U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 9,389 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are looking for a place that has never heard the words "lake effect snow" Personally, I would like something near the ocean. We are looking for a small town and we would need several acres of land for our 2 horses. Suggestions ?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 01:48 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,281,919 times
I live near the coast in Pender county, it's fairly densely populated here, but just about anywhere a bit inland, west of Rt. 17, say, I think you could find acreage for your horses.

We looked at a place just outside of Hampstead 2 1/2 yrs. ago--it was 5 acres for about $120,000 with a manufactured home..just to give you an idea.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:04 PM

73 posts, read 379,517 times
Currituck County (mainland) has plenty of farm acreage that will accomodate horses. It is basically rural.
It is a short drive to the beach in Dare County (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills) or a little longer to coastal Currituck (Corolla, Carova).
Mainland Currituck County is an hour or so drive north to Norfolk/Virginia Beach.
I am leaving CT to move to coastal Currituck. I have just bought a business in Duck.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,494 times
can anyone help?? we are from a small town in ohio looking to relocate to nc around lake mattamuskeet. where would be a good place to raise a family? jobs? my husband is a construction/concrete worker pretty much a jack of all trades master of none lol! we have 3 small children looking for a good place to raise our family with low crime rate and a good school system. it doesnt neccesarily have to be near the lake we just want to be about 30 min- 1hr from the coast. thank you in advance

Old 11-11-2007, 06:06 PM

451 posts, read 1,687,747 times
Have you ever been around Lake Mattamuskeet? It is very, very rural out there. The closest "city" would probably be Greenville...but the Outer Banks is fairly close. You may want a rural area, but this area is about as sparsely populated as any in NC.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:44 PM

713 posts, read 3,472,030 times
Smile Acres are hard to find

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjohnston View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I are looking for a place that has never heard the words "lake effect snow" Personally, I would like something near the ocean. We are looking for a small town and we would need several acres of land for our 2 horses. Suggestions ?

Thanks.
There aren't a lot places with several acres in Carteret County, I know a couple with three to five acres, but we are near the ocean. We have lots of small towns. There are several farms with a fair number of horses so you might want to come for a visit and have a look around.

There was a grand total of 19 hours of below freezing temperatures during the whole month of January 2007.

You can see if you might like the area from my website Southern Outer Banks.

If you have any questions I would be glad to try to answer them.

-David Sobotta

Old 11-12-2007, 05:47 AM

2 posts, read 6,646 times
Many of the coastal counties are ideal, but as someone who may be new to living with flood threats, be sure you know what are the flood risks from hurricanes.
A good map of the area showing this.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 AM

Smile Very nice map of the area

Quote:
Originally Posted by PebbleBreeze View Post
Many of the coastal counties are ideal, but as someone who may be new to living with flood threats, be sure you know what are the flood risks from hurricanes.
A good map of the area showing this.
That's a great map of the area. I often tell folks that the high ground in Carteret County is in the west.

When we were looking for a place to live we spent a lot of time looking in the Beaufort area. We drove up into the Merrimon area and started noticing on the road there that the power transformers were on platforms and the trailers were on stilts. It didn't take long to figure that out.

Carteret County has online GIS maps that can show you flood zones. They aren't exactly the easiest to use, but you usually can figure out what you want to know with some trial and error.

The state also has flood maps, but you have to have patience in using them.

I love maps.

-David Sobotta

Old 11-12-2007, 09:33 PM

Smile Try the Cape Carteret area

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomeverchris View Post
can anyone help?? we are from a small town in ohio looking to relocate to nc around lake mattamuskeet. where would be a good place to raise a family? jobs? my husband is a construction/concrete worker pretty much a jack of all trades master of none lol! we have 3 small children looking for a good place to raise our family with low crime rate and a good school system. it doesnt neccesarily have to be near the lake we just want to be about 30 min- 1hr from the coast. thank you in advance
Not sure why you want to be 30 min- 1 hr from the coast, but you might want to consider the coast itself. The Cape Carteret and Cedar Point area fits the low crime rate and good school qualification.

You can check out the crime and other data on City-data.

Someone on another post suggested people coming to the area have a look at this map to get a good big pictures on potential flooding.

It is one of the best visualizations of potential flooding that I have seen. I would still check local flood maps.

You can visit my Southern Outer Banks site for more information and this site for pictures of the area.

There lots of construction going on in our area.

It is a great area especially if you love the water and the out of doors.

This blog gives you a quick trip through our first year in western Carteret County on the White Oak River.

The Croatan National Forest covers a lot of the area and on the shore we have Cape Lookout and the beaches of Emerald Isle.

If you have more detailed questions, I would be glad to help answer them.

-David Sobotta

Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 28,592 times
Default Raleigh area

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomeverchris View Post
Hi Tomeverchris,

I am originally from Ohio too! Have you researched/considered the Raleigh area/Triangle? We have lots of jobs, great schools, and Cary in particular has very low crime. We do have some small lakes in the area. One of the agents in our office is also a general contractor, so your husband might be able to get some work through him. It takes 2-3 hours from here to get to the coast, depending on which beach you are headed to. I'd be happy to chat with you all about the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina