U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:20 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,828,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrmich View Post
Goldenage, so if I already scheduled a visit with the real estate office of say, landfall and porters neck, I should cancel and go through my own agent? Can't I just make an offer to their agent then and see if it is accepted, now that I know they are negotiable? What exactly would the buyers agent do? And do you know anyone to recommend? Are you allowed to private message on this forum, if you are more comfortable with that? Appreciate your help.
Sorry, I can't really help with recommending someone. We bought our house using only the seller's agent, and they asked us to sign a form saying that we understood the "dual agency" situation.

If you have already scheduled an appointment, I would not cancel, especially if you feel confident about your negotiating skills. Of course, the Porter's Neck people my feel their place is attractive enough and enough in short supply that they don't have to accept your offer.

Your chances of negotiating a price on the lot are much better if it is a development with many of foreclosed lots on the market. St. James might be a place where price negotiation would work. There is still a fair number of bank-owned lots for sale, and they are offered by independent agents, not by St. James itself. There is no single answer to the question about the best way to buy a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 AM

25 posts, read 140,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
You will need to do multiple trips to this area. There is soo much to see! We bought in Ocean Ridge Plantation because we liked the fact that it was well established. We really enjoyed St james, too. Brunswick Forest is up towards Leland and we thought too far from the beach. Ocean Ridge Plantation as well as SJP both are only around 35 minutes from Wilmington area with all its shopping, Target, etc. We are around 10-15 minutes from the most beautiful beach in NC - Sunset Beach and Calebash - such a cute town! SJP and ORP both have private beach clubs. I felt Brunswick Forest tooo massive and lots too close together and in a very congested area, too. Porters Neck and Landfall are not Brunswick County remember, so tax rates will be higher.....HOpe some of this helps you!!!

Missnancy can you tell me what "sealed the deal" for you that you purchased in ORP? Are you saying closest town is called Calebash? Is Shallotte (where RIvers Edge is) the same type of town Are they both considered small towns? Can you compare ORP to Rivers Edge from your prospective? Both are further from Wilmington then I originally thought I would want, but I also like the idea of small towns . So indecisive. Appreciate your help

Old 07-24-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetoutofNJDave View Post
Don't forget River's Edge in Shallotte. 1 mile from Main St. and 12 miles from Holden Beach. We will be building our dream home there soon.
Dave, can you tell me what were some factors that made you choose River's edge?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Sorry, I can't really help with recommending someone. We bought our house using only the seller's agent, and they asked us to sign a form saying that we understood the "dual agency" situation.

If you have already scheduled an appointment, I would not cancel, especially if you feel confident about your negotiating skills. Of course, the Porter's Neck people my feel their place is attractive enough and enough in short supply that they don't have to accept your offer.

Your chances of negotiating a price on the lot are much better if it is a development with many of foreclosed lots on the market. St. James might be a place where price negotiation would work. There is still a fair number of bank-owned lots for sale, and they are offered by independent agents, not by St. James itself. There is no single answer to the question about the best way to buy a lot.
Thank you for your feedback. I am also figuring that if the demand is high there is certainly less room for negotiation. However, I just had a very uncomfortable situation where I have been speaking to a sales agent from Porters Neck for last week or two and she told me some lot prices over the phone for 4 properties, and then I just received the packet and looked at the map, 2 of them were more expensive then what she told me. Leaving bad taste in my mouth even if it was an accident.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM

51 posts, read 136,094 times
Quote:
Dave, can you tell me what were some factors that made you choose River's edge?
We wanted to build in a place with a small town neighborhood feel. We purchased our lot 9 years ago and plan to start building before the end of this year. River's Edge is located in an area that has everything within a 1 mile drive from the main gate. The private beach house is only a 12 mile drive away on Holden Beach. Most of the other plantations were too big. If you have not looked at River's Edge I would recommend that you do. Check out the website.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:07 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,641,555 times
I can't find the article rite now but The Star News
just had a huge article about the drinking water problems
that St.James plantation is going to face within
a few years. in as running out of water?
did anyone else read that? did not sound good.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetoutofNJDave View Post
We wanted to build in a place with a small town neighborhood feel. We purchased our lot 9 years ago and plan to start building before the end of this year. River's Edge is located in an area that has everything within a 1 mile drive from the main gate. The private beach house is only a 12 mile drive away on Holden Beach. Most of the other plantations were too big. If you have not looked at River's Edge I would recommend that you do. Check out the website.
I have definitely added it to my list. So you have a supermarket and restaurants in a 1 mile radius? Is there a gym with scheduled classes on the property? And I very much am drawn to the private beach but another poster indicated that the one at SJP was not adequate for the size of the property. How many parking spots does the private beach have at RE? Do they also have a clubhouse for dinner? Thanks for input.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I am also figuring that if the demand is high there is certainly less room for negotiation. However, I just had a very uncomfortable situation where I have been speaking to a sales agent from Porters Neck for last week or two and she told me some lot prices over the phone for 4 properties, and then I just received the packet and looked at the map, 2 of them were more expensive then what she told me.
Just a suggestion: look at all the lots for sale with a tool like Zillow. It will show the re-sales from independant brokers, not just the ones from the plantation. Zillow also shows the assessed value and usually the property tax from the county. That way you understand the range of prices. For example, Porters Neck has a quarter acre "villa lot" for $80,000. Half acre lots are about $150,000, one with water access is $315,000. Golf course lots are about $200,000. My own favorite is a corner lot with a bit less than half an acres for $149,000.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I have definitely added it to my list. So you have a supermarket and restaurants in a 1 mile radius? Is there a gym with scheduled classes on the property? And I very much am drawn to the private beach but another poster indicated that the one at SJP was not adequate for the size of the property. How many parking spots does the private beach have at RE? Do they also have a clubhouse for dinner? Thanks for input.
Some of your questions are answered on the web site at Rivers Edge private club amenity lifestyle . They have dining and a fitness center with an indoor pool. They mention water aerobics, yoga and Pilates classes.

Lot prices are quite reasonable. Zillow shows golf course lots in the $50-103K range and non-golf course lots about $35K.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:41 PM

45 posts, read 155,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Does it really take 30 minutes to the beach in Oak Island for St James Beach house??
I thought it was much closer

Well, we own a condo by the St James Marina, so it's about as far from the St James main gate as you can get. But, yes, it took us almost 30 minutes from condo to beach club. The St James sales pitch is that the beach club is "just a quick 10-minute drive from the main gate". That probably works during the dead of winter, but with beach traffic it certainly takes much longer. 25-30 minutes is about right, then good luck with parking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina