Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:57 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times

Advertisements

We have been looking at a few beautiful communities in Wilmington and Leland and wanted to know if there were Jewish People and or Families that live in these areas

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 10:03 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
We have been looking at a few beautiful communities in Wilmington and Leland and wanted to know if there were Jewish People and or Families that live in these areas

Thanks
The main C-D profile on Wilmington gives a 1.6% Jewish population from the last census. Leland's Jewish population must be among the 1.8% Other. There are several synagogues or temples in Wilmington, but none in Leland.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The main C-D profile on Wilmington gives a 1.6% Jewish population from the last census. Leland's Jewish population must be among the 1.8% Other. There are several synagogues or temples in Wilmington, but none in Leland.
Thank you Golden I did google the Synagogues and found 2 in Wilmington We have been starting research on Compass Pointe, and Brunswick Forest I must say we really like Compass Pointe from what we have been reading and seeing..

I appreciate your response

I know its a small population..Maybe I will give them a Call as well....

Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,794 times
Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky but why is it whenever Jewish people look to move to a area they always inquire about whether or not there are other "Jewish People" living in the town or area? I'm not trying to be mean but i have never heard Catholics, Protestants, Episcapalens, etc ask this question.
Its the same if a Irish couple or Italian couple asked I only want to move in a town with Irish, or Italians.
I'm never too old to learn something but why do people of the Jewish faith always do this??

Old 08-08-2013, 12:47 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
I'm never too old to learn something but why do people of the Jewish faith always do this??
One reason is there there needs to be a certain number of men (a Minyan) to constitute a valid worship service. Another reason is the availability of synagogues, kosher food, social clubs, potential partners for one's children, etc. It is difficult to conduct a true Jewish life without an appropriate number of people of the same faith around one.

HTH.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-08-2013 at 01:17 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
One reason is there there needs to be a certain number of men (a Minyan) to constitute a valid worship service. Another reason is the availability of synagogues, kosher food, social clubs, potential partners for one's children, etc. It is difficult to conduct a true Jewish life without an appropriate number of people of the same faith around one.

HTH.
Hey Golden,

Thx for responding, as i look at the reasons I guess the only one that holds any water would be "The Minyan". All the other reasons would be the same for any religion or nationality, wouldn't it. I guess what I'm trying to say is i socialize-befriend people no matter what color, religion, nationality, etc they are. I've moved 7 times to 7 differnet states and we never were concerned on these topics.

Oh well, back to NC Coast!!!

Can't wait to get down there full time......

Old 08-08-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Hey Golden,

Thx for responding, as i look at the reasons I guess the only one that holds any water would be "The Minyan". All the other reasons would be the same for any religion or nationality, wouldn't it. I guess what I'm trying to say is i socialize-befriend people no matter what color, religion, nationality, etc they are. I've moved 7 times to 7 differnet states and we never were concerned on these topics.

Oh well, back to NC Coast!!!

Can't wait to get down there full time......

Bis let me try and say this without putting my foot in my mouth..when your a Minority like us jewish people in some southern states, its nice to know there are people of our faith its no different than someone being Catholic or methodist if they were surrounded by Jewish people and all they saw were our Temples etc, they too would want to know that there were people with the same religion as them...My brother in law is irish catholic, my best friend is not jewish and then there are my jewish friends back home...for our family we have no problem with mixed religions however I would like to be somewhere we felt comfortable..My son was bullied in school back in 7th and 8th grade about being Jewish and we lived in Charlotte..and in the whole school the percentage was quite small and still is...I too have lived in 6 other states and I have encountered my share of Anti-Semits against Jews and since we grew up in Brooklyn NY our friends were Non Jewish, Jewish, Hispanic etc and no one cared what you were

Old 08-08-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Bis let me try and say this without putting my foot in my mouth..when your a Minority like us jewish people in some southern states, its nice to know there are people of our faith its no different than someone being Catholic or methodist if they were surrounded by Jewish people and all they saw were our Temples etc, they too would want to know that there were people with the same religion as them...My brother in law is irish catholic, my best friend is not jewish and then there are my jewish friends back home...for our family we have no problem with mixed religions however I would like to be somewhere we felt comfortable..My son was bullied in school back in 7th and 8th grade about being Jewish and we lived in Charlotte..and in the whole school the percentage was quite small and still is...I too have lived in 6 other states and I have encountered my share of Anti-Semits against Jews and since we grew up in Brooklyn NY our friends were Non Jewish, Jewish, Hispanic etc and no one cared what you were
All cool. Funny you say you live in Charlotte because before i moved back to NYC we lived in Charlotte as well for 20 years. Us Irish Catholics, with a NJ Accent, struggled a bit as well because Charlotte was predominantly Baptist back in mid 80's. They only had 2 Catholic grammer school back than St Gabriels and St Patricks.

I hear ya and all cool with me. I'll have a beer with ya once i move back South!!!!

Old 08-08-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
All cool. Funny you say you live in Charlotte because before i moved back to NYC we lived in Charlotte as well for 20 years. Us Irish Catholics, with a NJ Accent, struggled a bit as well because Charlotte was predominantly Baptist back in mid 80's. They only had 2 Catholic grammer school back than St Gabriels and St Patricks.

I hear ya and all cool with me. I'll have a beer with ya once i move back South!!!!
LMAO your funny

but I must tell you Charlotte hasn't changed much since you left...You can have a beer I will have a glass of Sweet Red Wine....

Old 08-08-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:

We lived in Manalapan and Millstone Township and Jackson I see your in Tinton Falls!!

Good Luck back to the South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina