Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 05:21 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,281,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
It was not quite so blunt, but the message was very clear. But, we were very very very surprised at some of the folks that did not get accepted at UNCW. They figured they were shoe ins.

She did not go to ECU, I never understood all the drama, but she ended up, back at WCU. Nothing has prepared me for this mess!
Im sorry I too dread this I have to say not with my son but with my Daughter...she is in 8th grade and well I dread when its time for colleges for her...I am thinking that with all this input we might really have to take a look at FAU and suck it up for a year with the out of state tuition...Alot of Insight to this school, thank you...We just spoke to our new neighbor who's son graduated from UNCW 4 years ago he loved it and thought it would be a great school for my son but im starting to think maybe not...Im not going to discourage him and we have a few years left
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:15 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,220,909 times
How did this turn into an ECU bashing thread, with people recalling the 1980s? Good god.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 PM

I don't think anyone is bashing ECU because when it comes to party schools there are plenty here in NC that would qualify, however a lot of parents I speak with just say that some kids settle and head there..Honestly Im trying to see the fascination with NC State as some people recommended my son apply there however he has no interest because partying isn't his thing and the school does not offer the program he is looking for...I see it does well Academically, and I do not have experience 1st hand with either ECU or any of the others other than what I hear from his friends that attend that school and what I hear from the parents...I think personally its just the way of Universities...Im sure if they want to party they will find a way to do it...lol

I have to say the student reviews I have been reading on UNCW are making me a bit nervous too and these are current students as well as students that have graduated...So I guess its all relative on what type of Education they receive whether it be UNCW or ECU or WCU or NC State etc..It is what the student makes of it and depending on their major I guess..Either way he needs to get thru CPCC and take it from there and just apply to 3 colleges of choice and see where it lands him at this point...

Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,864,488 times
ECU is great for medicine (and that includes sports medicine), music, and teaching. Better than UNC-W. Despite "Pirate Pride" being prevalent in Eastern NC, almost down to Wilmington and starting at the border on I-95, it is is still colloquially locally known as "Easy Credit University" outside of the aforementioned field. Note that this is in a state that has some of the beat public universities in the country. I'm sure a degree from ECU is as good as any other university and I've found the negative aspects of ECUs rep are mostly internal to NC. Outside of the state it's rep is almost always positive or neutral, no matter the field of study. This is also a state where many people disparage NC State which is one of the best in the country in engineering and other math heavy science majors.

Edit: SwimMom, what exactly are you nervous about with UNC-W?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
ECU is great for medicine (and that includes sports medicine), music, and teaching. Better than UNC-W. Despite "Pirate Pride" being prevalent in Eastern NC, almost down to Wilmington and starting at the border on I-95, it is is still colloquially locally known as "Easy Credit University" outside of the aforementioned field. Note that this is in a state that has some of the beat public universities in the country. I'm sure a degree from ECU is as good as any other university and I've found the negative aspects of ECUs rep are mostly internal to NC. Outside of the state it's rep is almost always positive or neutral, no matter the field of study. This is also a state where many people disparage NC State which is one of the best in the country in engineering and other math heavy science majors.

Edit: SwimMom, what exactly are you nervous about with UNC-W?
A lot of the reviews were Negative now I normally don't pay much attention to them as its just someone's opinion however people were posting that the Professors aren't that great, The school itself isnt all the hype that they say, the Adminstration is very difficult and not nice, the kids are snobby, the school academically is a joke and it the has no networks and a degree from there holds very little value...its difficult to make friends you know complaints...lol Then there are those were Neutral Reviews that they felt the education was ok some where prepared for Graduate School and some were not...I just worry that He won't have a good experience, he is very outgoing and im proud to say he is a great kid well Young Adult...but from what I'm seeing they aren't very welcoming at the school..Again no idea what to expect, we are going to take the tour and meet with the adviser and someone from the Department...I wish I can post the reviews It really was quite interesting...

If one goes to studentreview.com and type in UNCW you will see what I'm talking about and why I was concerned

Old 07-30-2013, 09:21 AM

People go to UNC-W because of the beach, period. Their only outstanding program is marine biology. Everything else is average in a regional setting.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
People go to UNC-W because of the beach, period. Their only outstanding program is marine biology. Everything else is average in a regional setting.
This seems to be case with almost all the Universities and people attending all different ones...But I will say this UNC-W has an excellent program for what my Son wants to do as well as FAU...

Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,663,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Their nursing program is pretty good I hear, and the FACT remains that four of my daughter's friends and my daughter, so a sample size of 5 were rejected by UNCW and got in ECU with no questions asked.

You can say what you want, but that is real data.

OBTW, in Charlotte our small company hired the son of a friend of a friend. NC State grad, just out of school. He could not write a sentence, explain anything, and was functionally illiterate.

One of the partners compared his salary to the price of entertainment at the local comedy club, and decided he was a bargain. Yessir, proud grad of NC State.

College is essentially what you make of it. Most do not see the error of their ways until later in life, when they no longer have the luxury of taking 4 years off to learn something. Tis sad.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Their nursing program is pretty good I hear, and the FACT remains that four of my daughter's friends and my daughter, so a sample size of 5 were rejected by UNCW and got in ECU with no questions asked.

OBTW, in Charlotte our small company hired the son of a friend of a friend. NC State grad, just out of school. He could not write a sentence, explain anything, and was functionally illiterate.

One of the partners compared his salary to the price of entertainment at the local comedy club, and decided he was a bargain. Yessir, proud grad of NC State.

College is essentially what you make of it. Most do not see the error of their ways until later in life, when they no longer have the luxury of taking 4 years off to learn something. Tis sad.
Very well said

Old 07-31-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:

Thats not real data, its anecdotal evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina