U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 09:09 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,693,137 times

Advertisements

We have been planning a trip to the beach including a visit to the Battleship. I threw out my back last week and have been working with a chiropractor to get it better. I'm feeling better but it is still very sensitive...I can't bend over or lift anything heavy. I'm young (38) and otherwise healthy. Should I buy a ticket to the battleship? Is there a lot of bending and/or climbing involved Or is there someplace I can comfortably wait for my husband and kids to see it without me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 AM

196 posts, read 500,430 times
There are ladders within the North Carolina that might be a challenge for you. However there are areas above deck that can be seen. Or you might simply enjoy spending more time inside the museum. Here is a YouTube clip that might help you decide
NC battleship climbing down ladders - YouTube

I've visited a couple of the Fast Battleships that are now museums and the North Carolina has more access to the inside of the ship than any of the others I've visited.

Last edited by wrestlingterp; 07-14-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 07-14-2013, 09:50 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,693,137 times
THanks for the information. I went ahead and called them. They said they can charge me half price and I can see the half that doesn't have lots of climbing. :-) I think you have to call ahead for that, though, if anyone else is wondering in the future.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,359,858 times
Its a good question...I tell folks from out of town all the time that the Battleship is not for the elderly or pre-school kids.

And when you think about it, why should it be? It is an ACTUAL battleship, not some sort of handicap, kid friendly re-enactment.

The half price thing seems reasonable, because there is a lot of history to learn about in the main building and a ramp to the main deck. Again, for pre-school kids, they don't really care about it that much. I'd recommend folks with pre-schoolers just take the water taxi to Battleship Park (kids love boat rides) and then let them run around in the grass for an inexpensive few hours.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:07 AM

291 posts, read 671,730 times
I used to have days where it would take me ten minutes to get out bed and it would take my breath away, so I can relate. I am a little younger than you. I went to chiropractor and the pain would eventually go away. I finally through trial and error found what worked for me, and I hope it helps you. If I knew I was going to have back pain or I threw it out, I would take an anti-inflammatory. Second, and most important I would ice it down for as long as possible and then I would ice it down more. Now, instead of being down for a week or two, I can prevent 95% of the pain and stiffness. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina