U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:40 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,116,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
.... Which reminds me, you don't see as much school pride coming out of UNC-W by the community and area as a whole...
More because of its location at the edge of town than anything else and they do not field a football team. UNCC had a similar problem years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Not trying to argue, but let's put some context out there...ECU admits at least twice as many freshmen students every year than does UNCW...so it should not be surprising that kids get into ECU and not UNCW. Its purely a numbers game...and as folks have stated, UNCW can afford to be selective because of its location.
I am not arguing either.

I am not bashing ECU, it has a role to play in education. I think, your premise is wrong however. It is not about total numbers, but about the academic potential of those that are admitted, and the achievements of those that graduate that determines the "strength/rep" of a university.

And I agree that SAT is not the greatest measurement tool, but a billion Universities disagree with us, and they are the ones doing the admitting.

However, like it or not, as soon as one university admits one student, with less potential than the other university does, regardless of metric or numbers, well...it starts down the slippery slope.

I know ECU grads are passionate and loyal, but to pretend it is the Harvard of the south is silly. I know I don't have "data," just personal experience.

If it is not a party school, by adult or alumni standards, the students, in general, have not received the memo.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:27 AM

7,930 posts, read 17,789,924 times
My son is an average Student Mostly B's but Struggled his 1st few years in HS...Hopefully his 1st 2 years of Central Piedmont Community College he does well, and they will accept him into UNCW, If not there is always a back up plan..he is very passionate about what he wants to do and is very hungry so to speak...At 18 He has a network of people he speaks with etc..Time will tell what happens I personally do not believe in Test Scores say it all but like LLN said the Universities don't seem to agree...If the Cost of out of state tution is too much then he will have to sacrifice and head to UNCC not what he wants but its life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina