Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:57 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I will be staying in Corolla the week starting June 19th, coming from Northern Virginia. How will the traffic be that Saturday getting out there? Should we come down Friday or at least part of the way? What are the times to avoid on a Saturday during the summer?

Also, any thoughts as to the weather that week? Typically hot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 08:33 AM

149 posts, read 596,187 times
We have been vacationing in Corolla for many years. It is essential to get across the causeway bridge before noon. The earlier the better. We're there in July. I imagine it should be pretty nice in June. The water might be a little cool.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:24 PM

79 posts, read 318,319 times
If you're concerned about traffic,you might want to consider coming down on Fri and spending a night at a motel,such as the Hampton Inn in Corolla,or the Kitty Hawk Garden Hilton.Traffic can be heavy on Sat,especially in the afternoon and evenings,early to mid morning should be OK.

Temps average in the mid 80's in mid to late June.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:48 AM

From No. Va. you could probably leave by 5 or 6 am (dependeing on your exact location) and be OK. If leaving on Sunday, you need to be on the road by 6-6:30 am to avoid heavy traffic when leaving. Good luck, and have fun.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:57 AM

8 posts, read 20,838 times
Hi, can anyone tell me if traffic to the Outer Banks has changed since this thread was last discussed? We will be vacationing the last week of August in Corolla and travelling from Northern Virginia with 1 infant and 2 toddlers. Does anyone have suggestions for when the best time to travel would be while considering the 4pm check in time? We will be staying in Norfolk and are debating whether to come in early (and somehow figure out how to keep the 3 little ones entertained until checkin) or come in the evening after 'rush hour'. If anyone knows what the heaviest traffic times are that would be really helpful!

Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfh97 View Post
Hi, can anyone tell me if traffic to the Outer Banks has changed since this thread was last discussed? We will be vacationing the last week of August in Corolla and travelling from Northern Virginia with 1 infant and 2 toddlers. Does anyone have suggestions for when the best time to travel would be while considering the 4pm check in time? We will be staying in Norfolk and are debating whether to come in early (and somehow figure out how to keep the 3 little ones entertained until checkin) or come in the evening after 'rush hour'. If anyone knows what the heaviest traffic times are that would be really helpful!
You didn't specify what day and traffic will be lighter the last week of July as North Carolina schools are back in session. Im not sure about Virginians school date but it will be less busy than peak season of July.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You didn't specify what day and traffic will be lighter the last week of July as North Carolina schools are back in session. Im not sure about Virginians school date but it will be less busy than peak season of July.
Thanks for the tip about the school sessions - I'm surprised the school is back in session that early but hopefully that will be to our benefit. We are doing a Saturday to Saturday rental in Corolla the last week of August. Would you know the peak times of traffic onto the island and the road going north into Duck/Corolla?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
All the other houses will have similar time to check in so the traffic would peak then.

Come early you can grocery shop in Harris Teeter that located on the right after you cross the bridge.
Another time killer is explore the park & trails at Currituck Lighthouse. Also if early you may not have the keys but you can park at your rental and walk to the beach.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfh97 View Post
I would still try to get across the causeway bridge before noon. I don't recommend stopping anywhere until you get past Duck. There is a place called Timbutu just before Corolla that has shops and restraunts. You can kill some time there, go to the beach, or lighthouse. It's better to try to find something to do rather than sit in traffic for hours. Traffic doesn't die down to 6 or 7 PM at the earliest.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_d_bear View Post
I would still try to get across the causeway bridge before noon. I don't recommend stopping anywhere until you get past Duck. There is a place called Timbutu just before Corolla that has shops and restraunts. You can kill some time there, go to the beach, or lighthouse. It's better to try to find something to do rather than sit in traffic for hours. Traffic doesn't die down to 6 or 7 PM at the earliest.
This was exactly the type of information I was looking for, thanks!!! Getting there before noon might be the best bet for us. Great suggestions also
Quote:
Traffic doesn't die down to 6 or 7 PM at the earliest.
..and what about at the latest? There was one person who posted on another site that they got onto the bypass around 9PM and were sitting in traffic until 11 PM to get onto the island and into Duck! Do you find that common for late August?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina