U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 04:21 AM

3 posts, read 2,443 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I'm heading to Wilmington UNCW for the 2014 calendar year, as a student. But, as a mature age student getting another degree, I obviously won't be living on campus.

I have been a professional in the Australian LNG construction industry for just over a decade, and had the opportunity to come to NC for 12 months of my degree.

So my question relates to how much difficulty am I going to have renting an apartment? As I will be on a student visa so will not be working, and of course have no American credit history. Is this going to be a huge problem?? What will I have to prove to be approved to rent a property.

I own my own home in Australia, and can afford to support myself fairly comfortably for the 12 months I will be in Wilmington. .And just want somewhere quiet,private and clean.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:43 AM

196 posts, read 500,674 times
Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi!!

Sorry just needed to be said! Lots of GREAT Aussie female lacrosse players have gone through my alma mater.

I have no insight into renting but I would suspect most American undergraduates don't have much credit history either. Hopefully all you will need is a security deposit. Go on the high side and plan for at least two months for that, maybe three in extreme cases. As a "returning" student you might enjoy renting closer to downtown Wilmington with the restaurants and nightspots, or toward Wrightsville Beach, if the costs are prohibitive.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the reply wrestlingterp! wow Lacrosse? not really a sport too many Aussies play! Yes
I was hoping to be downtown, and certainly away from any "student" residential areas (that was great fun when I was 20, but sure dont want to be near those parties now!).

I have been doing a little research, and most apartments require SSN (which you are not eligble for on a Student Visa) and all are saying valid credit check as well. Also some advertisments, mention co-signing, if a student, not sure how I would go about this? As of course I am an independant adult.

If anyone else could shed some light on this it would be great.

I am hoping that if I can show sufficent funds in an American Bank account that will suffice?

Old 08-02-2013, 07:08 AM

1,960 posts, read 2,636,805 times
the other option would be to
rent thru a private person.
those ads would be found in
the local newspaper or just
by word of mouth.
www.starnews.com

I would go meet and talk to rental
managing companies face to face and
I bet something will work in your favor.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 AM

196 posts, read 500,674 times
But the lacrosse players the Aussie do have are among the best in the world! Jen Adams Bio - Loyola University Maryland Official Athletic Site

Given your situation contacting the companies directly as suggested might be the way to go. You might also try Realtor.com, there may be people renting their places on their own who are more flexible. Wilmington NC Apartments, Homes and Houses for Rent - realtor.com®

Old 08-02-2013, 11:12 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,361,917 times
The Student Union has a place where folks post sub-leases or a need for a student to rent rooms...I would suggest working through UNCW to attain off campus housing in this way. Its just a temporary situation, so why not give yourself some flexibility.

Keep in mind that if living downtown, you can take the bus (I have known a number of UNCW students who have done this), which may be easier than driving, although it may require a station transfer. Living downtown also doesn't require a car...and the buses go to the Mall, grocery stores, etc...

http://www.wavetransit.com/Portals/0...System_Map.pdf

Old 08-02-2013, 02:08 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will be putting them into practice as soon as I get there. Really pleased to seen that there should be some flexibility! I would be an ideal tenant as I'm a landlord here ( or I think so anyway! ) looking forward very much to coming back to this lovely part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina