Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 03:29 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times

Advertisements

Went to Wrightsville Beach at 10am today with a friend. He drives a somewhat beat up Mustang. He was driving VERY carefully, but for some reason when we pulled up to that stop sign where the road forks, the cop sitting there thought it would be a good idea to run his plates. Friend has some old notation on his license from Florida. so the cops saw that, didn't look at it closely and pulled us over thinking he had an outstanding felony warrant! Which he doesn't. FIrst thing they ask us is where we are going (as if we would be going somewhere other than the beach!) For good measure they ran my license also (ridiculously clean record) Spent ten minutes in the hot car while they figured out they'd wasted their time.

Needless to say, it upset us both enough to ruin our outing.

Are they so bored they randomly run plates of sketchy looking cars? His driving was impeccable. We spent the ride home talking about trading the car for something an accountant would drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 06:35 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,102 times
This is also my impression , we visit WB almost daily and they are extremely "on top" of
any little minute thing. Whether this is justified or not is hard to tell. It is not a real friendly town per se.

It is my understanding that shortly they will install
a camera recording every car license tag that crosses the bridge to run a check on them. Guess it keeps
the "rif raf" off Wrightsville Beach.

We notice the police that drive the beach do a good amount of
checking families just sitting having a good time. The last two times
groups have received a ticket/fine for something unbeknownst to us but most likely for having a beer or smoking
a cigarette.
We then observe the families pack up and leave the beach.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:00 AM

805 posts, read 2,004,872 times
Overzealous ? I think not. Bravo to the officers !

I certainly applaud the police officers for simply doing their job on a hot afternoon and I'm sure the "sensible" tax paying residents of Wrightsville beach also appreciate the officers checking out a "sketchy " vehicle for a few minutes in their town.... that is part of their job and EXACTLY what they get paid for... bravo again.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:45 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times
Without knowing what the "notation" is it's hard to feel bad for someone who has unresolved issues pertaining to their license.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:56 AM

HS_DUDE.... BINGO.... right on target.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Went to Wrightsville Beach at 10am today with a friend. He drives a somewhat beat up Mustang. He was driving VERY carefully, but for some reason when we pulled up to that stop sign where the road forks, the cop sitting there thought it would be a good idea to run his plates. Friend has some old notation on his license from Florida. so the cops saw that, didn't look at it closely and pulled us over thinking he had an outstanding felony warrant! Which he doesn't. FIrst thing they ask us is where we are going (as if we would be going somewhere other than the beach!) For good measure they ran my license also (ridiculously clean record) Spent ten minutes in the hot car while they figured out they'd wasted their time.

Needless to say, it upset us both enough to ruin our outing.

Are they so bored they randomly run plates of sketchy looking cars? His driving was impeccable. We spent the ride home talking about trading the car for something an accountant would drive.
you know that the license tag would transfer to the new
car , right? might be a good idea to get that old notation off his license.
I have twice seen cops pull in behind me while
driving our old gardening truck , you can see them run the tag
while driving behind my truck. they won't find a thing on my record
so I have never actually been stopped.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:22 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Without knowing what the "notation" is it's hard to feel bad for someone who has unresolved issues pertaining to their license.
It doesn't have anything to do with his license or even his driving record. If he had the money to get a lawyer in Florida to get it removed, he would also have the money to buy a more respectable looking car. It is not a crime to be among the working poor. It isn't a crime to drive a beat up car, yet the car was 'profiled'. We aren't hoodie wearing tattooed thugs...he is a project manager for a fledgling company and I'm a school librarian, for heaven's sake, and that is exactly what we look like.

It was only a fluke that we were not driving my car...my check engine light came on the day before so we opted to drive his. I've driven onto Wrightsville beach in my Subaru Forester many times without getting pulled over. (I can only assume no one bothers to run my plates)

I assure you, we are not the 'rif-raf', and their actions did not result in removing a dangerous driver from the road. I wasn't asking anyone to feel bad for us, I was just curious to know if this is typical of WB.

The thought that they would scan the plates of every car crossing the bridge just freaks me out. The word 'librarian' doesn't resemble the word 'liberal' for nothin'!

Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 AM

Allow me to repeat myself.....

I certainly applaud the police officers for SIMPLY DOING THEIR JOB on a hot afternoon and I'm sure the "sensible" tax paying residents of Wrightsville beach also appreciate the officers checking out what the ORIGINAL POSTER calls a " sketchy " vehicle for a few minutes in their town.... that IS part of their job and EXACTLY what they get paid to do... bravo again.

We should ALL be so lucky as to have alert and observant police officers such as these watching out for the safety of the residents that pay them.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
It isn't a crime to drive a beat up car, yet the car was 'profiled'. We aren't hoodie wearing tattooed thugs...he is a project manager for a fledgling company and I'm a school librarian, for heaven's sake, and that is exactly what we look like.
FWIW, I think the cops are being over-zealous. I have never seen or heard anything like that on Topsail Island. Next time you visit the coast, I hope you look for a more hospitable beach.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Was on the beach at Wrightsville with a bunch of locals recently and witnessed a family (with very small children) get a citation for drinking on the beach. We were also drinking on the beach, but had the sense to pour it into cups.

The lady was going off and making a real scene, mainly because there were others drinking around her that did not get cited. I wanted to go over and hand her a red solo cup and tell her to relax. She furiously grabbed her kids and husband and left the beach. Anywhere but Wrightsville and you may be concerned about families leaving and the economic affect it could have...but Wrightsville HAS to do what it has to do to retain order...its where people come to play and is essentially in the middle of the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina