U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 22,085 times

Advertisements

I am transferring to Camp Lejeune, NC and would like some advice on where to live. I am currently looking at the areas of Sneads Ferry and Holly Ridge on the south side of Camp Lejeune. I will be working in the main area of Camp Lejeune and plan on using the south gate at Sneads Ferry to get on base. I am a single guy in my mid 30's and think these areas would be better to be able to go to Wilmington for shopping, nightlife and good restaurants. I also understand the commute would be easier since there is less traffic at that gate. Any advise is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 07:06 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytaz66 View Post
I am transferring to Camp Lejeune, NC and would like some advice on where to live. I am currently looking at the areas of Sneads Ferry and Holly Ridge on the south side of Camp Lejeune.
There are a couple of new luxury apartment buildings in Sneads Ferry. One is the Quarters at Stones Bay, the other is Stillwater at Southbridge. The second place is still running specials, I believe, and it is closest to the back gate off Highway172. Stillwater also has a Facebook page and they have social events which look like a fun way to meet people.

Otherwise there are numerous houses for rent at militarybyowner.com . There also several houses in my neighborhood in Mimosa Bay which are shared by groups of military people.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-11-2013 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 04:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
As a single guy in your thirties, look a little further south to Topsail/Surf City. Also use the AHRN.com site.

You can easily afford a place right on the beach. I know a guy stationed over in Stone BAy with a nice bachelor pad (complete with pool table and arcade machines) for pretty cheap out that way. It'll take you about thirty minutes to base, chances are the longest part of your commute may still be when you get on base, depending on where you work.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:06 PM

102 posts, read 218,614 times
Be prepared to pay through the nose for ANY decent rental properties in and around Camp Lejeune. The landlords around the base all track the BAS/BAH rates for the Marines, and gouge everyone accordingly. Even if you are not a Marine, you will still be expected to pay the same ridiculous rate. In mid-2011, right before I left there, I was paying $915 for a decent 1 BR apartment in Jacksonville. You will probably pay close to the same rate in Sneads Ferry. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 22,085 times
All, thanks for the info. I am now trying to figure out how long it will take to drive on base from the Sneads ferry gate to the area of Halcomb Blvd and Thomas J McHugh Blvd on base. I am trying to cut down on my daily commute. It sounds like Sneads Ferry will be my best bet for shorter commute, close to surf city and wilmington.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:00 PM

Message me your unit and I can give you better advice. i have a couple of guys at mine who used to work in the warehouse area. Moved to a unit close to the traffic circle at McHugh and Holcomb and it added thirty minutes to their morning commute. I know some work arounds though.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 10,238 times
My wife and I are PCS'in' to Camp Lejeune this summer, and it's important to her for me to get us a place w/ in walking distance, if not on, the beach -- any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. We're from New York, so very little baseline knowledge of the area. Thank you!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wautersr View Post
My wife and I are PCS'in' to Camp Lejeune this summer, and it's important to her for me to get us a place w/ in walking distance, if not on, the beach -- any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. We're from New York, so very little baseline knowledge of the area. Thank you!
Camp Lejeune basically owns the entire beach in Onslow County, so unless you are living out of an RV or permanently renting one of the bunglaows down on Onslow Beach, walking distance is not an option. Thoughthere are homes with river, creek, and bay access in Jacksonville. You closest options that I know of would be Sneads Ferry. And there may be homes with ocean access at Hammocks Beach in Swansboro, though I've personally never used the beach access there to know if homes are available. There are some that live on Emerald Isle, which could be a bit of a commute, but no worse than much of the area beyond Sneads Ferry (North Topsail, Surf City, Topsail) which are options as well.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:24 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wautersr View Post
We can't list specific real estate web sites on this forum. However if you Google "long term rentals Topsail Beach", several real estate firms turn up. Sample listings include one-bedroom places at Topsail Dunes for $875/month and Topsail Reef at $775/month. These are both in large condo buildings. Two bedroom places run $900-1000/month.

Since there is a lot of seasonal renting by the week in the summer, you can't expect cheap rates if you want to be on the beach. Most also specify "no smoking and no pets".

The major disadvantage to being on the beach will be the distance from the conveniences. There are no stores on North Topsail, and very few expensive stores in Surf City. You will need to drive the car to Sneads Ferry or Surf City for groceries and other supplies, and that's 3-6 miles.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:42 PM

11,262 posts, read 8,417,691 times
Why is there an area with the word "alligator" in the name? Would I have to worry about my pets becoming lunch for one of those evil creatures?

Is there an area convenient to Lejeune with some small acreage available? Thinking about building. Probably around 4 acres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina