Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 05:23 AM

39 posts, read 102,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_d_bear View Post
It's funny the different perceptions people have of the traffic in Brunswick County. My impression is that the traffic on 211 between Southport and Rt. 17 (especially between Southport and the turn off for Oak Island) is worse than going from Leland to Wilmington. There is also future help in reducing traffic between Leland and Wilmington (though that may be 5-10 years away) with the completion of I140.
We have not relocated to WRP yet, so I am no expert on traffic. We know to avoid 211 during the "tourist" season. We were down the week of July 4th and 211 was backed up past the entrance to WRP to the intersection of US 17 on Saturday morning. After doing some work on the house we drove back to RVA on Saturday afternoon and traffic was normal on 17, but very busy at the Leland area. New neighbors told us the Saturday traffic was worst due to the renters moving out and Sunday were not good to be heading Southport. I tried to run up to Lowes on 211 a couple of times during the week and the traffic was slow. We found a Lowes and some shopping in Shallotte so we will use that location during the tourist season.

The traffic on 211 was not bad when we have visited earlier in the year. I never visited Oak Island and Holden Beach before we bought so I had no idea of tourists. We have found a "back" road to Holden Beach to visit the WRP beach house so that will help. I have lived in tourists areas 30 years ago and I forgot about that issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 05:58 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I'll give an abbreviated summary of the fees I was provided with in March: Note that these are NOT POA dues.

Full Special Equity: incl: 18 hole Tom Fazio championship golf course & practice facilities, tennis, fitness & swimming priviledges at the Sports Center, Clubhouse dining & participation in social activities

Initiation Fee: $15,000 if purchased within 60 day trial period OR $17,000 if purchased after 60 day trial

Montly Dues; $475

This is incomplete - the message just disappeared and I didn't realize that it actually was sent. Oops - so stay tuned - must attend to a few a.m. chores and then will be back to finish this.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:43 AM

OK -

I'll give an abbreviated summary of the fees I was provided with in March: Note that these are NOT POA dues.

Full Special Equity: incl: 18 hole Tom Fazio championship golf course & practice facilities, tennis, fitness & swimming privileges at the Sports Center, Clubhouse dining & participation in social activities

Initiation Fee: $15,000 if purchased within 60 day trial period OR $17,000 if purchased after 60 day trial

Monthly Dues; $475; Monthly maintenance Dues: $40 Quarterly Dining Minimum: $200 for family/$100 for single

Membership incentive if Committed w/in the 1st 60 days: $2000 reduction in Initiation Fee

The initiation fee may be spread over a 3 year period IF elected within the 60 day trial

Also included are:

Complimentary cart rental for 4 months

6 complimentary golf guest passes

$75 in dues credit for 6 months for the new member & the member sponsor

"Special Equity memberships are non-transferable & non-refundable"

Young Executive Special Equity

Available to an individual or couple with the older member or spouse being less than 40 at the time of joining the Club. These members receive a promotional credit of 25% off the monthly dues for a Full membership. this promotional credit will remain until the member reaches his/her 40th birthday.. Young Execs enjoy the same privileges as Full members.

Monthly Dues; $376; Monthly maintenance Dues: $40 Quarterly Dining Minimum: $200 for family/$100 for single

Membership incentive if committed w/in the 1st 60 days: $2000 reduction in Initiation Fee

The initiation fee may be spread over a 3 year period IF elected within the 60 day trial.

Also included are:

Complimentary cart rental for 4 months

6 complimentary golf guest passes

$75 in dues credit for 6 months for the new member & the member sponsor

Sports Special Equity

Tennis, fitness & swimming privileges at the Sports complex as well as Clubhouse dining & participation in social activities..Sports members may play golf 6 times per year at a reduced rate.

Initiation Fee: $6500 (if within 60 day trial period); $8500 (if after the 60 day trial period)

Monthly Dues: $247; Monthly Maintenance Dues: $30; Quarterly Dining Minimum: $200 for family/$100 for single

Membership incentive if Committed w/in the 1st 60 days: $2000 reduction in Initiation Fee

The initiation fee may be spread over a 3 year period IF elected within the 60 day trial

Also included are:

Your choice of 12 Sports Center Guest passes OR 6 Complimentary Golf Guest Passes + 6 Sports Center Guest passes

$50 in dues credit for 6 months for the new member & the member sponsor

As mentioned, these were the rates as 3/2014 - subject to change (of course)

Last edited by Umbria; 07-14-2014 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-14-2014, 06:56 AM

Default Brunswick Forest Note

I was reading through "stuff' I picked up while at BF and a Disclosure Statement from a resale shows the POA fees were $236.25 per quarter AND

the" regular assessment dues" were $580 per quarter.

This was for a "garden home" at 3285 Gardenwood Drive, Brunswick Forest

Again, different areas in BF have different fees/dues but the regular assessment dues are something to be aware of.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:07 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Thank you Umbria

Old 12-09-2014, 04:33 PM

29 posts, read 48,091 times
I live in Landfall and the HOA is not "rigid" in my opinion. All the rules are simply there to keep the community beautiful, clean and safe. I can't really think of one rule they have that I object to.
Before moving there we looked at a number of 55+ communities. Now those places have RULES!
Like your grandkids can't visit for more that 2 weeks at a time, no pets, you can't plant your own flowers.
Landfall is just a nice place with nice people.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:46 PM

20 posts, read 39,225 times
We are doing exactly the same thing! Research and no family or friends in the area. I'm an avid tennis player so SJP looks good (on paper) for that. We are planning on going down to tour it the first weekend in March.
We'll be in our mid fifties by the time we relocate down there - somewhere! We both will need to continue working too..Any thoughts on average age of residents in these communities?

Old 02-04-2015, 12:48 PM

20 posts, read 39,225 times
Do you know what the recreation charges are at SJP? You are referring to BF above, correct?

Old 02-04-2015, 06:59 PM

99 posts, read 243,309 times
I would love if someone could give some opinions. Has anyone compared all of these developments? Would love to hear pros and cons. We both prefer gated with lots of amenities. Prefer to have golf option even though we are not real golfers now. Looking for warm friendly community, as we are relocating from the north with no friends or family currently down there.

You may want to expand your list even further by adding Winding River Plantation. We considered most of the communities you mentioned prior to buying a building lot in WRP. Moved down from New England in Sept. and will move into our new home in about three weeks. If you like gated, trees and friendly folks you will find each at WRP. Take a look at the WRP private beach house on Holden Beach. Take a look at the River House and private day marina right in the community. Not a golfer, neither are we, but WRP has a great 27 holes should you like to play, no need to join a club. Also, there is a group called the "Hackers" who travel to 40 some courses In the area and you can play when ever you want or not play at all, pay as you play.

WRP is all sold out so another thing that is different from most of the others you mentioned is there is no developer still promoting the community. You will not see the marketing effort/dollars being expended like you will see for most of the others.

WRP is about half way between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach. WRP has sort of a small country town atmosphere.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,181 times
I live in Porters Neck Plantation in Wilmington. We have lived here for 8 years. It is a very friendly community. We have 2 dogs and there are so many other friendly dog owners. Walking your dog is a great way to interact and meet your neighbors. The community is lovely with all of the mature trees and landscaping. There is a broad price range of homes to choose from as well. We are also members of the country club and have really enjoyed it. There is an active tennis and golf community. The club also has a wonderful junior program for kids..summer swim team, tennis teams, lego club, and camps. One of the hugs advantages to Porters Neck Plantation is that you get deeded water access/boat ramp on the intracoastal. We can kayak to Figure 8 island. Not many communities can offer that. Without that access, you have to buy a boat slip at a marina or use public access. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina