Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 06:42 AM

5 posts, read 6,923 times

Advertisements

Good morning all!

I've been wading through the coastal threads because I've narrowed my forever home to the coastal Carolina area. I've posted before, in the general threads, but that was before I truly decided where I wanted to move after retirement. My background - I'm a divorced mother of 2, daughter is in the Army reserves as an operating room tech, currently deployed. My son is in the Marine reserve, actually currently at Courthouse Bay for the summer, and has one more year of college. I don't expect either child to move with me, but one never knows. They aren't big into social nightlife so not a requirement. Plus that's on them . I was born at Camp Lejeune, and have wanted to move to NC for many years. Actually, I've just wanted to move from the VA winters, but since my folks are still here, NC is my compromise. I'm still working on getting them to move to the same area I settle in, but it's a work in progress. I'm not a partier, although I like the occasional drink, so not a teetotaler. Just don't like going out to party. I'm looking for a nice neighborhood/subdivision that has small lots, sidewalks to walk my small dog, water because he and I like to go out on our sit on kayak (not the white water variety - my current subdivision has a couple of small man made lakes - we like to go out and paddle around). We are NOT serious kayakers, but love to piddle. I love taking him to our local historic downtown to walk and maybe get a bite to eat outside (so he can be with me) if possible. Problem is that area is over 20 minutes away, and I don't like having to drive that far just to walk around. I'm looking for a single story home with 3/2, and a small backyard that is either fenced in or am allowed to fence in so that he can play around outside. We are right now sitting out on our front porch while I'm surfing the web and looking at places. HOA's don't bother me, because I currently live in an HOA community.

I'm very drawn to the New Bern area, but am totally open to other areas in that part of NC. I'm looking at $150K - no more than $200K. I currently live in a wooded community, which is nice, but we don't have sidewalks and the people drive like they are fleeing a fire so can be a little dangerous. Speed limit is 25 but I think I'm the only one that drives that.

I am actually coming down to NC in 2 weeks on my vacation to look around. Initially, I was looking at three different areas - New Bern, Salisbury, and Oxford. Unfortunately, I had already made non-refundable hotel reservation in Salisbury, and have since decided it's probably too close to the mountains and too far away from the water. And I've totally decided that Oxford is too close to VA, which means more winter than I want. I will go ahead and go to Salisbury and spend a few days, and may just drive around Oxford for the day as I'm driving home. I'll be in New Bern for about 4 days, so will have plenty of time to do some initial looks at several areas. I've talked to my daughter about taking a few days to visit when she gets back from deployment, which should be in the Jan/Feb timeframe. I'd like to see what the winter feels like also. I won't need a job after I retire, but I would love to either get a part time job to get me out of the house, and/or volunteer work, especially with animals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 07:03 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherto2 View Post
.... I'm looking for a single story home with 3/2, and a small backyard that is either fenced in or am allowed to fence in so that he can play around outside..... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I think Havelock would work for you, but not many areas have sidewalks. I saw a house in the "Southern Terrace" development in Havelock which has sidewalks. It is on Wormwood Branch Court, listed at $186,500. There's another on Running Branch at $179K.

There are also houses in the River Bend and Trent Woods areas of New Bern that might work for you. There is also a gated community at Fairfield Harbour, but the biggest disadvantage is the 6 mile drive to groceries, and the 10-11 miles to the hospital.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:08 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Check out Tucker Creek. On one real estate site there are a number of homes there from $150 - $200. Has sidewalks and is Havelock, but on the New Bern side so you are not dealing with all the Havelock traffic lights. It is on a small creek, with a community ramp, so you could easily launch yaks close to home.

Good Luck.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:05 PM

278 posts, read 576,842 times
I would look at Beaufort, the downtown fits the bill.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:22 PM

422 posts, read 1,362,092 times
I lived in Oxford for 8 years but moved to Wilmington a year ago. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina