U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:58 PM

8 posts, read 38,063 times

Advertisements

tomeverchris, I certainly don't want to scare you but the Lake Mattamuskeet area is an unusual destination. How on earth did you choose that area? As Lithuania stated, it is VERY rural, in fact I would use the term ISOLATED. I wouldn't doubt that the crime rate is low, but that's because so few people live there. And I honestly wouldn't count on "good" school systems, although I imagine that the class sizes are small. If you've never visited Lake Mattamuskeet, it looks big on the map but it is actually a huge puddle. No more than a few feet deep. It is not a beach type lake or even a lake for boating. It is primarily a wildlife preserve known for the huge flocks of water birds that come during migration. No waterfront homes, no small town charm, no people.
You'll want plenty of employment opportunities for your Jack-of-all-Trades husband so I'd suggest you either look closer to the Outer Banks or further inland. The next county west of Hyde is Beaufort and there are many smaller towns and rural areas to choose from. Little Washington (the county seat) is growing rapidly, so construction workers are needed and busy. The waterfront town of Bath (NC's oldest town) is tiny, quaint, friendly and boasts an excellent elementary school (grades k-8). The area is rural, but not isolated, a 15 minute drive to Little Washington, 45 minutes to Greenville(the BIG city) and two hours to the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 09:06 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,355,882 times
Yea-What Stillma said!!
In terms of land for sale-I just did a quick cursory search of the New Bern/Pamlico County multiple listing service and found 78 properties listed for sale at 5 acres and up and 92 properties in the Crystal Coast multiple listing service of the same size. These two mls's represent a 3-4 county area along coastal NC. There are 20 counties considered, "coastal"-You have a lot of options!
Bill

Old 11-20-2007, 01:44 PM

8 posts, read 20,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjohnston View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I are looking for a place that has never heard the words "lake effect snow" Personally, I would like something near the ocean. We are looking for a small town and we would need several acres of land for our 2 horses. Suggestions ?

Thanks.
Pender County NC is has some great smaller farms. Moderator cut: TOS violation solicitation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-20-2007 at 03:22 PM..

Old 11-24-2007, 07:56 AM

50 posts, read 222,773 times
Check out Brunswick county, NC. It has many coastal towns, and beats the beaches in NJ and DE hands down. I relocated there from the DC area, and never looked back. Yeah everyone talks about the hurricanes, but unless you buy beach front property anywhere, you will be fine. Flood insurance is no more expensive than home owners insurance. Moderator cut: realtor solicitation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-25-2007 at 05:52 PM..

Old 12-01-2007, 08:10 PM

144 posts, read 608,327 times
Currituck and Camden Counties are nice fairly rural areas with lots of acreages and small farms. Either one is lucky if we see six inches of snow all winter. Of course if you move here the first year we'll have a blizzard (disclaimer).
These counties are fairly rural but close enough to larger towns that you won't be completely in the boonies. Both are within 15-45mins of the beach (long thin counties in the north eastern part of NC).

Old 12-02-2007, 10:41 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,860,640 times
Now forgive me for being partial to my new home town of Beaufort/Morehead City area, but we moved here about five years ago from the west coast and we just love it.

Besides all the natural opportunities to be on the water in paddle, power or sailboats, we just love the friendliness of the people. Our circle of friends is supportive and diverse and the best we've ever known. And we knew not a soul when we moved here.

Maybe it's because this area is a well-regarded port city on the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW), but it sure gives one the opportunity to meet and befriend folks from all over.

Some towns not on this maritime highway might be somewhat more insular. Not here--just the opposite.

Of course, larger NC cities such as Charlotte, Raleigh Triangle and Greensboro Triad also feature many have come from near and far for the job opportunities.

But if it's smaller towns you seek, and you want to be by the water, meet creative and curious minds from all over, have an influx of U.S. and international folks from all ports of call, you really can't go wrong with this area known as the Crystal Coast.

I love the steady infusion of new energy and viewpoints of meeting different people--always a tale to hear, a different world view that makes life stimulating.

Beaufort, Morehead City, Newport, Bogue Banks, Swansboro, Cape Carteret--pick which town suits you best and you'll mostly likely be pleased. This area is very special, I think. It's easy to live here, there's no attitude, and I've yet to hear anyone who moved here who didn't fall in love with the area (after maybe some preliminary homesickness).

There's a lot for sale right now and prices have adjusted to a reasonable level which means good buying opportunities I would think.

Come be our neighbors!

Old 12-05-2007, 12:14 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,547,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjohnston View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I are looking for a place that has never heard the words "lake effect snow" Personally, I would like something near the ocean. We are looking for a small town and we would need several acres of land for our 2 horses. Suggestions ?
Thanks.
Hey y'all back!
I hear ya with regards to lake effect snow...it is brutal.

We are in Sampson County, about a bit more than an hour's drive from Wrightsville Beach in Wilmington. We bought 3.5 acres out here in rural farm country last year. Acreage around here will run you from $7,000 to $12,000 an acre all across the county, that is if you can find a farmer looking to sell. We are about 15 miles from Dunn (Harnett County) which is the closest city with a WalMart, Lowe's, all the major pharmacy chains and a few good restaurants. Dunn is located off I-95.

Watch out for flood plains the closer you get to the ocean and research how difficult it will be to get good well water. Be sure the land you are looking at will pass a perk test for a proper septic system, too.

You could also check out the Town of Turkey and the Town of Warsaw, both small towns with access right off I-40 which runs from Raleigh to Wilmington.

I am not a realtor but can highly recommend one in Sampson County (hope this is within the forum rules). Moderator cut: nO REALTOR LINKS, direct message the info Good luck. Hope I added something to your knowledge base.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-05-2007 at 05:27 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 04:38 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,695,583 times
Dear Mrs. Johnston,
On your quest to find horse country in NC near coast, the Wilmington area is very active with its horse groups. It is a good-sized town next to the ocean, but many smaller towns are nearby. Here are a few online sources to check out:

east of wilmington in Whiteville
The Horsemen's Association of Columbus County NC
Horsemen's Association of Columbus County NC Homepage

north of wilmington
Seagate Saddle Club of Wilmington NC
SHINGLETON FARMS

in wilmington
Therapeutic Horseback Riding
coastalriding.org

NC Azalea Festival in Wilmington
Horse Show April 2008
Welcome to the North Carolina Azalea Festival Official Website

Coastal hurricanes, like all beach towns, do come into Wilmington with some regularity, as well as the surrounding counties, so you'll trade Great Lake snows for seasonal windy, rainy weather, some flooding. Even as far east (20 miles) as Whiteville and Lake Waccamaw, damage can be fairly heavy. But I have lived near the coast, and high winds and rising water seem normal to me. Snow is unusual.

Chapel Hill, in the middle of NC, which is four hours from the beaches, also has a fairly good equestrian community, it's a smallish university town, beautiful trees, storms are rare. CH is near some larger cities and is considered to be part of the "Research Triangle Park." A little light snow occasionally falls in that area.

Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill Equestrian, LLC

Chapel Hill
Montross Training Center
Quarter Horse Training Center in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

north of Chapel Hill
UNC-Chapel Hill Equestrian Team
echocreekriding.com

I hope this helps you. Really, you can't hardly go anywhere in NC without seeing horses. I live in a big town in the mountains now, and horses ride by our house all the time, and I'm just outside the city limits. But generally speaking, anywhere in Eastern NC is good for horses, as some of the posters here have recommended.
GG

Old 12-07-2007, 06:58 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,547,444 times
nsjohnston:

"I am not a realtor but can highly recommend one in Sampson County (hope this is within the forum rules). Moderator cut: nO REALTOR LINKS, direct message the info Good luck. Hope I added something to your knowledge base."

Following the forum rules I direct messaged the realtor's website to you. Good hunting!!!

Old 12-08-2007, 09:27 PM

7 posts, read 35,447 times
Check Rocky Point, Maple Hill , Wallace area. Duplin county has very good tax rates, VERY affordable land, and is really old carolina neighbors.
I am from Cincy and have been here since 1980. The inner coast is great, the 10 mile zone IS NOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina