U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,966,557 times

Advertisements

Thank you Stoney and Robio. I was getting nervous that I couldn't bring my cooler with Beers to the beach if it was going to be a 30 minute ride...

Ha......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 PM

562 posts, read 933,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrmich View Post
Thanks for sharing this website. I never heard of it. It has great information. But I am a little confused how to search for a particular neighborhood or if I just want to find prices of lots. For instance, do I have to go through all of Wilmington to find something in Landfall? And how do I just find price for lots, or do I weed through?
jerseyj is correct. the website she gives is a great resource for finding out prices of lots, etc. in brunswick county. we used it extensively when looking for our lot. we purchased in ocean ridge plantation.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 PM

562 posts, read 933,563 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing this website. I never heard of it. It has great information. But I am a little confused how to search for a particular neighborhood or if I just want to find prices of lots. For instance, do I have to go through all of Wilmington to find something in Landfall? And how do I just find price for lots, or do I weed through?
zillow is a great website!! Truia.com is another one.....

Old 07-26-2013, 08:11 PM

146 posts, read 235,480 times
Quote:
We recently were down in NC traveling the state and checking out areas to relocate in a few years. (Thinking of maybe buying some land now and building in a couple of years). We both loved the Wilmington area and only had a little time left to check out some places close by. Fell in love with some things they are doing/planning at Compass Pointe. Has a vacation kind of feel. We also checked out Brunswick Forest. My husband liked the possibilities but it felt very barren to me. No real lush landscape, not a vacation type of vibe, and also its planned size seems massive. But I know people really love it there and say there is so much to do. Then I was thinking maybe we would prefer to be over by Wilmington and not have to cross the bridge all the time so I started looking into Landfall and Porters Neck Plantation. I will be going back down in a few weeks to look at both of those. Landfall may be too high end for us. I love the location but not sure it will be the right fit. I can't find much if anything about Porters Neck. Does anyone who reads this live there and want to weigh in with some thoughts? Lastly, I am considering SJP and while there seem to be a lot of wonderful things about it, including the private beach club, I don't think I want to be so far from Wilmington and other conveniences. And this one also seems huge.

I would love if someone could give some opinions. Has anyone compared all of these developments? Would love to hear pros and cons. We both prefer gated with lots of amenities. Prefer to have golf option even though we are not real golfers now. Looking for warm friendly community, as we are relocating from the north with no friends or family currently down there.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
For what it is worth, another resource:

Search for the best master planned Coastal Southern North Carolina communities

Old 07-27-2013, 05:18 AM

900 posts, read 1,524,163 times
For plantations without a "beach house" how difficult is it to find free parking on Sunset, Holden, Ocean etc beaches?

Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 AM

149 posts, read 517,638 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input. Congrats on your new house. We actually were down for one of compass pointe's weekends. Good people and lots to be impressed by. Just don't know if I would be happy without some shopping close by.
You may or may not be aware, but Porters Neck is on the outskirts of Wilmington proper. Compass Pointe is actually closer to downtown Wilmington and the river walk area than Porters Neck. Independence Mall is about the same distance from the two. My point is that though there may not be shopping right outside of the Compass Pointe gate, it is not that far away. For us it was an easy trade off in order to be further away from some of Wilmington's less desirable features such as crime, traffic, and higher taxes.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:55 AM

25 posts, read 140,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Zillow normally recognizes neighborhood names like "Landfall, Wilmington, NC". If not, put in a street and city name. Then, click the "Filter" button, and the search will allow you to select Lots, Houses, Condos, etc, and a price range. When you find an interesting area, you can zoom around on the map.
Yes thank you I am getting used to using it!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_d_bear View Post
You may or may not be aware, but Porters Neck is on the outskirts of Wilmington proper. Compass Pointe is actually closer to downtown Wilmington and the river walk area than Porters Neck. Independence Mall is about the same distance from the two. My point is that though there may not be shopping right outside of the Compass Pointe gate, it is not that far away. For us it was an easy trade off in order to be further away from some of Wilmington's less desirable features such as crime, traffic, and higher taxes.
Yes I am struggling with that also. What you say is true about the distances of the two. The only thing I keep hearing is that certain times of the day the traffic on the bridge can be a real problem, so I thought maybe it was better to avoid that whole issue.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post

I looked at this site and can't quite figure it out. Based on some of the ratings they give, for different things in different categories, the overall score doesn't make sense to me. It is interesting but seems biased in some unknown way.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:37 AM

149 posts, read 517,638 times
Quote:
Yes I am struggling with that also. What you say is true about the distances of the two. The only thing I keep hearing is that certain times of the day the traffic on the bridge can be a real problem, so I thought maybe it was better to avoid that whole issue.
The traffic backs up during rush hour. Unless you're working in Wilmington it is pretty easy to avoid. The only other problem is if you are trying to go in or out and the drawbridge is up. This may delay you 15 minutes or so. This has happened to us once in the 2 plus monthes we have been here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina