U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 07:32 PM

5,438 posts, read 10,519,020 times

Advertisements

Our family was possibly interested in renting a oceanfront house on Emerald Isle the last week of April 2008. We were interested in the weather that time of the year and the ocean water temp. Is there tennis available on the island. I was thinking its to cold for any swimming related activities, but we are used to swimming in the ocean when the water temp. is in the 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,355,882 times
Jersey Man,
The weather can be somewhat tricky in April. Wouldn't surprise me to have a week of 80 degree weather and it wouldn't surprise me to have a week of 50 degree weather.
Beach water temperatures tend to make a big jump in April. It is not uncommon to see a rise of 5-7 degrees in as many days.
As far as tennis goes-Yes! The EI Parks and Rec. Dept. has tennis available as well as many other things: Click Here
Here's more info on tennis with water access added: Click Here

Old 11-09-2007, 12:31 PM

A pictures worth a thousand words!! Below is satelite imagery of sea surface temperatures of the Crystal Coast and surrounding areas. As the dates show, these images were taken 5 days apart. As the imagery shows-The diference in water temps. is quite substantial.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:33 PM

5,438 posts, read 10,519,020 times
Thanks Bill, The map kind of shows what your talking about. It looks like the temp. of the water went from about 60 to about 70 in close to a week.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:04 PM

Amazing isn't it?? It happens every year. We just don't know exactly when-But always in April!!
You didn't make mention about fishing-But surfishing for fish like red fish (drum) and yummy sea mullet (Virginia mullet, whiting, kingfish) is fantastic in April.
Here's a drum I caught & released on a April 23 a couple years back from Bogue Inlet Pier which is in the heart of Emerald Isle. I was fishing right behind the breakers-No more than 30-40 feet from the beach and was able to see schools of these drum swimming under me from the pier.
Let me know if I can be of further assistance!
Bill

Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 AM

I was at the Bogue Inlet Pier yesterday (Nov.13) and drum the size like in the picture above were being caught consistently the entire time I was there.
But not by me!!
Bill

Old 11-14-2007, 05:43 AM

713 posts, read 3,471,718 times
Smile We had friends down that week last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Our family was possibly interested in renting a oceanfront house on Emerald Isle the last week of April 2008. We were interested in the weather that time of the year and the ocean water temp. Is there tennis available on the island. I was thinking its to cold for any swimming related activities, but we are used to swimming in the ocean when the water temp. is in the 60's.
We had some friends from Boston come down that week last year. I wrote about it in this post on my Coastal Carolina Blog.

They snow in Boston, almost froze to death in Chincoteague and on the northern Outer Banks, but hit the jackpot when they got to the Crystal Coast.

As Bill said a picture is worth a thousand words. Here they are standing in the water that last week of April at the Third Street Beach on Emerald Isle.

If you are looking for more information about Emerald Isle activities, I have written an Emerald Isle travel guide that talks about a lot of the activities available.

Almost all the restaurants stay open the year around, but even the couple that aren't open the whole year are usually open by the end of April.

You can check out my restaurant site for more info on eating out.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to call.

-David Sobotta

PS- Our strawberries were ripe by the middle of April last year so it is a great way to taste spring.

Last edited by dsobotta; 11-14-2007 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: Left out a link

Old 08-18-2009, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,230 times
I am planning on moving back to the coast before fall. I currently live in Falling Waters, West Virginia and own a paving business. We are looking for a house to rent. "We" is me, my girlfriend, my other girlfriend, and my friend David. We are all....childless, mature, hard working, CLEAN, responsible renters. We are proud to give you our current landlord's number upon request. We also have two purebred German Shepherd females. They are not large(60 lbs), very well trained, housebroken 100%, and non aggressive. They are the neighborhood kids constant companions. You can contact our neighbors also!! We are looking for....a 3 bedroom 2 bath house or nice mobile home....close to the beach....in the country....quiet......but still close to shopping. Something like that. $700.00 or less. I own Junior's Asphalt...Beth is a restaraunt manager...Anita works for me in the paving business...and David is a steelworker. We are all on the road at some point during the year so we like to pay our rent in advance so we have our little nest to fly home to. My e-mail is rainkingdaddy@yahoo.com. Thank you for your time. Rick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina