Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times

Advertisements

I've just noticed an area that has attributes many people are looking for. Lincoln Forest is just south of Oleander Drive, adjacent to Independence Mall. What interested me is that you can walk 1/3 mile to the Whole Foods without crossing the major street, and you are 1/2 mile from a Harris Teeter grocery. You are also close to doctors and the NHRMC. Hugh McRae Park and the municipal golf course are a mile or two down Oleander.

For families, the elementary school, Alderman, isn't the highest rated, but it is in walking distance. Roland-Grise Middle and Hoggard High are also within walking distance.

The houses are nothing special, as they are 1960's ranches with large, level lots. One listing at $239K with a vegetable garden, fruit trees and a compost bin would be suitable for organic living. Another poster said you are allowed to keep chickens in the city limits of Wilmington. Other houses are available in the $170-180K range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 10:07 AM

3,080 posts, read 4,851,029 times
Lived in Lincoln Forest before...it is a nice older neighborhood with good residents. The location is ideal and you forgot to mention that it is walking distance to Flaming Amy's.

The biggest issue with Lincoln Forest is that the houses, for the most part, are not very big, which has kept families (4 or more) from moving in. A 3 BR house of 1600 sq ft for 4 people is crowded these days. Its a perfect starter neighborhood or downsize neighborhood.

Alderman Elem has a stigma right now...it should be one of the best schools in the County, however, it is still to recover from the old 2000 redistricting plan that had inner city Elem students bused to other areas. Because Alderman is so small, it had a drastic impact on the school...and the parents from the South Oleander area (basically Forest Hills) pulled their kids out and sent them to private school. Even though the district changed back to neighborhood schools a few years back, Alderman hasn't seen the recovery because parents are still sending them to private.

One other thing you left out was that LF is essentially on the cross city trail (next to Alderman) with access to both Halyburton and Empie Parks. The location is ideal and the lots are a pretty good size. The new Plant Garden is also behind LF where natural venus flytraps grow.

Alderman Park in bloom > City of Wilmington, North Carolina

Old 07-15-2013, 10:29 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Even though the district changed back to neighborhood schools a few years back, Alderman hasn't seen the recovery because parents are still sending them to private.
Thanks for the additional information. I was thinking that Lincoln Forest would be fine for parents who home-school or have older kids.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:41 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I've just noticed an area that has attributes many people are looking for. Lincoln Forest is just south of Oleander Drive, adjacent to Independence Mall. What interested me is that you can walk 1/3 mile to the Whole Foods without crossing the major street, and you are 1/2 mile from a Harris Teeter grocery. You are also close to doctors and the NHRMC. Hugh McRae Park and the municipal golf course are a mile or two down Oleander.

For families, the elementary school, Alderman, isn't the highest rated, but it is in walking distance. Roland-Grise Middle and Hoggard High are also within walking distance.

The houses are nothing special, as they are 1960's ranches with large, level lots. One listing at $239K with a vegetable garden, fruit trees and a compost bin would be suitable for organic living. Another poster said you are allowed to keep chickens in the city limits of Wilmington. Other houses are available in the $170-180K range.
i've given up on the home search, but back when i was looking, that was one of the neighborhoods i kept my eye on.

the price history for some of these is pretty nutty ....

one of those $250k'ers, for example, sold for $127k in 2002, just 10 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The biggest issue with Lincoln Forest is that the houses, for the most part, are not very big, which has kept families (4 or more) from moving in. A 3 BR house of 1600 sq ft for 4 people is crowded these days. Its a perfect starter neighborhood or downsize neighborhood.
You're right that homes over there aren't huge, but 1600sqft is on the smaller side for Lincoln Forest. I'd say at least half of the homes have over 2000sqft.

Last edited by le roi; 07-15-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina