U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:47 AM

196 posts, read 500,504 times

Advertisements

On the other hand I LOVE sitting on the beach and watching the HH-53s, C-22s, Apaches, F-18s, etc., flying along the coast. Then again I'm a Veteran so they touch a soft spot!

Keep in mind that Topsail Island is 26 miles long, so Topsail Beach (at the southern end) is pretty far from Camp LeJeune.

Lots of threads and info on this forum regarding schools and the like that you may want to take a look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 10:08 PM

9 posts, read 16,905 times
My 14 yr old would LoVE that.... he is all about aviation! ! Thanks for more good advice. Gonna start reading some threads.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:39 AM

1,958 posts, read 2,635,665 times
Carolina Beach has a huge population of year round citizens. It is not just a summer destination so
don't believe an earlier poster who claimed that.
It has very active sports organizations , a skate park, a elementary school
and much more of a town feeling than Topsail. Not wanting to offend anybody but have never understood the
lure of the Topsail area.
Carolina Beach also has many different churches , state park , gym and of course the beach can be reached by
foot or bicycle any time. A Montessori school is getting off the ground and many fun events are
held year round .

Old 07-25-2013, 06:57 AM

9 posts, read 16,905 times
Thankyou movedtothecoast..... my boys play football, baseball, & basketball. My niece loves volleyball. I can work just about anywhere, but the hubby is a desiel mechanic.
Any ideas about how far he would have to commute for a job if we lived in carolina beach.
Also, what's the cost of vehicle licencing? Or a website? Is there a cut off age for my4 yr old for kindergarten? Here u must be 5 by july 15 or have them tested to start!
Thanks again everyone!!! Looking forward to the move!!

Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 AM

1,958 posts, read 2,635,665 times
well the commute would depend on where he would work
in Wilmington, could be anywhere from 20 minutes to 30.

find everything about vehicles at NCDMV
www.ncdot.gov/dmv/

Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 AM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
well the commute would depend on where he would work
in Wilmington, could be anywhere from 20 minutes to 30.
[/url]
Unless he can find a local job working on diesel autos in Carolina Beach, he will be going to Wilmington or further north. There are fleets of trucks around the Port of Wilmington and around I-140 north of Wilmington. The most diesel truck traffic in the area is probably related to the Riegelwood lumber plant, located way north-west of Wilmington.

IMHO, Carolina Beach is not especially convenient for the husband's prospective job. The I-140 area is about 22 miles or 30 minutes.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Fan View Post
Is there a cut off age for my4 yr old for kindergarten? Here u must be 5 by july 15 or have them tested to start!
Fron the New Hanover School system: "Children to be registered must be five years of age on or before August 31, 2013".

Student Support Services - Kindergarten Registration

Old 07-25-2013, 09:11 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Unless he can find a local job working on diesel autos in Carolina Beach, he will be going to Wilmington or further north. There are fleets of trucks around the Port of Wilmington and around I-140 north of Wilmington. The most diesel truck traffic in the area is probably related to the Riegelwood lumber plant, located way north-west of Wilmington.

IMHO, Carolina Beach is not especially convenient for the husband's prospective job. The I-140 area is about 22 miles or 30 minutes.
I agree with GA here...the industrial area of Wilmington is on its north side, and its a haul from Carolina Beach to get there. For example the mechanic I use is on Castle Hayne Rd just past the airport...that's at least 40 minutes through town (about 30 or so lights) from Carolina Beach in the summer.

You may consider not moving to the Island, but a little further north maybe toward Monkey Junction (Mrytle Grove) which still gives you easy access to Carolina Beach (10-15 minutes)...plus it can be more affordable.

Look at this zoning map for New Hanover County which may help...

http://www.nhcgov.com/PlanInspect/Do...n_12-27-12.pdf

It takes a few minutes to download...but the grays and purples are industrial, the tan/brown shades are residential...and the City doesn't have a lot of industrial type stuff in it outside of the Port.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
For example the mechanic I use is on Castle Hayne Rd just past the airport...that's at least 40 minutes through town (about 30 or so lights) from Carolina Beach in the summer.

You may consider not moving to the Island, but a little further north maybe toward Monkey Junction (Mrytle Grove) which still gives you easy access to Carolina Beach (10-15 minutes)...plus it can be more affordable.
I agree with HP91. If you look at Google Maps around Castle Hayne, I-140 and Highway 421, there are about a dozen trucking companies which might employ mechanics. For example, Blackburns Hauling, Hilco Transport, Moore Transportation, etc. Of course, I have no idea whether they are hiring.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:09 PM

7 posts, read 6,436 times
No BTDT experience to offer as we have only been here for 3.5 weeks.

I just wanted to add info in regards to your niece's and children's registrations for their various schools. In regards to your niece, have her apply to CFCC ASAP. The registration process can be VERY long. I moved from NY State, which has very high standards across the board for everything, and CFCC took 3 out of my potential 32 credits for essentially the same program. I also had to take placement testing for Math despite my earning a 4.0 in a comparable Math class in NYS just this past Spring semester (they do not take any Math courses taken outside of NC). This slowed down the application process since I HAD to take the placement testing HERE and not at a remote testing center, in the hopes of expediting my application. Sorry...long explanation for "Make sure she applies to CFCC ASAP. And be prepared for the transfer credits." They are also already registering for Fall semester...she will want to get accepted soon so she has a shot at getting into her preferred courses.

In regards to your children and registering for NHCSD schools, look at the list of required documentation and make sure that you HAVE everything BEFORE YOU LEAVE NEBRASKA. They require a Certified Birth Certificate with a RAISED SEAL. One of my children is fine as he was born in a state that issues this raised seal certificate. My other 2 children were born in a state that does NOT automatically issue certificates with these RAISED SEALS and it is going to take several weeks for these ordered certificates to arrive by mail...and it costs a lot. Would have been a lot cheaper if we could just walk into an office and request them...not an option.

We live in the Masonboro Loop area. Our location is VERY central...we are 20 minutes to CFCC, 25 min to Ft Fisher, in great school zoning, and we are in a community that has a community boat ramp, so we can launch kayaks anytime. So...there are lots of areas where you can get some kind of water access...and we are in between both beach areas. Easy peasy.

Good luck with the relocation...fingers crossed that your long distance movers are GREAT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or