U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 03:09 PM

31 posts, read 57,150 times

Advertisements

I've spoken to a couple of people from Wilmington, one says Ogden is a great area, the other says to stay away. Can I get some opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 03:33 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
What reasons did the people you spoke with give the answers they gave? Ogden runs right into Mayfaire. Ogden proper is right on the outskirts of Wilmington. It basically is Wilmington. Not in the thick of it, but very close to it. It's surrounded by more upscale areas, I wonder if the one who said nay looked down on it for that reason. That, or traffic when coming onto Market or Military Cutoff would be the only reasons I could think of not to recommend it.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:36 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
There is nothing wrong with Ogden.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
Too me the area is a steal. less expesive than the alternatives withou worrying about a HOA and still easy access to Mayfaire Town Center and straight down Military Cutoff/Oleander for anything else you'd want.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:16 PM

15 posts, read 17,229 times
How is crime in this area? I am doing some research for my relocation from NY. I'd work in Wilmington. I am looking for acerage, preferrably for horse property, with or without a house. How are taxes here? Friendly people, I hope?

Old 05-13-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDude109 View Post
How is crime in this area? I am doing some research for my relocation from NY. I'd work in Wilmington. I am looking for acerage, preferrably for horse property, with or without a house. How are taxes here? Friendly people, I hope?
First of all, Ogden is probably too densely populated for a horse property. If you need acreage for horses, you could look at the Whitebridge development in Hampstead. They are still selling 2-5 acre lots and sometimes houses are available. Here's a website about Whitebridge: Whitebridge in Hampstead

One other place where I have seen numerous horse properties is north of Wilmington, particularly along Highway 210 in Rocky Point. Then I have also seen a lot of farmland in the Maple Hill area.

Property taxes are not bad compared to where you are coming from. You would likely be looking in Pender County. The base rate is .512 per thousand, with various add-ons for trash collection, EMS and police in the incorporated towns.

However, if you did end up living in Ogden, that is New Hanover County. Crime is really not bad and property taxes are typically higher than in Pender County. Here's one set of tables for local tax rates: http://scotthaynesre.com/2013-proper...orth-carolina/

Old 05-13-2015, 06:46 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,807,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
First of all, Ogden is probably too densely populated for a horse property. If you need acreage for horses, you could look at the Whitebridge development in Hampstead. They are still selling 2-5 acre lots and sometimes houses are available. Here's a website about Whitebridge: Whitebridge in Hampstead

One other place where I have seen numerous horse properties is north of Wilmington, particularly along Highway 210 in Rocky Point. Then I have also seen a lot of farmland in the Maple Hill area.

Property taxes are not bad compared to where you are coming from. You would likely be looking in Pender County. The base rate is .512 per thousand, with various add-ons for trash collection, EMS and police in the incorporated towns.

However, if you did end up living in Ogden, that is New Hanover County. Crime is really not bad and property taxes are typically higher than in Pender County. Here's one set of tables for local tax rates: 2013 Property Tax Rates for New Hanover, Brunswick, Pender Counties-North Carolina | Scott Haynes REALTOR
Its per $100 of valuation.

For a $100,000 house, the computation is 100,000 x .512 divided by 100 = $512 tax bill

Old 05-15-2015, 07:50 AM

19 posts, read 18,896 times
I have lived in Ogden for the past 7 years and really enjoyed it. The elementary school is top notch. It lies just outside the city limits so no city tax. Mayfaire has higher end stores. It is close to Wrightsville Beach (10 minute ride). The only concern I have is the Market St./Military Cutoff corridor is a bit congested. Within the next 5 years, Military Cutoff will extend to I-40 to divert some traffic off Market. Middle Sound Loop Rd does have some horse properties but I do agree that Hampstead would have more acreage. Crime is relatively low here compared to downtown. My property taxes have never increased the 7 years I've been here ($1500/yr). Hope this info helps!

Old 05-15-2015, 05:28 PM

15 posts, read 17,229 times
moma1031,

Thank you for your feedback! Is hampstead in the area where I would have to pay city taxes as well?

Old 05-15-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDude109 View Post
Is hampstead in the area where I would have to pay city taxes as well?
No, Hampstead is not a incorporated town, just a part of Pender County. The table on this page wll show you that Hampstead has a small Fire District tax added to the general county mil rate of .512. Burgaw, Surf City, Topsail Beach, etc have town taxes added on. Pender County, NC : Tax Rates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina