Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 PM

32 posts, read 73,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yeah, last time I checked, most people I'm aware of with Psych BAs were working in retail/service-type jobs (I even know someone with a PhD in Psych and several years of experience who can't find more than a one year appointment, and had to move out of NC to get it). Human Resources might be his best bet, but with the 5th-highest unemployment in the US, North Carolina is an employer's market in most fields and they can demand lots of experience, not just a degree, because there are dozens if not hundreds of applications for every opening.

Good luck to you.
Well unless 15 years of experience doesn't count and the listings on the many websites we are associated with are defunct, we're hoping he will find a decent job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 05:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,586 times
I'm a retired, single female and thinking about moving to the Calabash area. Can someone give me their thoughts on the area...it's benefits and drawbacks...if there are any. I'd be moving from the Ocala,Florida area. Other than golf, what other recreational activities are available. Is there one plantation or subdivision that you would recommend?

Old 07-13-2013, 09:37 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,866,908 times
Psych jobs are actually in high demand in Eastern/Coastal NC because of the military (PTSD) and places like Bryn Marr and Cherry/O'berry hopsital. There is quite a lot of work with mental health and mental retardation in ENC.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:55 AM

13,324 posts, read 26,800,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanna500 View Post
I'm a retired, single female and thinking about moving to the Calabash area. Can someone give me their thoughts on the area...it's benefits and drawbacks...if there are any. I'd be moving from the Ocala,Florida area. Other than golf, what other recreational activities are available. Is there one plantation or subdivision that you would recommend?
Why are you interested in Calabash in particular? For other recreation you could go to Myrtle Beach and do "people-watching". You could go to the farmer's markets in summer, play tennis or go to Sunset Beach. I think Brunswick Plantation is a good option, but only the single family houses rather than the condos. The condos were designed primarily as rentals.

Personally, i would prefer to be closer to Wilmington, eg Leland, as I find Calabash rather isolated and rural. Wilmington has museums, theater, art galleries, interesting restaurants. Calabash has few attractions other than fried seafood restaurants.

I'd suggest reading through these threads, then start your own thread if you still have questions:

Moving to Calabash!

Residential building lots OIB, Sunset, Calabash

Calabash, NC

Calabash, Sunset beach, Brunswick plantation

Old 07-15-2013, 08:39 AM

5,503 posts, read 6,222,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn826 View Post
Well unless 15 years of experience doesn't count and the listings on the many websites we are associated with are defunct, we're hoping he will find a decent job.
Robyn if you are moving anywhere getting a job first is the most important thing, then move to your choice location. Good luck to both of you.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 PM

35 posts, read 76,110 times
I moved to Little River SC from Boston with a college degree and 20 years in as an Legal Assistant. I only had two interviews in six months and only because in each instance, I had a problem downloading through the website. I found the name of the company, called their HR department and told them there was a problem with their website and obtained a fax number to send them my resume directly. I faxed my resume to them and both interviewed me. I accepted one position and have been working for four months. Each company said they received over 500 resumes in a two day span. Three weeks into my employment I did receive a rejection letter from the company that hired me saying a more qualified person was hired for the position (so it must have made it through but never acknowledged that it did). I was told that there is a criteria placed with the jobs and they only scan for certain words which obviously the computer did not think I was a viable candidate but my boss did. My advice would be to find the number of the HR department and try to get it in their hands either by faxing or direct mailing.

One thing I did find was a potential employers are concerned with the significant difference in the pay rate. I was fortunate, I was hired for half of what I made up north and ended up with a great group of people! Good luck!!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 AM

505 posts, read 2,534,742 times
Kind of hard not to be confrontational with a hater...all you do is slam my homestate in every thread. So because you dont like it here...you make it your soul purpose to hate on NC? Do you realize how many people move here and actually love it here? LOts!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,782,108 times
yeah and theres a lot that despise the state. NC is my home state, but yet I despise it. Grant it, it will always be home...but sometimes you outgrow an area and need a change of scenery. Personally i think too many people relocated to NC thinking it was the promised land filled with milk and honey. Now there are not enough of good-paying jobs to go around for everyone. Yes there are jobs out there... and yes we all do what we have to do when times get tough, including myself....But face it $9.00hr. is not gonna cut it. By the way, Im on my way out if I can land another job in another state.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,609,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You see, that is kind of the problem. They make a decision on their own, without considering the environment they are moving too, and then it can (not always but can) turn into a disaster.

There have been many, many threads on the NC forum about moved here and where are the jobs.
It's funny how people get really upset if someone suggests, "Don't move here without a job."

Old 08-05-2013, 11:39 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,782,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It's funny how people get really upset if someone suggests, "Don't move here without a job."
Now that is so true....I mean we are telling them for their own good and yet they still refuse to listen. Most people are just speaking from experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina