U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:37 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,351,543 times

Advertisements

high schools in southport, and the majority of brunswick county are very poor. here is a link to the newsweek ranking of high schools in the US. I gave up after looking for schools past 600 in the nation. I was just looking for a school in brunswick county, not even southport. schools there are very poor.

America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway50 View Post
Anyone have info re the high school situation in Southport or environs?

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:47 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,329,610 times
[quote=jmarquise;4808110]high schools in southport, and the majority of brunswick county are very poor. here is a link to the newsweek ranking of high schools in the US. I gave up after looking for schools past 600 in the nation. I was just looking for a school in brunswick county, not even southport. schools there are very poor.

[/QUhttp://www.newsweek.com/id/39380/?s=southport+ncOTE]

JM-According to Newsweek, South Brunswick Schools ranked 896 out of 1300.

Sailaway50-just find the little option of plugging in the district you are interested in. Southport kids go to South Brunswick school district.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:36 AM

452 posts, read 2,127,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
high schools in southport, and the majority of brunswick county are very poor. here is a link to the newsweek ranking of high schools in the US. I gave up after looking for schools past 600 in the nation. I was just looking for a school in brunswick county, not even southport. schools there are very poor.

True overall, and I don't even put much stock in those lists. However, education starts in the home and with family. It's possible to get a good education in the Brunswick County schools- I know quite a few people who graduated, went on to excellent colleges, and earn very well placed salaries now. I, too, have been concerned about the Brunswick County schools now that I've moved back here (to my husband's "home area") because education is very important to me and I want my kids to get a very good one.

I am concerned about the number of students who do poorly around here, but what can you do? All you can control is within your home, and remain involved in your child's education, and chances are if the parent is well educated and involved, the child will be fine. A child's curiosity for learning starts well before kindergarten and their school habits are well established way before high school.

Supposedly the schools around Southport are better than the schools in South and West BrunsCo, but I know quite a few people who have done just fine from all. I think the problem is two fold. First, cost of living is high around here and average income is low so a lot of kids come from families where both parents work and in some cases, more than one job, so they just don't have time to get too involved. And second, I won't digress, it's just that so many kids coming along today are spoiled and aren't taught the proper values to succeed in school and life, and they're spoiled.

BTW Southport is a nice area, as is most of Brunswick County. Areas are building up and becoming more upscale and there is also still a lot of rural, undeveloped land for people who like a more quiet, spacious area to live in. My big complaint about the whole area is I'm used to having a much bigger city nearby to go to for shopping and medical stuff, and all that's here is basically Wilmington. It's ok, I'm just saying...I miss having close access to a much larger city.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:09 AM

214 posts, read 736,459 times
Default Brunswick County Schools ranked 89th out of 186 schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
True overall, and I don't even put much stock in those lists. However, education starts in the home and with family. It's possible to get a good education in the Brunswick County schools- I know quite a few people who graduated, went on to excellent colleges, and earn very well placed salaries now. I, too, have been concerned about the Brunswick County schools now that I've moved back here (to my husband's "home area") because education is very important to me and I want my kids to get a very good one.

I am concerned about the number of students who do poorly around here, but what can you do? All you can control is within your home, and remain involved in your child's education, and chances are if the parent is well educated and involved, the child will be fine. A child's curiosity for learning starts well before kindergarten and their school habits are well established way before high school.

Supposedly the schools around Southport are better than the schools in South and West BrunsCo, but I know quite a few people who have done just fine from all. I think the problem is two fold. First, cost of living is high around here and average income is low so a lot of kids come from families where both parents work and in some cases, more than one job, so they just don't have time to get too involved. And second, I won't digress, it's just that so many kids coming along today are spoiled and aren't taught the proper values to succeed in school and life, and they're spoiled.

BTW Southport is a nice area, as is most of Brunswick County. Areas are building up and becoming more upscale and there is also still a lot of rural, undeveloped land for people who like a more quiet, spacious area to live in. My big complaint about the whole area is I'm used to having a much bigger city nearby to go to for shopping and medical stuff, and all that's here is basically Wilmington. It's ok, I'm just saying...I miss having close access to a much larger city.
For those of you interested in obtaining information about Brunswick County schools I have found a website that I believe will be very helpful. www.schooldigger.com, it has ranked Brunswick as 89th out of 186 schools. I attempted to copy the information but it was not readable.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:35 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,974 times
I gotta interject something here. From the Va. border to the SC border-I love the coast of North Carolina. I love the inside waters too. But it is all very diverse-So personal preferences will guide each and everyone one of us.
If you are "from off" and not familiar with our coast line (both outer and inner) please take the time to visit.
One of the most common comments I see here at CD is the need/desire for larger city amenities. Well-That can be somewhat dificult in a lot of coastal NC areas. Please keep that in mind.
Bill

Old 04-07-2009, 03:38 PM

81 posts, read 262,194 times
Default Question??

My hubby and I are thinking about moving to NC (from Chicago), maybe even near Southport...Does anyone know if there is a problem with racism in Southport, or NC as a whole?

Old 04-08-2009, 11:36 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,207,831 times
no more or less than any other area. I would suggest moving closer to wilmington though, as there isn't much in southport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer2911 View Post
My hubby and I are thinking about moving to NC (from Chicago), maybe even near Southport...Does anyone know if there is a problem with racism in Southport, or NC as a whole?

Old 04-08-2009, 02:11 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
Here is a link to the NC Dept of Public Instruction Rating of Brumswick County Schools.

District Search Results Page

I taught at SBMS several (well, 12 years ago) At that time it was rated the highest a school could get rated in NC. I know a lot has changed, but if you look at South Brunswick High School, via the above link, and click on High Student Performance, SBHS scores better than the state on EVERY End of Course Test monitored. Also pay attention to the number of teachers with advanced degrees and number of national board certified teachers.

Yeah, I know being better than the NC state average is not all that great, but if you and your child want a quality high school education, you and he or she can receive one at South Brunswick High. Additionally, their aquaculture program was at one time nationally recognized. It may still be.

From a person that used to live down there and moved, I would be much more concerned about, not necessarily in order:

1) Rampant building/development in and around Southpourt
2) Gross price inflation vs value
3) Raw sewage from Oak Island
4) Limited access into and out of Southport (tourist problem, not hurricane)
5) Limited acess into and out of Oak Island (how's the 2nd bridge doing?) (tourist problem not hurricane)
6) Muddy water from the Cape Fear giving most ocean water a dingy look
7) Not finding a parking place at that place on the ICW in Southport for a cold beer and shrimp
8) and for you Nervous Nellies, Nuclear Meltdown

All these issues would worry me more than the school situation in Brunswick County.

lln

Old 04-09-2009, 06:16 AM

214 posts, read 736,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Here is a link to the NC Dept of Public Instruction Rating of Brumswick County Schools.

District Search Results Page

I taught at SBMS several (well, 12 years ago) At that time it was rated the highest a school could get rated in NC. I know a lot has changed, but if you look at South Brunswick High School, via the above link, and click on High Student Performance, SBHS scores better than the state on EVERY End of Course Test monitored. Also pay attention to the number of teachers with advanced degrees and number of national board certified teachers.

Yeah, I know being better than the NC state average is not all that great, but if you and your child want a quality high school education, you and he or she can receive one at South Brunswick High. Additionally, their aquaculture program was at one time nationally recognized. It may still be.

From a person that used to live down there and moved, I would be much more concerned about, not necessarily in order:

1) Rampant building/development in and around Southpourt
2) Gross price inflation vs value
3) Raw sewage from Oak Island
4) Limited access into and out of Southport (tourist problem, not hurricane)
5) Limited acess into and out of Oak Island (how's the 2nd bridge doing?) (tourist problem not hurricane)
6) Muddy water from the Cape Fear giving most ocean water a dingy look
7) Not finding a parking place at that place on the ICW in Southport for a cold beer and shrimp
8) and for you Nervous Nellies, Nuclear Meltdown

All these issues would worry me more than the school situation in Brunswick County.

lln
You haven't painted a very pretty picture of Southport, LLN, and it may have been sometime since you have last visited the area (12 years is a long time).
I have always felt "happiness grows in one's own garden".
Actually building has slowed dramatically, if not completely come to a standstill, as it has in the majority of the country. Resales and foreclosures are now attracting savvy buyers.
Having lived in major cities the majority of my life, I find the traffic here very light in comparison.
Yes I would love to see some improvements, such as "round abouts", that would allow traffic to move more efficiently, and I would also like to see some roads widened, but it really is up to those who live here to push for improvements.
The 2nd bridge to Oak Island is scheduled for completion the end of 2009.
Rt. 211 corridor, is turning into a gold mine attracting commercial business to sustain the residential influx of newcomers and retirees.
Southport is ideally situated for folks looking for a quieter lifestyle and having access to major cities, such as Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, SC.
If you need to be in Wilmington, it's about a 30 minute commute to the bridge, or take the ferry to Carolina Beach.
Property values continue to be resilient and have stabilized, as everyone it seems wants to move to a coastal area with mild temperate year round weather.
Jobs really are the main hindrance. And I would recommend to anyone seeking to relocate here, if not retired, to secure a job first and/or pursue a work from home situation. Forbes recently announced Wilmington as the 13th best place still attracting businesses.
What is probably most attractive to folks are our low property taxes, quality of life, and yes our beautiful coastline, pristine beaches and lack of parking meters. Yes there are no meters, can you imagine a coastal town not having meters. Rehoboth Beach, DE I have heard, is now charging $1.50/per hour and $30.00 if the meter has expired. You won't find us gouging tourists or newcomers, we still welcome all.
Parking can get a little tough, especially during the summer season, but you can still enjoy your beer and seafood, and not have to worry about rushing to your car to feed the meter.
My best advice to anyone who is considering this area is to visit, explore and above all enjoy the scenery.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
Actually I visit often having in-laws still living on the island. In fact, we were scheduled to go down today, but wife is sick.

My post was not meant to de-flatter the Southport, only address that the perpetual worry about Brunswick County Schools is for the most part unfounded and with parental interest, communication, and support, even existing obstacles can be overcome.

The worries I mentioned are for the most part either mitigated or non-events, but all are more worrisome that SBHS.

I felt I was pretty postive about the schools, which was not mentioned, by the way.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina