TOS. this are opinion forums, and I really don't understand what you don't get about that. that is why moderators don't do anything, because there is nothing wrong with stating an opinion. I know you are involved in real estate and land development. I guess that's what you meant when you said that you have a family to feed. I have never stated anything negative about southport. I did, however, give a 100% accurate portrayal of brunswick county. it's my opinion, and I am entitled to it. if you don't like it, post your own opinion, but don't attempt to insult me for having mine, or claim that it is inaccurate. I have a pretty good reputation on this site, so I guess not everyone thinks my posts are untrustworthy and unfounded.

how about instead of addressing each other, we stick to the topic. that is southport. southport is a small, quaint, town on the water. some nice older homes. the town itself is pretty small, and only has a few shops and places to eat. you will have to go to wal mart to do the bulk of your shopping.
Actually your portrayal of Brunswick County is 100% inaccurate.
1. Other than Walmart, we have Food Lion, Lowe's and Harris Tweeter, to open soon in Leland, NC.
2. The Preserve is actually in Oak Island, and trees may have been cut down, many have been left standing, two rotting steel structures were removed that were leaching into the ICW, and the airport has been expanded by 5000 feet.
3. Southport yes, is small and quaint, we also have a Hospital, many doctors and dentists have relocated here, great restaurants, fantastic marina's and 100 year old live oaks.
4. Our taxes are low, and our public utilities and public servants, fire and police departments are top notch.
Need I say more. There are so many more attributes this town has to offer and too numerous to mention. I love it here, I work here and "dag nabbit" I won't have you put it down. Go find another forum, you are not welcome here, unless you can contribute some facts to back up your opionions.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:36 PM

I guess you never read the TOS. I am welcome here, but you keep trying to hijack the thread. I am going to start a brunswick county thread now so you can voice your OPINIONS there. this is a thread about the town of southport.

Quote:
1. Other than Walmart, we have Food Lion, Lowe's and Harris Tweeter, to open soon in Leland, NC.
2. The Preserve is actually in Oak Island, and trees may have been cut down, many have been left standing, two rotting steel structures were removed that were leaching into the ICW, and the airport has been expanded by 5000 feet.
3. Southport yes, is small and quaint, we also have a Hospital, many doctors and dentists have relocated here, great restaurants, fantastic marina's and 100 year old live oaks.
4. Our taxes are low, and our public utilities and public servants, fire and police departments are top notch.
Need I say more. There are so many more attributes this town has to offer and too numerous to mention. I love it here, I work here and "dag nabbit" I won't have you put it down. Go find another forum, you are not welcome here, unless you can contribute some facts to back up your opionions.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:10 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,408,529 times
Quote:
Anyone have info re the high school situation in Southport or environs?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina