U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 09:19 AM

46 posts, read 102,881 times

Advertisements

We are empty nesters preparing for retirement. We are a bit confused on the demographics of Porters Neck Plantation. They appear to be marketing to young families with children. We would appreciate if anyone could provide a estimate % share of empty nester types to younger families in this development.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 09:39 AM

11,255 posts, read 19,786,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke12 View Post
We are empty nesters preparing for retirement. We are a bit confused on the demographics of Porters Neck Plantation. They appear to be marketing to young families with children. We would appreciate if anyone could provide a estimate % share of empty nester types to younger families in this development.
There are some other developments using the name "Porter's Neck". However the main page of the "Porters Neck Plantation" has this statement: "Founded in 1989, Porters Neck Plantation is a well-established community ideally suited for retirement that offers a private yet vibrant and active lifestyle to all residents."

In other words, they are not age-restricted. However, given the price of homes, I don't think that many young families can afford it. However, I have never been in the development to count heads.

Where did you see that they appear to be marketing to young families?

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-10-2013 at 09:52 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM

46 posts, read 102,881 times
Default Wilmington NC - Porters Neck Plantation

Thanks for the insight. Very helpful. I was reviewing porters-neck.com and came across the Family Programs under the Community tab. When I saw the Jr. Golf , Tennis , Swim Team , After School Programs , July 4 bike parade , etc., it made me wonder which is why I asked. Looks like a lot of fun things going on.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,964,256 times
Quote:
Thanks for the insight. Very helpful. I was reviewing porters-neck.com and came across the Family Programs under the Community tab. When I saw the Jr. Golf , Tennis , Swim Team , After School Programs , July 4 bike parade , etc., it made me wonder which is why I asked. Looks like a lot of fun things going on.
Probably for Grandchildren....

Old 03-31-2014, 06:57 PM

15 posts, read 26,624 times
Quote:

Thanks
Most of the gated communities have an older population that do their own thing activities geared for the older crowd etc. Then they have the younger families working professionals. Its nice to have a mix! Have you looked at Landfall. That is a nice community.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 1,659 times
We've been exploring LandFall, Porter's Neck and Compass Pointe - would greatly appreciate anyone's insight. Landfall seems to cater to a bit of a snobbish clientele, has what appears to be very high and ultra-strict HOA fees, catering to what appears to be a "stuffy" group of residents. Would also love to hear about flood insurance and property taxes for the various developments. We play a lot of tennis and golf and are interested in hearing about membership Fees. Landfall seems awfully expensive in that regard as well.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may share!

Old 03-17-2017, 09:31 PM

109 posts, read 101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick slifka View Post
We've been exploring LandFall, Porter's Neck and Compass Pointe - would greatly appreciate anyone's insight. Landfall seems to cater to a bit of a snobbish clientele, has what appears to be very high and ultra-strict HOA fees, catering to what appears to be a "stuffy" group of residents. Would also love to hear about flood insurance and property taxes for the various developments. We play a lot of tennis and golf and are interested in hearing about membership Fees. Landfall seems awfully expensive in that regard as well.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may share!
Hi...we looked at both Landfall and Compass Pointe as places to retire. We thought Landfall was very nice....nice ammeneties (golf), great location, did not find the people stuffy, but yes, was expensive. If you have the resources, I think it would be a wonderful place to retire. Compass Pointe is also nice, though I would say it is not, nor does it pretend to be, as upscale as Landfall. Certainly less expensive both in terms of the real estate and taxes. The recently opened their golf course and it is a very enjoyable track. Again, not as manicured as Landfall but nice nonetheless. Also far less expensive to join as a member. To me the location is less desirable than Landfall, but sort of depends on what you want. We preferred Brunswick Forest more than Compass Pointe...I do like their course very much, you should check it out. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or