U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 08:00 AM

153 posts, read 789,791 times

Advertisements

I live in Greensboro and will be traveling to a NC beach this summer for a few days, it will be my first time. I cannot afford a place on the beach, instead will be renting a hotel a few miles away.

Here is my question, where can I park at to access the beach very easily? I will be traveling with someone who can walk, but has a hard time and cannot walk far. I would like to be able to park and walk right up to the beach and water. I know it will not be a few feet, but simple walking distance on the sand. We want to be near the water.

As to which beach, I am thinking in the Wilmington, Carolina, Wrightsville beach area.

Also are small dogs allowed on the beach?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 10:03 AM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post
As to which beach, I am thinking in the Wilmington, Carolina, Wrightsville beach area.

Also are small dogs allowed on the beach?
Here's some help on the dog question. Wrightsville does not allow dogs during the peak season. Carolina Beach has Freeman Park where dogs are allowed on leash during summer: http://www.bringfido.com/attraction/...orth_carolina/ You are allowed to drive on that beach if you have a 4-wheel drive and purchase a pass. Supposedly you can park nearby, but I do not see much parking from Google's aerial view.

Do you have a handicapped parking sticker for your friend? Having one would make it much easier.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-27-2013 at 10:13 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 10:47 AM

Yes...she has handicapped parking.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:49 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times
Agree completely with the handicap sticker....although there are lots of places so you should be able to get a close spot.

If you want to go to Wrightsville, I'd recommend going in the evening...Wrightsville doesn't charge to park after 6.

There are a lot of beach accesses between Carolina Beach and Fort Fisher, I recommend going there if you go during the day....the beaches should not be that crowded.

The South end of Topsail Island is a great place to take a dog...you can park right next to the Dunes. Would be a bit more of a trip.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 AM

Thank you. Are the parking areas right near the water? walking distance? I am from California, and there you park and walk right to the beach within a minute.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 AM

3,185 posts, read 5,791,391 times
As of last week it cost 2 dollars per hour to park at Wrightsville beach and even then finding a spot can sometimes be hard..Carolina beach and Kure beach will be better

Old 07-27-2013, 12:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,825,209 times
I know dogs are allowed on Topsail Island on a leash. After September 30 you can have dogs on Topsail Beach unleashed. Using bidding on Priceline I got a hotel in the heart of Wilmington for $55 before taxes and Fees. About $77 after. The Holiday Inn on Market.

The Wilmington area beaches (Wrightsville, Kure, Carolina) only allow dogs in the off season.

North Carolina Dog Friendly Public Beaches | USA Today

Old 07-27-2013, 12:51 PM

11,261 posts, read 19,805,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post
Thank you. Are the parking areas right near the water? walking distance? I am from California, and there you park and walk right to the beach within a minute.
They are typically not like California, just across the street. Parking is clustered in lots, with usually a wooden walkway to the beach. I'd suggest dropping your friend off at the access walkway, park the car and join her.

Kure Beach has some detailed maps, and they have a list of the lots with handicap spaces and dune crossover ramps. http://www.townofkurebeach.org/parking.aspx

Google will help you find info about parking lots in other towns, but it sounds like Topsail Beach or Fort Fisher are good bets for both the friend and the dog.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-27-2013 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina