U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 09:12 AM

519 posts, read 739,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
We just spent a week on Ocracoke last month...first time there. We LOVED the island. I will start by saying we are not "beach" people. We enjoy a few hours on the beach now and then but the beach was not the primary factor in our vacation. We simply wanted to get away to a place that's off the beaten path and moves at a slower pace. Ocracoke fit the bill perfectly. The little village is great for walking or riding a bike and there are plenty of good spots to duck in for a drink or a good meal. I highly recommend Howard's Pub, Dajio & Back Porch. Eduardo's Taco Stand is good, too.

As for the beach, we were quite impressed. This is basically the way the beach is supposed to look...wide sandy stretches kissed by the surf with no jet skis darting about, tall dunes and sea oats backed by a maritime forest rather than rows of cottages and/or condo towers. The only beach I've found in NC that I like better is on uninhabited Shackelford Banks. I recommend not going on the Lifeguard Beach but heading farther north toward the horse pen or campground as the beach is even less crowded up there. As nice as the beaches are, we really most enjoyed kayaking in the sound, riding our bikes around the island and just being away from it all. Ocracoke is a very special place and I can't wait to go back.

As others have said, I also liked the Swanquarter ferry crossing as the 2.5 hours on the boat was a nice time to relax and start slowing down to island pace on the way over.
If you wanted to get away from it all and isolation,you were definitely in the right place. There's no way we could stay there for a whole week. We like more civilization and choices. I guess that's all it comes down to....what you like and what you like to do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 09:31 AM

78 posts, read 122,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
We just spent a week on Ocracoke last month...first time there. We LOVED the island. I will start by saying we are not "beach" people. We enjoy a few hours on the beach now and then but the beach was not the primary factor in our vacation. We simply wanted to get away to a place that's off the beaten path and moves at a slower pace. Ocracoke fit the bill perfectly. The little village is great for walking or riding a bike and there are plenty of good spots to duck in for a drink or a good meal. I highly recommend Howard's Pub, Dajio & Back Porch. Eduardo's Taco Stand is good, too.

As for the beach, we were quite impressed. This is basically the way the beach is supposed to look...wide sandy stretches kissed by the surf with no jet skis darting about, tall dunes and sea oats backed by a maritime forest rather than rows of cottages and/or condo towers. The only beach I've found in NC that I like better is on uninhabited Shackelford Banks. I recommend not going on the Lifeguard Beach but heading farther north toward the horse pen or campground as the beach is even less crowded up there. As nice as the beaches are, we really most enjoyed kayaking in the sound, riding our bikes around the island and just being away from it all. Ocracoke is a very special place and I can't wait to go back.

As others have said, I also liked the Swanquarter ferry crossing as the 2.5 hours on the boat was a nice time to relax and start slowing down to island pace on the way over.
WOW!! A whole week in that desolate place! NO WAY!!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:37 PM

791 posts, read 966,296 times
What is a good seafood dinning place on Ocracoke?

Old 08-01-2013, 02:37 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,478,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eunicemendez View Post
WOW!! A whole week in that desolate place! NO WAY!!
Good, please stay away and let us beach bums enjoy Ocracoke...

Old 08-02-2013, 05:51 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,365,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowstoneDate View Post
What is a good seafood dinning place on Ocracoke?
Always go to Ocracoke Seafood for the answer...here is their list of establishments that buy local...

About UsWholesale & RetailNC Sea

Here is the Back Porch's website...

http://www.backporchocracoke.com/Back_Porch/Home.html

Old 08-03-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Good, please stay away and let us beach bums enjoy Ocracoke...
Don't worry......no problem. I will be bumming at a much nicer beach!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Don't worry......no problem. I will be bumming at a much nicer beach!
...and where exactly will that be? I'm a sucker for all (well most) beaches.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
...and where exactly will that be? I'm a sucker for all (well most) beaches.
Wrightsville most of the time because it is the closest to our home(only about eight miles). Once in a while Fort Fisher.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Wrightsville most of the time because it is the closest to our home(only about eight miles). Once in a while Fort Fisher.
My parents live at Wrightsville...I still find Ocracoke to be more relaxing during the peak season. My favorite time at WB is during the fall and winter when the tourists have gone home.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
My parents live at Wrightsville...I still find Ocracoke to be more relaxing during the peak season. My favorite time at WB is during the fall and winter when the tourists have gone home.
Lucky parents and lucky you to have their place to stay when you visit beautiful Wrightsville Beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina