U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:55 PM

169 posts, read 518,145 times

Advertisements

" The only other problem is if you are trying to go in or out and the drawbridge is up. This may delay you 15 minutes or so. This has happened to us once in the 2 plus monthes we have been here."

Funny but that has happened to me once in the the ten (or so) years I've been here. Still, you get plenty of warning and can take the battleship exit and cross the Holmes bridge into downtown Wilmington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 02:47 PM

1,948 posts, read 2,629,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDregs View Post
" The only other problem is if you are trying to go in or out and the drawbridge is up. This may delay you 15 minutes or so. This has happened to us once in the 2 plus monthes we have been here."

Funny but that has happened to me once in the the ten (or so) years I've been here. Still, you get plenty of warning and can take the battleship exit and cross the Holmes bridge into downtown Wilmington

funny to me because more times than I can count when I am heading the other
way on 74 and the line
of cars waiting to get over the bridge can be several miles long.

the trouble with using Isabel Holmes bridge is
that one has to right at the Cape Fear bridge to get onto the exit.

let's keep things real , getting across the Cape Fear river can
be a 50/50 chance of sitting in a lot of traffic.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:33 PM

27 posts, read 64,033 times
Bridge traffic is hardly ever bad, and I cross it all the time. Maybe backed up a lil in mornings, but even afternoon "rush" is a few minutes at the 421 merge. Only time to avoid it totally is Saturdays during peak vacation season. Thats changeover day for rentals and 17 is very busy all over until late afternoon.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:10 PM

383 posts, read 742,544 times
I just moved to SJP and live by the Seaside gate. On the 4th of July it took us about 15 minutes to get to the beach club. The only problem is there was no parking. The good thing is that there is ample public parking. The parking situation at beach clubs are not uncommon. 90% of the time, parking is not a problem. Winding River has about a 1/4 of the parking spots at their beach club that SJP has. We had no problems parking on Sunday or Monday of the 4th of July weekend, although, Sunday was not a good weather day.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:37 PM

561 posts, read 930,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Sorry, I can't really help with recommending someone. We bought our house using only the seller's agent, and they asked us to sign a form saying that we understood the "dual agency" situation.

If you have already scheduled an appointment, I would not cancel, especially if you feel confident about your negotiating skills. Of course, the Porter's Neck people my feel their place is attractive enough and enough in short supply that they don't have to accept your offer.

Your chances of negotiating a price on the lot are much better if it is a development with many of foreclosed lots on the market. St. James might be a place where price negotiation would work. There is still a fair number of bank-owned lots for sale, and they are offered by independent agents, not by St. James itself. There is no single answer to the question about the best way to buy a lot.
There is always room for negotiation! Always bring your OWN agent. Otherwise, you can have a conflict of interest there! How much is the agent willing to fight for a lower price, when they also represent the 'seller' and a higher price would be a better commission for them??

Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 PM

145 posts, read 234,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrmich View Post
I looked at this site and can't quite figure it out. Based on some of the ratings they give, for different things in different categories, the overall score doesn't make sense to me. It is interesting but seems biased in some unknown way.
The site used to be much easier to use. I looked at just about every plantation listed and SJP had the highest score. I realize that the scoring system is highly subjective and I do not understand how they rate certain items like distance to good restaurants. Saying a restaurant is good is truly subjective. Another criteria was distance from a nuclear power plant. That is the type of thing that either bothers you or it doesn't. Etc.

The site is just a data point.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 AM

561 posts, read 930,982 times
Quote:
Missnancy can you tell me what "sealed the deal" for you that you purchased in ORP? Are you saying closest town is called Calebash? Is Shallotte (where RIvers Edge is) the same type of town Are they both considered small towns? Can you compare ORP to Rivers Edge from your prospective? Both are further from Wilmington then I originally thought I would want, but I also like the idea of small towns . So indecisive. Appreciate your help
  • What helped us seal the deal with ORP?
  • Elevation of our lot - we are over 50 ft above sea level - nicely laid out community - not too small; not too big
  • Area - off route 17 - easy for evaculation if necessary - not on 211 which would get 'clogged'
  • accessability (40 min) to both Myrtle Beach as well as Wilmington
  • HOA fees reasonable
  • Several friends are in both the ORP as well as STJ plantations already
  • price of the gorgeous golf course lot
  • We didn't want the 'risk factor' of the 'river' - we saw the GIS North Carolina maps for flood plains and that was a shocker
  • reasonable airfares for PHL to ILM as well as PHL to Myrtle Beach

Old 08-02-2013, 12:39 PM

25 posts, read 139,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
  • What helped us seal the deal with ORP?
  • Elevation of our lot - we are over 50 ft above sea level - nicely laid out community - not too small; not too big
  • Area - off route 17 - easy for evaculation if necessary - not on 211 which would get 'clogged'
  • accessability (40 min) to both Myrtle Beach as well as Wilmington
  • HOA fees reasonable
  • Several friends are in both the ORP as well as STJ plantations already
  • price of the gorgeous golf course lot
  • We didn't want the 'risk factor' of the 'river' - we saw the GIS North Carolina maps for flood plains and that was a shocker
  • reasonable airfares for PHL to ILM as well as PHL to Myrtle Beach
Thank you for your thoughtful response. We are going back down next weekend and plan to visit some more places as well as ORP. Will be stopping in to RE and Porters Neck and Landfall in Wilmington. I am hoping to narrow down if I am more comfortable with city or small town. SJP is definitely out for me because it is too massive. Hope to share some thoughts after our trip.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed. If you have any more insights please share.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:14 PM

51 posts, read 135,876 times
Quote:
Thank you for your thoughtful response. We are going back down next weekend and plan to visit some more places as well as ORP. Will be stopping in to RE and Porters Neck and Landfall in Wilmington. I am hoping to narrow down if I am more comfortable with city or small town. SJP is definitely out for me because it is too massive. Hope to share some thoughts after our trip.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed. If you have any more insights please share.
If you are looking for a small town feel you will LOVE River's Edge. My lot is 32 feet above sea level and when you drive outside the front gate and turn right, you are ONE mile from Main Street.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:02 PM

25 posts, read 139,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetoutofNJDave View Post
If you are looking for a small town feel you will LOVE River's Edge. My lot is 32 feet above sea level and when you drive outside the front gate and turn right, you are ONE mile from Main Street.
Hi Dave, I have that one on my short list also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina