U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 AM
ESN

27 posts, read 61,876 times

Advertisements

Stonecreek is absolutely correct. The police are doing what we pay them to do. And HP91 is also spot on.... I don't believe Wrightsville is the place for Liberal Sue...
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 10:55 AM

196 posts, read 499,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Was on the beach at Wrightsville with a bunch of locals recently and witnessed a family (with very small children) get a citation for drinking on the beach. We were also drinking on the beach, but had the sense to pour it into cups..
Bingo! Pour it in a cup, put a koozie on it, or something so that you aren't flaunting it. The police aren't likely to ask you what's in the cup, unless you are under age.

As for the cigarettes, nothing worse than sitting on the beach inhaling someone's cigarette smoke. And invariably the smoker treats the beach like an ashtray.

As for the OP, you were pulled over and released. Get over it.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:58 AM

784 posts, read 1,633,685 times
Well... to even attempt to make this thing some kind of "profiling" case towards poor people is of course patently absurd, fairly ridiculous and a pretty obvious attempt to shift the blame to the police officers...... who, in case you haven't realized it yet, were doing the job the residents pay them to do.

LibrarySue, FWIW, you may do better with a logical attitude instead of an idealogical attitude towards the "incident" in question.

Bravo for the alert and attentive officers.... they are to be commended.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:15 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,198,481 times
Yes, Wrightsville cops can be a bit zealous, which is a reflection of the property owners of WB and the sort of town they want. At the same time the cops there can be really cool, helpful, and friendly. I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Also, I should mention -- Wrightsville was recently discussing a camera system that automatically scans every license plate that crosses over the bridge. I believe you've just experienced 21st century technology as it applies to law enforcement. Their computer system probably scanned that Mustang's tags as it crossed the ICWW bridge, compared its tags against a database from SBI or FBI, flagged it as "outstanding warrant", notified W.B. police, who then specifically targeted YOUR car.

http://www.wect.com/story/21430456/w...canning-system

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Friend has some old notation on his license from Florida. so the cops saw that, didn't look at it closely and pulled us over thinking he had an outstanding felony warrant! Which he doesn't.

Are they so bored they randomly run plates of sketchy looking cars? His driving was impeccable. We spent the ride home talking about trading the car for something an accountant would drive.
It is not a matter of boredom -- this is 2013, we don't pay someone a salary to sit there and check license plate numbers. We have computers to do this automatically.

It has nothing to do with the type of car you drive, and everything to do with your license plate being tagged in a database as "Owned by a person with an outstanding warrant."

Last edited by le roi; 07-23-2013 at 07:28 AM..

Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,057,911 times
carolina beach is only a few minutes away and is much more chill

Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
It isn't a crime to drive a beat up car, yet the car was 'profiled'.
Quote:
The thought that they would scan the plates of every car crossing the bridge just freaks me out.
it's bizarre to me that you put these two contradictory comments in the same post.

first you say your car was "profiled", e.g. selectively targeted because it was old..

then you immediately show cognizance of the fact that they scan everyone's license plates, which obviously means you weren't profiled on the basis of your 'old car.'

Old 07-23-2013, 07:34 AM

In one persons' opinion, Carolina beach may be more "chill".... "at this moment".... but as my very good friend le roi mentioned, it is now 2013 and cameras and their connection to computer data bases are here to stay and every business including and especially law enforcement will be using them more and more not less and less as time goes by. You may think that is a good thing, you may think it an invasion of your privacy, it doesn't matter, they are here to stay and only get more sophisticated and more prevalent as time goes by.... all one has to do is turn on any tv channel to see how business and in particular the government is using them.... again, you may like it or not but they are here to stay and shortly EVERY agency in every town will be utilizing the technology to their best advantage..... including Carolina Beach and Everytown USA.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
In one persons' opinion, Carolina beach may be more "chill".... "at this moment".... but as my very good friend le roi mentioned, it is now 2013 and cameras and their connection to computer data bases are here to stay and every business including and especially law enforcement will be using them more and more not less and less as time goes by. You may think that is a good thing, you may think it an invasion of your privacy, it doesn't matter, they are here to stay and only get more sophisticated and more prevalent as time goes by.... all one has to do is turn on any tv channel to see how business and in particular the government is using them.... again, you may like it or not but they are here to stay and shortly EVERY agency in every town will be utilizing the technology to their best advantage..... including Carolina Beach and Everytown USA.
ah... stone creek. i thought about you the other day when i heard about an oyster shell recycling program down at saint james.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,469,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingterp View Post
Bingo! Pour it in a cup, put a koozie on it, or something so that you aren't flaunting it. The police aren't likely to ask you what's in the cup, unless you are under age.
Yup, I've spent years of my life sitting out on WB w/ a coozie wrapped beverage or a cup full of delicious adult beverages and have had officers wave as they passed by. Just don't flaunt it and act obnoxious and there will be no trouble. I applaud the WBPD for keeping the area free of trashy visitors.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:50 PM

Funny thing le roi, we must have heard about that recycling program at the same moment because I felt a slight tingle in my left leg...... I should have guessed it at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina