Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times

Advertisements

SwimMom, full disclosure, Mr. Bojangles lies in Greenville and represents Pirate Pride to the fullest. Which reminds me, you don't see as much school pride coming out of UNC-W by the community and area as a whole. ECUs influence basically reaches from the border on I-95, almost to Wilmington in Eastern NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:23 PM

958 posts, read 2,621,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
People go to UNC-W because of the beach, period. Their only outstanding program is marine biology. Everything else is average in a regional setting.
This is very true. I lived in Wilmington for quite a while and my brother went to school there, and got a degree in marine biology as a matter of fact. People want to live in Wilmington, because of the beach. Wages there are therefore depressed since so many people want to live there, they're willing to take less money to work and employers can lowball them. The college situation is similar. So many kids want to go to school there, because it's at the beach, so the school can be more selective as to who they let in. There is nothing remarkable about UNCW, it's just a regional state university.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,374,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
This is very true. I lived in Wilmington for quite a while and my brother went to school there, and got a degree in marine biology as a matter of fact. People want to live in Wilmington, because of the beach. Wages there are therefore depressed since so many people want to live there, they're willing to take less money to work and employers can lowball them. The college situation is similar. So many kids want to go to school there, because it's at the beach, so the school can be more selective as to who they let in. There is nothing remarkable about UNCW, it's just a regional state university.
Again this sounds like Every University....I have read reviews on numerous of Universities and they all sound alike...Again my son wants to be a professional has no desire to stay in Wilmington for a masters degree or to plant roots, he will most likely head to South Florida IF he attends UNC-W if not he will attend FAU in South Florida....

I do thank those who contributed to this thread as it has been helpful

Old 07-31-2013, 02:55 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Quote:
Thats not real data, its anecdotal evidence.
That sentence makes no sense, are you an ECU grad?

Old 07-31-2013, 03:08 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,331 times
I'm an ECU graduate. I was accepted at NCSU, but preferred ECU because of the selection of majors, as well as the rural setting. ECU is one of the better schools in NC because of the selection of programs. Smaller schools like Wilmington, Pembroke, and Asheville are good schools, but have very little selection when it comes to major.

Everyone I knew from high school who attended UNCW went there for biology or marine sciences.

I must admit, ECU didn't have the greatest reputation among high school students. I remember hearing rumors that ECU has the highest percentage of students with STIs in the country and that people get drunk all the time. I never lived in a dorm and never hung out with stupid people, so I don't know if it's true or not. However, I attended graduate school at a large Midwestern flagship school and noticed that the quality of students was higher than ECU students. I'm sure there was partying, but students seemed more serious about academics.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:47 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Their nursing program is pretty good I hear, and the FACT remains that four of my daughter's friends and my daughter, so a sample size of 5 were rejected by UNCW and got in ECU with no questions asked.

You can say what you want, but that is real data.
Not trying to argue, but let's put some context out there...ECU admits at least twice as many freshmen students every year than does UNCW...so it should not be surprising that kids get into ECU and not UNCW. Its purely a numbers game...and as folks have stated, UNCW can afford to be selective because of its location.

I thought the post above about programs also gave some good perspective...when you go to a smaller school like UNCW, you have less programs to choose from....FAU has 30K students so I would assume they have a lot of programs. IIRC, FAU and ECU are categorized the same as National Universities and UNCW is a Regional (South)...FAU actually has the best admission rate...only 34% get in...UNCW is 53%...ECU is 61%.

There's way too much made of admissions standards on the rankings of schools (and reputation), IMO. The standardized test scores of incoming students don't reflect things about the school like facilities, professors, student life, housing, and quality of programs offered. They only reflect how selective the school is. UNCW has purposely kept its numbers low (even though NC population has boomed) in order to be more selective. The school itself hasn't changed, although rankings infer it has. That being said, Wilmington is a great place to go to live while you are going to school.

Getting back to your original point, I would have to assume that you feel all 5 of those folks were college material...so there isn't really a problem of ECU admitting them, correct? And to piggyback that point, if you want to be a doctor, nurse, dentist, or in the health field, ECU is a great place to go because you are more likely to get into their grad programs and there are placement opportunities for high paying jobs.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:01 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,374,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Not trying to argue, but let's put some context out there...ECU admits at least twice as many freshmen students every year than does UNCW...so it should not be surprising that kids get into ECU and not UNCW. Its purely a numbers game...and as folks have stated, UNCW can afford to be selective because of its location.

I thought the post above about programs also gave some good perspective...when you go to a smaller school like UNCW, you have less programs to choose from....FAU has 30K students so I would assume they have a lot of programs. IIRC, FAU and ECU are categorized the same as National Universities and UNCW is a Regional (South)...FAU actually has the best admission rate...only 34% get in...UNCW is 53%...ECU is 61%.

There's way too much made of admissions standards on the rankings of schools (and reputation), IMO. The standardized test scores of incoming students don't reflect things about the school like facilities, professors, student life, housing, and quality of programs offered. They only reflect how selective the school is. UNCW has purposely kept its numbers low (even though NC population has boomed) in order to be more selective. The school itself hasn't changed, although rankings infer it has. That being said, Wilmington is a great place to go to live while you are going to school.

Getting back to your original point, I would have to assume that you feel all 5 of those folks were college material...so there isn't really a problem of ECU admitting them, correct? And to piggyback that point, if you want to be a doctor, nurse, dentist, or in the health field, ECU is a great place to go because you are more likely to get into their grad programs and there are placement opportunities for high paying jobs.
FAU also has a great placement program as well as getting into their Grad School, which was the one thing we really liked about the school Compared to UNC-W

The cost is a big factor as wel, FAU out of state is 33k a year for school considering as a PT he would not earn more than 85k a year from everything we read and speaking with some PT's so if his loans exceed his income it will be difficult to pay back..Now he is also going to be certified for Personal Training and plans to do that on the side, but lets face it high Loans Suck when 1st starting out...

Old 07-31-2013, 06:40 PM

264 posts, read 907,440 times
ECU is fine for nurses and teachers. ECU does have a reputation for non serious students who like to party. They are trying to change repuation by having an honors program but until they cut down on the drinking nothing is going to change. G-Vegas is not the safest town either. UNCW has a good reputation in the area as some call it "little Carolina".

Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
ECU is fine for nurses and teachers. ECU does have a reputation for non serious students who like to party. They are trying to change repuation by having an honors program but until they cut down on the drinking nothing is going to change. G-Vegas is not the safest town either. UNCW has a good reputation in the area as some call it "little Carolina".
LOL What? I have NEVER heard of that.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:35 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,813 times
Quote:
...Their only outstanding program is marine biology...
...and Nursing, Theater, Communication Studies, Elementary Education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina