U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 03:24 PM

9 posts, read 16,865 times

Advertisements

Hi all. We have vacationed in cb NC a couple times n love the area. We would love to make it our permanent home. My husba d is a diesel mechanic. Myself a hairstylist but looking for something different. We have 3 boys ages 16, 14, and4 also a niece19. We have looked at schools (Ashley High and Carolina beach elementry)and real estate. So know about where we want to be. We r moving from Nebraska. However we would appreciate any feed back on jobs,college for niece (started 1 yr. Already for teaching). Or anything one might want to be aware of forCBNC area. All feed back welcome positive and negative. Also looking to rent home until we r in the area, then hope to purchase home. Very excited family that's ready to move!! we have also been to topsail, wrightville beach and surf city. Husband loves surf city. Looking forward to responses!!
Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 08:17 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Fan View Post
We r moving from Nebraska. However we would appreciate any feed back on jobs,college for niece
There appear to be many job listings for diesel mechanics on indeed.com . Further, I know there is turnover in the hairdressing field, so something should turn up. I just hope you have about six months of savings to support your family. before you move.

Regarding the college student, she will have to live in NC for one year before she is eligible for in-state tuition rates at UNCW . However, she could probably work and get college credits at the community college.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:03 AM

978 posts, read 1,620,176 times
Just my personal opinion, but Carolina Beach isn't really a place where a lot of people "live" per se. It's mostly vacation homes/condos that are rented out during the summer. However, I'm sure people do live there year round.

Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach will be much better places for living year round as there is more to do. Instead of having tourist neighbors, you may actually have year round neighbors.

As far as college, the only major university in the area is UNC-Wilmington. It's a good school, but mostly seems to focus on science and humanities.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:33 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Regarding the college student, she will have to live in NC for one year before she is eligible for in-state tuition rates at UNCW . However, she could probably work and get college credits at the community college.
Let me clarify this statement about the community college. Cape Fear Community College is a good large school with many career-oriented courses. You niece will be charged out-of-state rates at the community college also unless she has lived in the state for a year, and does not receive support from her parents. The state laws apply to all schools, but here is a readable summary from NCCU: Residency for Tuition Purposes

Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 AM

6 posts, read 22,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Just my personal opinion, but Carolina Beach isn't really a place where a lot of people "live" per se. It's mostly vacation homes/condos that are rented out during the summer. However, I'm sure people do live there year round.

Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach will be much better places for living year round as there is more to do. Instead of having tourist neighbors, you may actually have year round neighbors.

As far as college, the only major university in the area is UNC-Wilmington. It's a good school, but mostly seems to focus on science and humanities.

actually there are a LOT of full time residents here in carolina beach.

far as your insight into which beach they should live, id say it depends on what kinda person you are, carolina beach, down to earth take it easy kinda place, wrightsville, not so much. i did also like topsail, seem like a nice place with friendly people.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:09 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,354,053 times
Yeah, Carolina Beach is getting more and more full of full time folks every year. Lots of singles are going down there because its affordable and fun.

For schools you'll be fine, although Carolina Beach Elem is really ONLY for those on the Island or along Snow's Cut or the River (like Shipwatch neighborhood). CB is considered by locals to be better than Anderson, but Anderson is really not bad.

UNCW is a good school, but to be honest Cape Fear Comm College has as good a set-up as any Comm College in NC and should be considered as a starting point. I'm planning on my kids leaving town for college because I think many that go to school in Wilmington from Wilmington tend to not study as hard from all the distractions Wilmington brings.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:59 PM

196 posts, read 499,915 times
My opinion, based on looking at locations a couple of years ago, is that Wrightsville Beach is perhaps the most expensive beach location as far as home buying goes. Not including Figure 8 since most of us are mere mortals. Take some time and look at the various locations.

The real estate market appears to be rebounding but there are probably still good guys to be had at places like Carolina Beach along with Topsail Island.

We're moving to Topsail Beach (southern end of the island) but that works well for us as retirees who plan to work part time.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:06 PM

978 posts, read 1,620,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod682000 View Post
actually there are a LOT of full time residents here in carolina beach.

far as your insight into which beach they should live, id say it depends on what kinda person you are, carolina beach, down to earth take it easy kinda place, wrightsville, not so much. i did also like topsail, seem like a nice place with friendly people.
That's good to hear. I used to go to Carolina Beach a lot when I was little. The last time I went (a few years ago) I was in shock. All of the dumpy beach houses I remember have been torn down and replaced with expensive homes.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Hoping to have jobs before the move. My niece is not supported by parents. Thats why she is with us. We did have a few housing areas we liked that were between wilmington and carolina beach. Also we were just out last June. Its a big move and all of us are looking forward to it. I just want to be as prepared as possible. Trying to get out before school starts. I appreciate all the web sites for jobs, schools, etc. That helps a lot too. If I am sounding to unrealistic..... please feel free to open my eyes to a reality check. We just hoped to be a bit closer to the water!!!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:08 PM

Also, we are a very outdoorsy family if u will. All kids are very athletic and enjoy the outdoors as do hubby and I. We found Topsail extremely clean and friendly, however Carolina Beach was both as well. I like the fact Carolina Beach is down the coast further. Not so close to all the military stuff. .. no offense just live close to military base here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or