U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 12:14 PM

213 posts, read 208,102 times

Advertisements

In general where is it easier to find a job between these 2 cities? Husband is an optometrist & I am in medical administration & coding. Thanks in advance.

Also does one of these cities trump the other as far as quality of life? I have lived near New Bern before but it has been 10years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 02:13 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,820,411 times
Wilmington beats New Bern with a higher quality of life, but that comes with a higher cost of living of course. Medical jobs are in demand in both areas. Still no way to say which is easier. It's whichever you find a job at first.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:15 PM

50 posts, read 95,707 times
Wilmington for sure. Higher quality of life, and much larger than New Bern.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:26 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,651,119 times
Wilmington hands down.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:54 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,746,889 times
What do you mean by quality of life? Clearly employment wins in Wilmington, not sure quality of life is quite the slam dunk implied by some prior posters. New Bern wins on traffic, likely commute times, being a part of the city..

Wilmington has more big box stores (yawn) and a lot more people. Whatever floats your boat. Lack of A four year college is a major shortfall of New Bern.

Good luck.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:18 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,820,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
What do you mean by quality of life? Clearly employment wins in Wilmington, not sure quality of life is quite the slam dunk implied by some prior posters. New Bern wins on traffic, likely commute times, being a part of the city..

Wilmington has more big box stores (yawn) and a lot more people. Whatever floats your boat. Lack of A four year college is a major shortfall of New Bern.

Good luck.
There are more local stores as well in Wilmington, it has a better downtown, it's closer to the beach,it has a better arts community. Not sure what you're speaking of, as far as being part of a city. It has that as well. Heck, it's a place many people get around just on bikes. Whatever New Bern has, Wilimgton has more of (and that does include traffic). That said New Bern is not bad, it's just Wilmington is better in comparison. Unless you are of the less is more mentality, which is fine. I currently live almost equidistant between Wilmington and New Bern along 17, in fact Wilmington is about 15 minutes farther. I still find myself going to south more than north and it's not for the big box stores (usually it's for Casey's ).

Old 07-28-2013, 05:08 PM
LLN

Well, we just have to disagree on quality of life. I used to live there. The traffic in the College Road area, where back in the day where the cool stuff was located is ridiculous for a berg the size of Wilmington. Additionally we used to ride through a near ghetto getting their. I guess I dont think good shopping isnt what defines quality of life. To me, less hassles, less stress equals higher quality of life. Depends on your perspective.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

Good luck.
LLN : we are family with a 13 yr old girl and 10 yr old
boy what is your opinion of moving to new bern or wilmington?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:29 PM

51 posts, read 71,109 times
I have visited both and as a outsider I will give my opinion. I loved Wilmington for the beach and the restaurant on it that being said I saw a problem with the downtown area and if I'm not mistaken there are gangs there. New bern has its poorer areas when I was there trent wood were low income area. I'm not sure of the medical care but I do know the hospital in Wilmington I think is sub standard and I come from a major medical center in ny so that could be why not sure of new Bern health care if someone can say anything I'd be interested

Old 04-22-2014, 04:22 PM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachluver View Post
LLN : we are family with a 13 yr old girl and 10 yr old
boy what is your opinion of moving to new bern or wilmington?
Well, bad timing. I am REALLY DOWN on New Bern government at the moment and the electorate in general. Wilmington certainly has more choices, in practically every category, but to me, and others on the forum disagree, more choices is not necessarily better.

I believe for my lifestyle, the best I could find in NB would beat the best I could find in Wilmington.

New Bern is 45 - 50 minutes to the beach, Wilmington is not a walk, but most areas, possiblly traffic excepted, would get your there much sooner.

The beach you get to from Wilmington blows away the beaches down near Wilmington, again, my opinion based on appearance of water.

New Bern's hospital is pretty good, though I did get a major infection there. Anyone with anything serious goes to the ECU hospital (it has a new name) which is top notch.

Both are a couple hours from Raleigh.

If I could do it again, I would move to Morehead City rather than either New Bern or Wilmington.

I had a choice when we moved down here. I chose New Bern, and if I did it again, I would probably do the same.

Schools are a little spread out, and the district is really all but eliminating out of district students so some education options we once had are now gone.

If shopping is important, Wilmington, if you want to slow down a bit and be part of a small town, then New Bern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina