U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:54 PM

25 posts, read 139,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_d_bear View Post
I think most of your observations are pretty accurate. Unless you're going to work in Wilmington I don't see much advantage to living there. The drive from Leland is pretty short and the developments you mention in Wilmington are quite expensive. We looked at SJP but felt it was too remote, too big, and the golf costs were too expensive. Brunswick Forest is a little bland and not gated (as a matter of fact, there is a public road running right through it). It does have all its amenities in place so that is a plus for it. Also there are a lot of stores nearby. We chose Compass Pointe to build our home and have recently moved in. The pros are; Convenient access to Wilmington, nicest lookig community (IMO), reasonable prices, gated community, and newness of the community has a we're all in this together vibe. The cons are; not all amenities are in place ( each of the last few years they have completed new amenities), shopping not real close (there is a Food Lion and a couple of small store about 5 minutes away, but Walmart and other chain stores, restaurants, banks, etc are 10-15 minutes away), being new a lot of home construction is going on, and also being new a lot of social activities are just starting to be formed so there is a certain amount of growing pains. Goldenage has given a lot of good advise on this forum but i feel missed the mark when it comes to Compass Pointe. Originally there was one main builder and you were limited to the choice of home styles you could build. This has changed dramatically in the last couple of years and now there are almost a dozen builders to choose from and many of those build custom homes. There are different sections at CP and the lot sizes can vary. On the whole I don't thing the lot sizes are much different from SJP, BF, or many of the other communities in the area. Fimally the 'cookie cutter' comment is completely inaccurate. From the beginning it has been required that no two homes next to each other be the same. You can have two of the same styles together but there has to be some difference such as color, roof line, brick and non-brick. There is a section with 'patio homes' (homes connected at the garage). These tend to be very similar and have small lots. Perhaps this is what Goldenage is remembering. If you have an interest in CP they run sales events periodically that gives you the oppertunity to visit the community, meet and talk to all the builders and view their models, and meet and talk to residents over lunch and dinner. I know they are having a couple in August. Its a good way to get a feel for the commuity.
Thanks for your input. Congrats on your new house. We actually were down for one of compass pointe's weekends. Good people and lots to be impressed by. Just don't know if I would be happy without some shopping close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'll just give a few impressions of Porter's Neck Plantation based on driving past, and reading the listings. The existing houses are not nearly as expensive as Landfall. There are many in the $350K-500K range. (see Porters Neck Plantation & Country Club | 910-686-7400 .) Some have the advantage of mature landscaping, and there is a pleasant variety of house types. There are still lots available, and some new construction is going on. According to one Realtor, "with optional club membership, you gain access to the golf, tennis, fitness center, restaurants, pools and much more."

Another positive aspect it that it is very close to the shopping, restaurants and medical buildings along Market Street. I think PNP is worth considering if you would like a country-club lifestyle with city conveniences.
Thank you for sharing your impressions. I think porters neck might be a good alternative to landfall for us, a little more affordable but offering the benefits of wilmington. Will be visiting in a couple of weeks and will get a feel first hand.

Please keep your thoughts coming. I appreciate all the help.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:49 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,962,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'll just give a few impressions of Porter's Neck Plantation based on driving past, and reading the listings. The existing houses are not nearly as expensive as Landfall. There are many in the $350K-500K range. (see Porters Neck Plantation & Country Club | 910-686-7400 .) Some have the advantage of mature landscaping, and there is a pleasant variety of house types. There are still lots available, and some new construction is going on. According to one Realtor, "with optional club membership, you gain access to the golf, tennis, fitness center, restaurants, pools and much more."

Another positive aspect it that it is very close to the shopping, restaurants and medical buildings along Market Street. I think PNP is worth considering if you would like a country-club lifestyle with city conveniences.
Just wondering being i live down the Jersey shore. How close is Porters Neck to the Beach? Do they have a beach house like SJP or Ocean Ridge Plantation??

Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 AM

45 posts, read 155,113 times
Granted, we were there peak summer, but I was a bit underwhelmed with the ease of beach access with SJP. The private beach club is definitely a plus, but you better get there early. There are only 60+ parking spots, and are filled by 10am. It's a great club, but it certainly gets crowded at times. The pool is nice but small for that kind of volume of people. The club is also about a 25 - 30 minute ride from SJP if you assume 5-10 minutes to get out of the community, and 15 - 20 minutes to go over the bridge and get to the club.

I imagine it's much more enjoyable off-season (or outside of the July vacation peak), but we decided to just use public parking near the new bridge and to avoid the club when it's busy.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:15 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Just wondering being i live down the Jersey shore. How close is Porters Neck to the Beach? Do they have a beach house like SJP or Ocean Ridge Plantation??
I don't believe they have a beach house, but you could check the website for the country club: Porters Neck Plantation & Country Club | 910-686-7400

It is about 9.5 miles around the roads to get to the public access at Wrightsville Beach. There's a closer beach on Figure 8 Island, but you have to be invited by a home-owner to get in there.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM

562 posts, read 931,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrmich View Post
Missynancy thanks so much for your input. Yes it seems overwhelming the amount of "plantations" and options. Every time I try and narrow it down my list actually expands. I never heard of ocean ridge but will definitely be adding it to my list.
Never heard of Ocean Ridge? Ocean Ridge was probably one of the first plantations in this area. I think it is over 15 years old? Someone correct me, Judi are you there? I know people that have owned lots since before 2007. Amenities in place; smaller than SJP. Nice golf courses. Check them out, too. They lie on route 17. Halfway between myrtle beach, SC and Wilmington in that area of Brunswick County.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:07 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,329,610 times
Quote:

I think one of the biggest things I have to decide is if I'm a "city" girl and need the proximity to Wilmington to be happy, or if I want the small town feel that SJP offers from what I can tell. The thing that scares me about Compass Pointe is that it is really stuck down on a "major" road and nothing really near it. It is beautiful inside, but the surrounding area, well not so much. I don't know the answer yet and need to make more trips down. But I would so appreciate opinions of people who live there.
Oh Boy, I know how you feel! Right now, we live in an area where everything is at our finger tips. But the traffic gets tedious.
Parts of Coastal Carolina are more sparsely populated, with that, less traffic and less access to shopping etc.
It does become a challenge to find a balance that you are comfortable with.

Not to further add confusion to your search for the right place, but further south on 17, you will find many other developments-

The Farm
Brunswick Plantation
Crow Creek
Sea Trail
The Thistle
Meadowlands
Carolina Shores
Devaun Park
Ocean Ridge

These communities have quick access to N Myrtle Beach/Myrtle Beach. Certainly not the same as historic Wilmington, but they do offer tons of shopping.

Nancy- both St James and Ocean Ridge started development about the same time, early '90's (1991?)
St James became an incorporated town in 1999.

lorrmich- have fun searching for your "right" place, hopefully you will know it the minute you drive into the development!
Good luck with your search!

Old 07-23-2013, 04:31 PM

15,065 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input. Congrats on your new house. We actually were down for one of compass pointe's weekends. Good people and lots to be impressed by. Just don't know if I would be happy without some shopping close by.
Steve d Bear (and others) already gave a good summary of what we felt when we visited last Spring. I'll add only a couple of additional points.

Since you brought it up: If shopping and services are important to you, SJP will NOT be satisfactory. When we visited, we met several people who were selling for precisely that reason (too far to the hair dresser, nail salon, only 1-2 grocery stores, not enough restaurants, etc.)

Do consider the limited availability of medical services on the NC Coast. Again, we know of several people who have already or are planning on selling their homes for this reason.

BTW, we ended up purchasing in Raleigh instead of the Wilmington area. Love it.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobioAXP View Post
Granted, we were there peak summer, but I was a bit underwhelmed with the ease of beach access with SJP. The private beach club is definitely a plus, but you better get there early. There are only 60+ parking spots, and are filled by 10am. It's a great club, but it certainly gets crowded at times. The pool is nice but small for that kind of volume of people. The club is also about a 25 - 30 minute ride from SJP if you assume 5-10 minutes to get out of the community, and 15 - 20 minutes to go over the bridge and get to the club.

I imagine it's much more enjoyable off-season (or outside of the July vacation peak), but we decided to just use public parking near the new bridge and to avoid the club when it's busy.
Interesting. I was wondering about that. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:44 PM

897 posts, read 1,520,475 times
I see where Sea Trail was brought into the mix. Any one want to comment on the sale of that property to a Chinese investor? I have golfed those tracks a number of times and they needed a "shot in the arm", this could be just what the doctor ordered. In my mind the best location of all the plantations but the number of condos with their weekly rentals turned me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina