U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:11 AM

196 posts, read 500,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
yeah and theres a lot that despise the state. NC is my home state, but yet I despise it. Grant it, it will always be home...but sometimes you outgrow an area and need a change of scenery. Personally i think too many people relocated to NC thinking it was the promised land filled with milk and honey. Now there are not enough of good-paying jobs to go around for everyone. Yes there are jobs out there... and yes we all do what we have to do when times get tough, including myself....But face it $9.00hr. is not gonna cut it. By the way, Im on my way out if I can land another job in another state.
If you want to live in a state to truly despise, I suggest Maryland. I'll be a North Carolinian within a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 11:15 AM

122 posts, read 418,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Now that is so true....I mean we are telling them for their own good and yet they still refuse to listen. Most people are just speaking from experience.

I think the the OP stated they were retired.
Sad to say, but good paying jobs are difficult to get anywhere except maybe North Dakota.
Didn't I see headlines last week that the jobless rate was down? Of course everyone is running out of their benefits probably contributing to that number.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:09 AM

140 posts, read 381,296 times
We are a family of 4 living in tiny 2 room apartment in SF Bay area, 3rd floor walk-up, and we have also been thinking of moving to Wilmington for quite some time where many of our friends have moved. We own a home in San Francisco, but can't afford to live in it, so have it rented out to tenants.

We have visited Wilmington a few times, and kids loved the ferry boats, beaches, victorian architecture, etc. I was amazed at the cheap housing.

Rents for homes near where we live start at $3000/mo and that is my husbands entire paycheck, so option of a house with yard impossible dream here where we live. Our current rent for our tiny 1BR with outside storage unit is $2000/mo.

I am a bit concerned about finding a job. I worked 10 years telecom (Verizon), and lots of other odd jobs like commerical real estate appraiser, elder caregiver, kindergarten teacher, art teacher, and cashier. Husband is microbiologist. We are thinking of making the move next summer. I have been in SF bay area 20 years, and it has changed so much. All recreation facilities get razed to build new housing, and traffic is impossible now from 3pm-7pm, much like NYC. Everything seems to be getting seedier, less kid-friendly too. After school care is $30/hour ($15 each kid). Schools get out at 1pm around here, and the tax money that was slated for our schools were gambled away in stock market so now parent participation is required, and many fundraising events to keep any programs going like science and art. Our schools around here have no daily PE class, no foreign languages, no music programs, etc. It is pretty much minimum math and reading education.

Would Wilmington better for our kids? Greatschools.com has high scores in the neighborhoods where our friends live. Our kids have traveled a lot, and keep begging us to move there, or Virginia Beach where two of their best friends just moved last year and they really miss. Moving is hard, but worry raising kids in a tiny apartment all the way through high school will be rough. We have almost no privacy, and kids are boy and girl in a bunk bed, and husband and I live in living room - bed instead of sofas, etc. and there is no dining area, just eat in kitchen. Rents are going up everywhere around us, and no option to move to new home in SF bay area with our level of income. We are hoping to find jobs in Wilmington.

Last edited by Jasmine658; 08-10-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 08-10-2013, 11:33 AM

11,266 posts, read 19,814,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine658 View Post
We are hoping to find jobs in Wilmington.
I would concentrate on finding a job for the husband first, as he has more specialized experience. However, you should not pin all your hopes on Wilmington. It has only 100,000 people, and I have no idea how many suitable microbiology jobs. The general unemployment rate in new Hanover County is about 9%.

I think you should also look for jobs in the Triangle and other cities like Charleston, SC or Virginia Beach, as there are probably more suitable jobs there. Wilmington is nice, but there is nothing so unique about it that you should ignore other options.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:50 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,872,889 times
Jasmine658..I hear you! DH and I moved to coastal NC from SF Bay area, too.

My advice, for what it's worth, is that Wilmington and Asheville are very tough job markets, highly competitive and for the most part, lower wages than metro NC...better opportunities exist in Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro areas. These are not on the coast, but are lovely cities in which to live.

Greensboro has some excellent schools and easier access to the beautiful western NC mountains. Raleigh is much closer to Wilmington for beach weekends/vacations.

Hillsborough/Chapel Hill areas near Durham are delightful and rich in culture.

Another consideration for you and your family would be Greenville SC and Knoxville TN. Both have much to commend them.

You'll be very pleasantly surprised about housing costs and other costs...much lower property taxes, included.

To avoid unpleasant surprises, I recommend you make sure your new home or rental is well insulated...check out utility bills from January/Feb. (the coldest months) and August/Sept. (the steamiest months). Utility bills can be high with having to heat and cool--unlike the temperate Bay area.

We've found NC a much more relaxed and pleasant lifestyle. We chose the coast as we're both home-based tech workers, so no need to search for jobs...

The Bay area is very special but the cost of living has made it very difficult for ordinary people to afford. It's become the Manhattan of the West Coast. Small area, amazing culture, and rocketing COL. I don't miss the constant search for a parking place and parking tickets--at all!

Old 08-10-2013, 02:01 PM

11,266 posts, read 19,814,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
My advice, for what it's worth, is that Wilmington and Asheville are very tough job markets, highly competitive and for the most part, lower wages than metro NC...better opportunities exist in Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro areas. These are not on the coast, but are lovely cities in which to live.
Thank you LittleDolphin. I just checked Indeed.com for microbiologist jobs and there are zero in Wilmington, but a dozen or so listings in Raleigh or the RTP area.

I agree the family would be better economically off in North Carolina, but the OP has to be realistic about a location to find a job.

From Raleigh, it is only 2-2.5 hours to the beach and it is an easy weekend trip. Raleigh offers better educational opportunities and more sophisticated life-style choices than Wilmington, and it still has a much lower cost of living than San Francisco.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:30 PM

551 posts, read 1,699,793 times
Default Maryland is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingterp View Post
If you want to live in a state to truly despise, I suggest Maryland. I'll be a North Carolinian within a month.
I lived in Maryland most of my life and it was great. I have lived in coastal North Carolina for 4 years and love it here too. Both are great places.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:46 PM

27 posts, read 64,118 times
Yea Maryland is great if you love taxes, traffic, crime and idiotic politicians rated most corrupt in the country. Have missed it zero since leaving.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:36 AM

196 posts, read 500,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
I lived in Maryland most of my life and it was great. I have lived in coastal North Carolina for 4 years and love it here too. Both are great places.
I'm a 6th generation Marylander and many of the things that made it "great" have eroded, along with ever increasing taxes and fees, and businesses large and small fleeing the state. In the last 7 years Maryland went for 12 Fortune 500 companies to 3.

I'll receive a nominal 8% increase in my retirement income by moving from Maryland to NC. And that doesn't address new taxes in Maryland on rain, wind, air, fire. Coastal Carolina is friendlier, less costly, slower paced, and we aren't meeting the "self important" people that have invaded Maryland and the DC area.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:26 AM

38,298 posts, read 14,965,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine658 View Post
We are a family of 4 living in tiny 2 room apartment in SF Bay area, 3rd floor walk-up, and we have also been thinking of moving to Wilmington for quite some time where many of our friends have moved. We own a home in San Francisco, but can't afford to live in it, so have it rented out to tenants.

We have visited Wilmington a few times, and kids loved the ferry boats, beaches, victorian architecture, etc. I was amazed at the cheap housing.

Rents for homes near where we live start at $3000/mo and that is my husbands entire paycheck, so option of a house with yard impossible dream here where we live. Our current rent for our tiny 1BR with outside storage unit is $2000/mo.

I am a bit concerned about finding a job. I worked 10 years telecom (Verizon), and lots of other odd jobs like commerical real estate appraiser, elder caregiver, kindergarten teacher, art teacher, and cashier. Husband is microbiologist. We are thinking of making the move next summer. I have been in SF bay area 20 years, and it has changed so much. All recreation facilities get razed to build new housing, and traffic is impossible now from 3pm-7pm, much like NYC. Everything seems to be getting seedier, less kid-friendly too. After school care is $30/hour ($15 each kid). Schools get out at 1pm around here, and the tax money that was slated for our schools were gambled away in stock market so now parent participation is required, and many fundraising events to keep any programs going like science and art. Our schools around here have no daily PE class, no foreign languages, no music programs, etc. It is pretty much minimum math and reading education.

Would Wilmington better for our kids? Greatschools.com has high scores in the neighborhoods where our friends live. Our kids have traveled a lot, and keep begging us to move there, or Virginia Beach where two of their best friends just moved last year and they really miss. Moving is hard, but worry raising kids in a tiny apartment all the way through high school will be rough. We have almost no privacy, and kids are boy and girl in a bunk bed, and husband and I live in living room - bed instead of sofas, etc. and there is no dining area, just eat in kitchen. Rents are going up everywhere around us, and no option to move to new home in SF bay area with our level of income. We are hoping to find jobs in Wilmington.
Will your friends in Willmington let you and the kids crash with them while you explore options in NC?

A local address, plus the ability to walk in and hand over your resume beats online applications from across the country any day.

As the person with the legal assistant job pointed out, online applications are an iffy proposition. They get tons of submission and who knows what the selection criteria might be. That she was rejected as unqualified for the very position she obtained tells the story right there.

Sounds like you have a wide range of experience and could probably scramble up a job just about anywhere, while your spouse's skills are more specialized. You may want to explore his transferable skills. Microbiologists investigative, record, interpret and present data. They use statistical programs, qualitative and quantitative techniques and spreadsheets to critically evaluate information. These skills are all transferable to other careers such as project management.

If his job pays only three grand a month in San Francisco, you can bet the pay for a similar job in NC will be hardly worth getting out of bed.

So expand your options.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 08-11-2013 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina